Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clear fluid coming out of one of my incisions-

Both of two lowest incisions sit right where my waist line is on my pants. On Friday, I was wearing jeans and I guess it was rubbing against them. One of the incisions opened and some Fluid (and a little blood) starting running out. I cleaned it and put anti-bacterial ointment on it. It seems better, I just wanted to know if anyone else had happen. What did you do? I don't want to get an infection. I am almost three weeks post-op. Thanks!

This happened to me too. I was at the Dollar Store and all of a sudden my whole belly was wet. My doctor said that it wasn't unusual and that it was actually liquid fat. All right by me. The more fat gone the better!...Carole

It should be fine - just keep it clean, apply a little antibiotic ointment and keep it covered while it is draining. Watch for signs of infection - excessive redness, drainage that changes from clear or a thin watery red drainage to yellow or thick. If you get this or develop a fever, call your doctor and have him look at it.

Both of two lowest incisions sit right where my waist line is on my pants. On Friday, I was wearing jeans and I guess it was rubbing against them. One of the incisions opened and some Fluid (and a little blood) starting running out. I cleaned it and put anti-bacterial ointment on it. It seems better, I just wanted to know if anyone else had happen. What did you do? I don't want to get an infection. I am almost three weeks post-op. Thanks!

This happened to me too. I was at the Dollar Store and all of a sudden my whole belly was wet. My doctor said that it wasn't unusual and that it was actually liquid fat. All right by me. The more fat gone the better!...Carole

Well if it's liquid fat, I guess I should be celebrating! LOL

The same thing happened to me yesterday. I was overdoing it and one of my incisions opened and i have that watery blood oozing. The doctor told me to use iodine and keep it covered until it dries and it will be fine. I hope it doesn't leave a hole in my stomach.

Trust me. They will close up just fine. Mine did. Even the one that leaked for several days looks just like the other ones. It was the biggest one and the doctor told me that was the one they did most of the work through. Hang in there it gets better!...Carole

This just happened to me too! I was taking a shower yesterday and I didn't notice that the waterproof adhesive tape sealing the edge of my main incision bandage had separated from the bandage. The bandage got wet. I took it off and noticed that the incision had opened -- only the top layer of skin -- but the Fluid was yellow and a little red, like watery blood. OMG! I panicked thinking I had gotten an infection somehow. My post-op paperwork said however that sometimes fat leaks out of the incision and looks either like butter or red wine, and it is not an infection but is normal. I put a dollop of antibiotic ointment on it just to be safe and put on a fresh bandage. This morning I removed the bandage just to check, and there was a tiny bit of discharge (like the equivalent of one small drop of liquid) and it was yellow. There is a small bit of yellowish almost like gel sitting on top of the skin that appears to be congealed a bit and I think that is new scar tissue forming. I am going to email my patient coordinator just to be on the safe side but I am thinking it's belly fat. You know I am paranoid about it though!

When the body receives a wound or open area, whether through injury or surgery, there is a potential for 4 different types of fluids to drain from the area. Each is an indication of the processes taking place, signaling whether your body is successfully healing itself or if there is a condition or conditions which are interfering with the proper healing of the wound.

Sanguinous or bloody drainage: When a wound is fresh, there is likely to be bright red drainage from it which indicates active injury. The body rushes blood to the area to begin the healing process immediately upon injury or incision. After surgery or incision, there may be small amounts of bloody drainage from the incision area. In some cases larger amounts of blood can be expected and will likely be contained within a wound drainage system secured to the surgical area.<BR itxtvisited="1">Serous or clear drainage: A clear, watery drainage or presence of Fluid on the wound or draining from the wound/incision site. This is one of the normal processes of early healing, but should subside after the healing process is sufficiently underway, which will depend on the type and severity of the wound or incision.<BR itxtvisited="1">Sero-sanguinous or pink or white drainage with flecks or rivulets of blood: This type of drainage is not uncommon early in the healing process. The amount of such drainage may indicate to health-care providers that active bleeding is continuing in the wound or under the incision site.<BR itxtvisited="1">Purulent or pus drainage: Purulent drainage may be yellow, green or light brown in color with a characteristic smell of pus. This is not a normal type of drainage from a wound or incision area and will likely be accompanied with increased redness, warmth and some swelling to the wound or incision area and you may experience an elevated temperature. Purulent drainage should be reported to your health-care provider as soon as possible.

The Pilonidal Support Alliance details another drainage that you are likely to notice beginning about 5 days after surgery, a drainage called exudate. This drainage may vary in color from white to yellow to gray to light brown and have a small amount of odor. This drainage is from your body working to cleanse itself of dead tissue and other materials which interfere with the healing process.<BR itxtvisited="1">If the drainage has a strong odor, or any signs of infection are present such as increase warmth and redness, increased pain, and/or swelling to the incision site, contact your health-care provider.

Read more: What is Serous Drainage? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5196566_serous-drainage_.html#ixzz1BFm3eF8P