Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much was your self pay?

Hi ladies/dudes!

I am just starting this journey and am trying to do a little shopping around in the event BCBSNC will not pay. My BMI is around 33-34 and I have high cholesterol and (possibly) type II diabetes. I found a surgeon near Charlotte that charges 11,800 for sleeve but wanted to get some ideas from those of you that have looked around.

Travel is not going to be an expense factor as I have plenty of frequent flyer miles and Hilton hotel points to take me anywhere. I travel to Columbus, OH at least every 6 weeks or so anyway so that might be an option.

Travel is not going to be an expense factor as I have plenty of frequent flyer miles and Hilton hotel points to take me anywhere. I travel to Columbus, OH at least every 6 weeks or so anyway so that might be an option.

Theres always Mexico...

Hi ladies/dudes!

I am just starting this journey and am trying to do a little shopping around in the event BCBSNC will not pay. My BMI is around 33-34 and I have high cholesterol and (possibly) type II diabetes. I found a surgeon near Charlotte that charges 11,800 for sleeve but wanted to get some ideas from those of you that have looked around.

$15,500 over here in San Antonio texas but that included beautiful care for 3 days in a private hospital with a huge room that had a place for your guest etc. . . took out a loan at 3% so that is not too bad either. . .yippee almost paid off!

Theres always Mexico...

I actually looked at one surgeon (Cervas) prob didn't spell that right, but it was almost 10,000. If I'm going to spend anything over 8 or 9, I'll probably stay in the states. I actually had a boob job done in Costa Rica, so I'm no stranger ot Medical Tourism. :lol:

$15,500 over here in San Antonio texas but that included beautiful care for 3 days in a private hospital with a huge room that had a place for your guest etc. . . took out a loan at 3% so that is not too bad either. . .yippee almost paid off!

Thanks T.O.D., that really is a pretty sweet deal!

Thanks T.O.D., that really is a pretty sweet deal!

yes it is and it included 1 year of follow up care as well, included the hospital and the surgeons (you get 2), the anesthesia dude, the 3 days as i said, medication etc. . . i think it's a great deal and the best part, you get USA care

I am going to Mexico to have surgery next month with Dr . Ramos Kelly and it is costing me 5300 and that includes 2 nights at Hospital & 2 nights at a Hotel. There are several good Doctors over there with great prices just where ever you go and who ever you pick please do lots of research. I hope you find a great dr

I am going to Mexico to have surgery next month with Dr . Ramos Kelly and it is costing me 5300 and that includes 2 nights at Hospital & 2 nights at a Hotel. There are several good Doctors over there with great prices just where ever you go and who ever you pick please do lots of research. I hope you find a great dr

What was the deciding factor for Kelly over the others?

Well I like that he is from the US and he keeps you a day longer at the same lower price. I also couldn't find realy anything bad against him besides one infection , which is a risk anywhere you go. I was first going to use Dr. Almanza Reyes but there was just to many negative things with his past for me to be comfortable. He was only a few hundred more and I like that you recover in a hotel not a recovery house where my guest may not be able to stay with me. In the recovery house if there is nit room your guest must go to a hotel at your expense.

I hate to bash a Doctor who has never treated me but he was just not a fit for me. I just had a bad feeling in the pit if my stomach that is gone now. I hope I helped and maybe we will be in Mexico around the same time

If you're going to Mexico please don't decide by the price. I know everyone wants to save money because this is very expensive. Choosing a doctor whose skill level is in question with a lot of people getting infections after surgery, is not a good choice. The price may very well be lower, but research any doctor you are thinking of . It's easy to research a doctor to find out if the people who went to them and the facility which they practice out of , got any infections or leaks.

This is your life. You a putting your life in someone's hands who is going to cut off 85% of your stomach.

17,500 here in San Francisco, where EVERYTHING is arbitrarily expensive. The surgeon fee is 10,000, hospital is 6500, and anesthesia is 1000. I asked if I could opt out of the anesthesia, no go. :/

I'm shooting for 2/10 if I could raise the cash. I was 100% sure this is what I wanted until last night when I read that post about the catheter... no one ever mentioned that before. My resolve has since returned. Phew!