Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

Guess I should introduce myself. I'm Bryn; I've only just started this weight-loss process but I am 99% sold on the VSG and this forum has so far proven to be a GREAT resource that I am glad I found! So many of you seem very nice and friendly, incredibly knowledgable and from so many backgrounds that 'troubleshooting' seems like it will be, if not a piece of cake, at least easier than it would be on my own.

I've been overweight since I was a little kid (like 8 years old) and obese (I hate that word) since I was 20 or 21; I'm 32 now. Some of the symptoms I am having of being so big are debilitating (back pain) so the lightbulb eventually went on and I decided I needed to do Something Big.

Hence Operation New Leaf.

Based on what my insurance will cover (I am SO lucky here) I have selected the sleep Study: 1/21-22/11

EKG: 1/22/11

Bloodwork: 1/22/11

Psych Eval: 1/26/11 (I am bipolar, so am having my regular psych do this instead of one of the GBMC-COMP in-house psychs)

I am both excited and scared by the long road that I see in front of me, but I know that I can do it. Moreover, I know that I have to or the life that I want to live will be beyond my grasp.

These new leaf things are awful heavy! Nobody warned me! :lol:

Anyway...

that's my story so far.

Best,

Bryn

Hello Bryn, and welcome to VST and to the rest of your life. I really like how you gave it an Operation! Very nice, for it is going to be a lot of work - both pre and post op. Take a look around, read up as much as you can. Ask some questions, I'm sure there will be answers to just about anything you could possibly think of.

Wishing you all the best in this upcoming journey!!

Good luck, Bryn! Like LilMissDiva said, if you need anything at all, let us know! :) It's an exciting time to make positive changes in our lives, isnt' it? :)

Good luck on your journey.

I am in Baltimore, but I had my surgery at Franklin Square. Typically I hate them, but I really liked the surgeon there.

My experience was GREAT, and I'm forever thankful!

I know two people who had their surgery at GBMC and they both LOVE it. One had RNY and the other VSG!

If you need to talk, MSG me! :)

Thanks for the responses!

It is definitely exciting, though sometimes I do get discouraged. The 'what-if's' sneak in and start asking me questions - what if I can't keep up with the eating requirements, what if I can't do the exercise as much as I should, what if what if whatifwhatifwhatif. I hate the whatifs. I just keep reminding myself to take it one day at a time - to really be present through the process, learn all I can from the nutritionist and the groups, and from resources like this forum.

Nice to know there are others in Baltimore too, thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

Today I had a small serving of Pasta - the nutritionist said to go as low carb as possible but I figured this small serving couldn't hurt and am still under 200 for the day (not that I'm counting.) I have a calorie counter I signed up for free on caloriecount.about.com and it also counts all sorts of other stuff. The only thing that alarms mea little is how high the sodium is. I am going to have to start making a point to get low sodium items.

Thanks for the responses!

It is definitely exciting, though sometimes I do get discouraged. The 'what-if's' sneak in and start asking me questions - what if I can't keep up with the eating requirements, what if I can't do the exercise as much as I should, what if what if whatifwhatifwhatif. I hate the whatifs. I just keep reminding myself to take it one day at a time - to really be present through the process, learn all I can from the nutritionist and the groups, and from resources like this forum.

Nice to know there are others in Baltimore too, thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

Today I had a small serving of Pasta - the nutritionist said to go as low carb as possible but I figured this small serving couldn't hurt and am still under 200 for the day (not that I'm counting.) I have a calorie counter I signed up for free on caloriecount.about.com and it also counts all sorts of other stuff. The only thing that alarms mea little is how high the sodium is. I am going to have to start making a point to get low sodium items.

The what if's have always been an issue for me, you certainly aren't alone in those feelings. I'm losing pretty good, and I still get those what if feelings. I hate it!! What if... this is all the weight I lose and I *still* don't get below even my lowest lap band weight? Crazy stuff... I mean, I have to get lower - as long as I'm doing what I'm supposed to do!!

The sodium thing is a big one. Having too much will have you holding your fluids and make your scale say ugly things to you. Doing low sodium can't hurt...

Good luck to you!! I think you're on the right track. :D

The what if's have always been an issue for me, you certainly aren't alone in those feelings. I'm losing pretty good, and I still get those what if feelings. I hate it!! What if... this is all the weight I lose and I *still* don't get below even my lowest lap band weight? Crazy stuff... I mean, I have to get lower - as long as I'm doing what I'm supposed to do!!

The sodium thing is a big one. Having too much will have you holding your fluids and make your scale say ugly things to you. Doing low sodium can't hurt...

Good luck to you!! I think you're on the right track. :D

Ugh, I didn't even think about that - sodium being too high = Fluid retention. It's amazing - I went through all this nutrition stuff in health class in high school and sure, I learned it superficially, but now it's sinking in how everything is linked to everything else! Oy!

The nutritionist and surgeon's office gave me a binder - this GBMC-COMP program really is comprehensive as all get-out - with all kinds of resources, sample diets, etc. It also has all the rx forms for my preop testing and explanations of what each test is, plus information on the postop diet that doesn't even apply to me (yet!) and stuff like that. The numbers I should be meeting are: <200g carbs, 70-90g Protein, <60g fats, 1800 cals. Right now I'm meeting the carbs and cals and working hard on the Protein. The fats is still high so that will be my next big focus, and, of course, the sodium. (Goodbye my best friend salt, how I will miss you...) Haha.

I haven't had soda in a whole week. Nothing carbonated at all. It's been surprisingly easy after the first couple days, but I am drinking a lot of mix-ins - Crystal Light and stuff. Maybe that is not helping the sodium - I'll check into it.

I'm starting from 'scratch' - no lap-band before sleeving, so I don't know how my weight loss will go. I expect it'll be quick for a month or so and then will start to slow down - hoping that I'm wrong.

Thanks for your support here. It means a lot, even though I'm so far out from a surgery date still. Just gotta walk the path and make it there - the gateway to the rest of my life! :)

Good luck Bryn I just had my surgery 4 weeks ago and it is still a day to day struggle but I am taking it one day at a time I know you will be great.

Hi All,

Guess I should introduce myself. I'm Bryn; I've only just started this weight-loss process but I am 99% sold on the VSG and this forum has so far proven to be a GREAT resource that I am glad I found! So many of you seem very nice and friendly, incredibly knowledgable and from so many backgrounds that 'troubleshooting' seems like it will be, if not a piece of cake, at least easier than it would be on my own.

I've been overweight since I was a little kid (like 8 years old) and obese (I hate that word) since I was 20 or 21; I'm 32 now. Some of the symptoms I am having of being so big are debilitating (back pain) so the lightbulb eventually went on and I decided I needed to do Something Big.

Hence Operation New Leaf.

Based on what my insurance will cover (I am SO lucky here) I have selected the COMP (Comprehensive Obesity Management Program) based out of GBMC hospital here in Baltimore. The program is based on a 6 or 8 month track to both meet insurance requirements and clear/prep you for surgery. They do both LAP-Band and REALIZE-Band, VSG and RNY bypass from this facility. I've had surgery in the past at GBMC and can only speak highly of the hospital as a whole, so this figured heavily in my decision as well.

The program helps you with a nutritionist for the entire track (mine will be 6 months) plus has you consult with the surgeon 3 or 4 times, plus has you attend at least 3 support groups in addition to all the basic preop testing. My surgeon will be Dr. Peter Liao. Here's where I'm at so far:

Information Session Attended: 12/11/10

Initial Consultation with Nutritionist, Surgeon & Insurance Coordinator: 1/11/11

sleep Study: 1/21-22/11

EKG: 1/22/11

Bloodwork: 1/22/11

Psych Eval: 1/26/11 (I am bipolar, so am having my regular psych do this instead of one of the GBMC-COMP in-house psychs)

I am both excited and scared by the long road that I see in front of me, but I know that I can do it. Moreover, I know that I have to or the life that I want to live will be beyond my grasp.

These new leaf things are awful heavy! Nobody warned me! :lol:

Anyway...

that's my story so far.

Best,

Bryn

Well, I went and got my sleep study done, as well as my preliminary bloodwork and EKG. Turns out I do, in fact, have sleep apnea. Oh joy, yet another expense on the insurance. I don't know how well I'll do with the cpap, but I can tell you that I feel pretty good after the 3 hours sleep with it on in the study center. It's a weird feeling to have it on, the way it sort of... inflates your throat kinda. Hard to describe.

I feel even better after washing all the goop out of my hair from the electrodes. Bleh!

Now off to catch a few more Zs before the day begins!

Another journey update - I have a surgery date! July 12th -- sooner than I had hoped for! I'm thrilled that it's so soon.

Now to jump through a few more testing hoops before the surgery...

Well, things are still going along as they do. I just got my approval yesterday and am pretty SQUEE about that - it kept me from falling asleep last night, in fact - I had to take sleeping meds for the first time in a long time to get to sleep. I was like a kid with a new pair of shoes!

Monday I started my low-carb pre-op diet - less than 100g carbs, 2 Meal Replacement shakes plus a 'lean and green' meal. So far I'm doing well on that, though the scale hasn't moved yet. Silly scale. Don't you know you're supposed to make me happy?

Surgery will be proceeding on July 12th. Less than 2 weeks away, now. I'm excited about it. The nervousness hasn't hit yet.

Another milestone reached. Next one's the biggie. Then it's just a matter of staying on the right path!

Thanks to all for their various encouragement and congratulations and all that good stuff. This forum has been incredibly helpful in preparing me for the surgery process and beyond. You should all pat yourselves on the back.

Hugs from me!

LIL SISTER I am so happy for you and your date to the NEW YOU. You will do great cause you have so many new neighbors here to help you and we are all wanting the same for you as we do ourselves, a new healthier life style. Please keep me posted on everything so I will know what to expect. I am so excited for you that your can have your surgery so soon. YOU GO LIL SISTER, YOU GO. :cheer2: :success1:

That is wonderful Bryn!!! Congratulations! I look forward to hearing all your milestones :)