Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

I used to try the chew, chew, chew then spit out...but never ended up spitting the food out! Before I could even fix my mouth to spit anything out I had swallowed the food and didn't even know it!!?de03

I'm a chew and spitter lol. My family brought home fried chicken for dinner and that's my weakness ... I'm on the tail end of full liquids (surgery was 3/21), and couldn't resist... So I chew a couple of bites (careful to no even swallow the juices) and then spit it out, and it really fixes the craving as GROSS of a habit it is.

I'm a chew and spitter lol. My family brought home fried chicken for dinner and that's my weakness ... I'm on the tail end of full liquids (surgery was 3/21), and couldn't resist... So I chew a couple of bites (careful to no even swallow the juices) and then spit it out, and it really fixes the craving as GROSS of a habit it is.

You really have to watch that habit as it can potentially turn into an eating disorder. I tell the newbies at my support group the same, as a number of veterans who did that early on have delivered problems. I stuck to the plan, I am 14 months post-op and 128lbs lighter for my efforts. Good luck to you.

Hi mrsfitn2014! Im in Dallas also. Im still fulfilling my insurance requirements but i just have 1 week left until they submit everything to the insurance company. Which dr are you using?

Hey well in the beginning it can be a little difficult to get it together but trust me you will. When i came home I ate refried Beans with fat free cheese and salsa which I had to chew alot to make sure I got it done with no problem. I did cream of chicken Soup which I really enjoyed since it was warm going down. Now that things I enjoyed the most was my sugar free Jello and pudding cups, sugar free popcicles which these things I still love them now. I also ate mashed potatoes but had to cut back was having it to often.

Hi All!

I wanted to start a thread for African-American sleevers (no worries I HEART all sleevers from the rainbow). I just thought, no scientific proof, that African-American sleevers may respond to the surgery different than our lovely non-African American sleeved sisters and brothers. I wanted to know if we had the same skin issue, hair problems, and other surgery related issues. Also, how to deal with the culture shock. African-American "soul food" may be something of the past... or not. So I was just looking for a space to voice culture related issues and concens.

PS- I TRULY :heart: ALL SLEEVERS.

Hi everyone I was sleeved 6 days ago. Everything went great I was up walking around in the recovery room. No stomach or gas pain, no back, neck, knee or elbow pain. I just had left shoulder pain & in both thighs & both arms in the muscle area. I guess that wasfrom being strapped down I was doing so well I was sent home the next day.

Im not hungry but having major brain hunger. I'm the sucker/licker lol. Hubby dont eat the skin of his chicken so the other night he had rotisserie chicken from the spanish restaurant & I just sucked all the seasoning out of that thing. The other morning he left a half slice bacon on th stove & I sucked the flavor out of that. For lunch yesterday he had tuna fish & I ran my finger around the inside of the bowl 2 twice & today I had half of a chicken nugget mmmmm.

I had my first issue today drink broth, I think I drank to much & it just kept rising up in my throat. I walked around & once I belched I was fine. I didnt hurt.

Ive been able to sleep on both sides since the day of surgery & 4 days out I was able to lay on my stomach. I go tomorrow to have my dressing removed.

I took my first outside walk today for 20 minutes. I was borderline diabetic, high cholesterol over 300, sleep apnea, major back, neck, knee & elbow pain from a car accident 4 years ago.

Im 5 1, I started at 219 my first visit, 208 the day of surgery & today 6 days later im 197, 11 pounds in a week.

What soft foods did everyone start with, I still have another week on liquids.

Since im a brown girl/AA im looking for support & to support others like me. Im loving mysleeve so far.

Nope! I only tried that once!! Lol!!

Oh ok lol I haven't done it in 2 days lol. Woohoo

Oh ok lol I haven't done it in 2 days lol. Woohoo

Oh ok. I haven't done it in 2 days woohoo go me.

@@521Diva Oh and congratulations on a successful surgery! Its really great to hear of people doing well afterwards!

Thank u. Saw the doc yesterday, im doing great. Cant eait til next Friday so I can start pureed food. What did u eat after the Protein Shakes?

My hair just this week started shedding...a lot. Any ideas on how to stop it? My Protein is high, I needed to add in some fruits and veggies more per my doctor.

U can get Biotin jell or pills & the hair, skin & nails pills. My doc told me this yesterday. Good luck

You really have to watch that habit as it can potentially turn into an eating disorder. I tell the newbies at my support group the same, as a number of veterans who did that early on have delivered problems. I stuck to the plan, I am 14 months post-op and 128lbs lighter for my efforts. Good luck to you.

I start pureed food next week, any ideas?

I start pureed foods next Friday, im lost, any suggestions on what to eat & how to puree the food?

Hi everyone, I'm a pre-op sleever:) I will be having my sleeve done next month. I've already increased my Water intake, started using shea butter, taking msm and Biotin to try to prevent a lot of excess skin.

Hi everyone, I'm a pre-op sleever:) I will be having my sleeve done next month. I've already increased my Water intake, started using shea butter, taking msm and Biotin to try to prevent a lot of excess skin.

Sounds like u are ready, which is great. Good luck.

I start pureed foods next Friday, im lost, any suggestions on what to eat & how to puree the food?

I puréed mainly turkey meatballs, deli turkey and chicken breast or deli chicken breast. I bought a mini food processor from Walmart to use since the amounts were so small. Not absolutely necessary if you have a blender, but I was pureeing like 2 meatballs at a time. Everything has to be very very moist, so I made sure not to overcook anything. My crockpot was great for this. I made basic seasoned meatballs and used them in different ways (with gravy, taco flavored, etc). If I liked something, I ate it until I was sick of it and then changed it up. I also researched puréed diets on the internet and tried some recipes. I would just make really small amounts of things because in the beginning, you really don't eat much. I could only eat a tablespoon or 2 (you may have a different capacity because my doctor is known to do a very small sleeve). Good luck to you :)

Edited by back2barb78

I am a lapband to sleeve and i take Biotin and msm...I went from size 18 to 10 no excessive skin no hair loss!! I worked out, walking 3 miles a day 5-6 days a week no other excercise..sadly to say with band complications I am now in 14/16 but happy to say Im being sleeved April 9th to start my new journey....i used a blender and a chopper from Walmart on pureed food as well, i would ad a lil broth to make it juicy...good luck ladies I wish the best for all of us!!