Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 3 days. Scared.

My surgery is in three days. I am soooo nervous. I have had surgeries before and have never really been very nervous before. I am so scared and I don't know why. I know that I will be at the hospital for 2 nights (all other surgeries have been outpatient) so that should make me feel better. I am liking the idea of the pain pump, but I am still just scared *&$less

Yes, I can really feel what you're going through - went through the same thing. This is LIFE CHANGING surgery not just a little repair or change.

Stick with it and you'll get through it.

May the sleeve be with you.

Well I'm just starting the process and getting all my clearances.. but everyone here was scared.. I just got scared making all my appts to see the doctors.. thinking am I making the right choice and all the what ifs. But I truly believe that if we follow doctors orders there is nothing to fear. This will be my first surgery so I'm scared of that as well. But my little mind trick works wonders.. I just tell myself that the doctor wants me to have this surgery and that its necessary.. it kind of takes away from the fact that its ALL ur decision... best of luck and let is know when u get home with an update

I remember feeling the same way even though I have had other outpatient surgeries. This time it just seemed different. I realize now that I knew I was changing my life forever. I'm 6 weeks post-op and do not regret my choice. I have reduced the number of daily medications from 8 to 3 - most importantly, I'm taking 20 units of insulin when it used to be over 70 units. I am in control of my diabetes for the first time in a year. I hope by the end of the year that I will no longer be on any medication for blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol.

I am truly blessed.

Good luck!!!

I was the complete opposite. I am a "nervous nelly"....I threw up before my wedding because of nerves. I gag on the mornings we leave on a vacation. But for this surgery, you would think I would be puking all over the place and I was not. I was never nervous at all as I knew I was doing the best thing ever for myself. Dec 1st, I was wearing size W22/24 tops and W18/20 pants. For christmas I bought a new pair of pajamas sized XL (16/18). Today I bought a size LG 12/14...OMG....this is great. Don't freak out. You are making the right decision for your. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I have my surgery in 4 days and I am finally at peace with it. i thought for sure that I would be really scared at this point but I think that I am finally ready for a new me and a healthier me. I think that it is very normal to be scared but just keep on reading the great stories on this board of those that have gone before us and done fine. Best of luck with your surgery, you are going to be fine.

I just had my surgery on Monday. I was so nervous when I got to the hospital. I almost ran out the door just before they took me in the back. I told the nurse I was super nervous and she was so nice. I felt pretty calm after I met with everyone. The anethesiologist gave me something to calm me down and that was the last thing I remember. When I woke up I had wonderful care. They allowed my hubby to spend the night, which made me much more comfortable. Oh ya the Morphine pump also helped make me comfortable as well. LOL

It will all work out. Keep us posted!

My surgery is in three days. I am soooo nervous. I have had surgeries before and have never really been very nervous before. I am so scared and I don't know why. I know that I will be at the hospital for 2 nights (all other surgeries have been outpatient) so that should make me feel better. I am liking the idea of the pain pump, but I am still just scared *&$less

Hello:I don't want to tell you not to be nervious because being nervious showes 2 things( 1)that you really love you and want to do something to be around for a lil while longer and (2)that you are really depending on God,so when you go to the hosiptal say a prayer to the God Almighty and thank him for the freedom that he gave us to be able to make choices expecially the ones that allows us to want to love longer,this showes that you are relaying on him to get you through....Praying is a good thing...and being spiritual is even better....May God carry you through.....sleevless4now...but not for long...please blog and let us know how you are doing

Thank you all for the support. My hubby is super supportive, but I don't think he really understands. I am so glad I found this forum. All the experienced advice is really helpful.

I am feeling better about things today. Just trying to get laundry done and the house clean. Hubby will have enough going on with the 2 year old and me without starting behind. Gonna pack bag and enjoy a steak tonight. I am allowed a low carb dinner on my pre-op, but don't want to eat anything that heavy the night before surgery, so tonight is my last ribeye for a while and I am great with that.

Hi there-posted all my worries on band v sleeve and got loads of marvellous advice,this all has helped me make the decision to get my 3rd sleeve....2 on my arms (not for long i hope)and one on my belly !!! but like the author of this topic start -am really crapping myself !!i've never been in hospital-thank god-and at the end of the day,feel like i'm putting myself thru this -not coz i'm ill,but coz i'm fat and weak willed !!hey ho -we all are ,if it were that easy-no one would be fat !! RANT at myself in public over now !! i'm still getting loose bowels when i think of my op and its this saturday (22nd ) aaaaargh !!!!

I was really surprised at myself. I don't usually get nervous about things until right up until they are about to happen, then freak out for a short time, but I did not even bat an eyelash. I think because I had been mentally preparing myself by going through all the 6 month insurance requirements, etc. and attending support groups, and basically immersing myself in the idea of the surgery. Then, too, add to that the fact that I was supposed to be scheduled for December 16th, and I got a call the day before Thanksgiving asking me if I wanted to come in and have it the following Monday! I was too busy trying to get everything ready, clean house, pay bills, etc. that I didn't really have time to get nervous. It was really an easy surgery for me. Less pain and quicker recovery than gall bladder surgery. At a week and a half, I could not even tell that I had even had surgery.

You've done all the research. You've learned all the facts. You've made your decision. Time to close your eyes and leap! You'll wake up a happier, healthier person.

Hi, I was just a walking panic attack in the days leading up to my surgery. I was so scared. But I am so glad I had it done.