Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my vsg was in mid august, is this normal?

Hello everyone,

I had my surgery in mid-august. I was 271 at surgery. I am 213 now (well, 215 truly because of weight gain since Christmas -but it isgoing back down...).

I am worried because I met with my nutrionist this week and she mentioned that I should only be eating 2 oz. of food at a meal. I can eat much more than that.

My surgeon said I should be at 200lbs by New years. I am not. What do you think?

I am trying to stay below 30 carbs and above 80 Proteins a day...

i wonder why I am not losing faster.

I am down 90 pounds since 2010. So, I am not totally unhappy.

Please send me your advice.

Thank you.

You lost 58 pounds in a little over 4 months! That is awesome! Tell me when was the last time you lost that much weight and kept it off in 4 months? That works out to more than 3 lbs a week so I would say it sounds like you are on track. Everyone looses the weight at different rates. If you are doing everything right and following the recommend food plan I would not worry about how fast or slow you are loosing.

Keep up the great progress!

Thank you Autumn Lily,

I just don't want to goof this up. I have lost weight before (like most of us) and obviously, I was not able to keep it off....

My VSG has given me my life back. I guess I am focused on a number and not the process right now....

I need to refocus.

thank you for your reply.

Happy New Year!!!

Jeannie

You lost 58 pounds in a little over 4 months! That is awesome! Tell me when was the last time you lost that much weight and kept it off in 4 months? That works out to more than 3 lbs a week so I would say it sounds like you are on track. Everyone looses the weight at different rates. If you are doing everything right and following the recommend food plan I would not worry about how fast or slow you are loosing.

Keep up the great progress!

My doc said that it was 2 oz in the beginning but I can eat more like 3-4 oz now - depending on what it is. You'd have to be eating literally ALL day long at 2 oz per sitting just to get your 1200 calories in so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode.

Hey readytosoar,

I too think you are doing well... what bothers me is the 2oz of food thing... I eat three meals a day and I can eat between 6oz and 8oz in one sitting, within a 20 mins time frame...

I think the best way to go forward, and I am trying to do this, is to go at your own body's rate... keep doing what you are doing cos it sounds like you've got it in the bag... well done and keep up the good work! =]

Thank you very much. I really needed this encouragement. I think I am pretty good at psyching myself out and then I can spiral down.

I appreciate your experience too.

Good luck to you and Happy New Year!!!

jeannie

Hey readytosoar,

I too think you are doing well... what bothers me is the 2oz of food thing... I eat three meals a day and I can eat between 6oz and 8oz in one sitting, within a 20 mins time frame...

I think the best way to go forward, and I am trying to do this, is to go at your own body's rate... keep doing what you are doing cos it sounds like you've got it in the bag... well done and keep up the good work! =]

No probs... keep your head up high,,. you can and will be successful!! Good luck =]

Hello everyone,

I had my surgery in mid-august. I was 271 at surgery. I am 213 now (well, 215 truly because of weight gain since Christmas -but it isgoing back down...).

I am worried because I met with my nutrionist this week and she mentioned that I should only be eating 2 oz. of food at a meal. I can eat much more than that.

My surgeon said I should be at 200lbs by New years. I am not. What do you think?

I am trying to stay below 30 carbs and above 80 Proteins a day...

i wonder why I am not losing faster.

I am down 90 pounds since 2010. So, I am not totally unhappy.

Please send me your advice.

Thank you.

hi there, hey don't be discouraged we all lose at our own rate. . .what the surgeon says is just a guideline, it doesn't mean you SHOULD be there. . .your doing really well, so just keep on doing what your doing cause we have the sleeve and there is no way we are going to be the way we were before the surgery. . . no way at all!!!

I hope to have your results in 4 mos. I was sleeved Dec 1st. I am currently losing 3 lbs a week. Every doctor is different and at first I was allowed 2 oz but that will gradually increase. How many calories a day are you eating? Currently I am to be around 600-800. Everybody loses weight at different rates. And if you are working out muscles weigh more. Have you checked your measurements. One week I hardly lost anything but when I did my measurements I had lost over total 21 inches. It took my 20 years to be at the weight I am so I know it will not come off quickly but any pound lost is one that is never coming back!

My surgery was at the end of August, and I just hit the 30# loss! Finally! Slow, yes, but permanent.

When I get down about how slow I'm losing, I just think back to losing weight prior to VSG and it would take me almost a year to lose 30#. So I know I'm definitely ahead of the game at this point.

Just focus on yourself and your journey and all will be well.

I agree that the surgeon's guidelines, etc. are just that. You will eventually get to under 200, on your timetable (and you are close!) I think your weight loss is terrific and as everyone else said, people lose at different rates. My surgeon tells me (I'm sure he says it to all his patients) I expect great things from you. lol. So I like that rather than the approach that you need to be xxx wieght by xxx date. Personally I would like to lose as much as possible during my first year as I keep hearing that is the time to strike when the Iron is hot (so to speak).

I can eat more than 2oz per meal as well, and I'm only 2+ months out. I think if it is dense Protein, then the 2oz applies to me easily. Soft foods like yogurt, I can eat 4-5oz at one time. I keep track of my daily intake and I space my meals/liquids out nicely.

It would be so interesting to know how the nutritionist recommendations would differ if they were actually someone who had been sleeved. I think they all have the best of intentions, but don't really have a clue how things are after the surgery. If everyone was identical and everyone's bodies recovered and acted the same way, then we could all have the same guidelines, but they don't. Listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs. It sounds like you are making intelligent choices about trying to get in your Protein and staying hydrated, I think you will do great!

My doctors says that everyone is different. Your doctor should not be putting a number and date goal for you. I am 3 weeks post op, and in the last 5 days I have not lost anything. I know it will come, but it;s very frustrating

Hi there ready,

Do NOT worry at all. You are doing just fine I believe with how things are going. Be proud of every single pound lost!! Which I see you do, and that is the important thing.

Just a bit of insight... This Holiday season I lost 13 lbs. Hey not bad for me, seeing as I normally GAIN 20!! The sleeve is a true miracle. Truly. In a normal setting I should've lost 20 or more. However, again - it's the Holidays and I enjoyed life - and I STILL LOST A GOOD AMOUNT!

As far as how much I can eat, it depends on consistency. If I'm doing something mushy like oatmeal, I can eat about half a cup to 3 quarters. If I'm eating dense meat Proteins, I can eat 3 oz tops, and a few bites of veggies. It takes me the full 30 minutes to finish too.

2 oz was me straight out of surgery and for the first month thereabouts. Now, I can eat probably twice that or more.

Congrats!!! You've lost 58 Lbs FOREVER!!!

I'm just gonna echo what everone else is saying here, you're doing great! I can eat quite a bit now I'm 5 months out, I don't know how much in ounces, but in the morning I can have a latte and 2 small poached eggs, usually keeps me full for a good 4 to 5 hours. For lunch I can have a small piece of chicken and a little salad in the afternoon another milky coffee and for dinner whatever I am making but a small serving, say a small dessert plate of food. I am a slow loser but I do treat myself with carby Snacks now again, so it is my fault. Good luck to you on the rest of your journey :D