Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and TICKED Off!!! - Question about Scales

GRrrrrrrr

Okay, here's the thing. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a brand spanking new digital scale (not cheap). There wasn't much wrong with my "manual" scale, I just figured if I had a digital one it would be easier to read instead of having my husband kneel down to read the "old" one.

Well, I'm FED up with the inconsistency of this digital scale. Yes, I know to expect some inaccuracy and even some inconsistency but not THIS. For example, I got on it this morning and weighed in (being Fri and all...my weigh day). About 3 mins later I weighed myself again to "check" it and I weighed 2 lbs more. Okay, I KNOW I gain weight fast but obviously I didn't gain 2 lbs in THREE minutes!!!! (I had eaten nothing and drank nothing in those 3 mins). So, of course being curious now, I waited a minute and stepped on again and I weighed one pound more than the first time; one pound less than the second time. So I tried a few more times (to check consistency) and all readings varied...up to 2 lbs. WTF?????!!!!

Now, I work DAMN hard for every pound I lose, so to have a scale that is mocking me like this and willy nilly giving readings that vary by as much as 2 lbs each time is hard to take. I can't handle that type of inaccuracy and inconsistency. It won't be a fair measure and will de-motivate me. I'm thinking of returning it.

So, my question is....does anyone know if this is a normal occurrence for digital scales? Do I just have to get used to this? Or is this a "one-off" kind of thing and should I get a new/different digital scale or just avoid them altogether?

Has this happened to anyone?

My husband doesn't quite understand what the big deal is...but it is a big deal to me when, like I say, even a 1 lb loss is critical to me...emotionally and phsychologically speaking.

Comments greatly appreciated! Tks.

You don't have it set up on carpet do you? If so move it to hard flooring and try again. If it's still inconsistant TAKE IT BACK!

You DH doesn't need to understand, just support. :)

My digital scale doen't vary like that.

Digital scales IMO are more consistent and reliable than analog scales, but do have some variance. It will also depend on the quality of the scale (remember price doesn't equal quality). The digital scale I have is guaranteed to be accurate up to 350 lbs by a variance of 0.2. When I confirm this with set weights, it is right. When I get on it, I fluctuate some, but can usually go with a "2 out of 3" approach and get a dominant number.

Part of it is the nature of scales - to get the exact same weight you'd have to stand in exactly the same position, with your weight distributed exactly the same way, keeping completely still... even the classic medical "slide" scales can vary by 3 - 4 pounds based on where on the base you stand, and whether or not you shift your weight to the front or back.

Yup, the scale is always placed in the exact same place on the bathroom floor (tile)...not carpet.

Also, I do try and stand in the same spot and be still.

Wheetsin: my scale is a WW scale and it says the same thing...up to 350 lbs with .2 % accuracy.

Hence my frustration!!!!

For the record, my hubby is very supportive!

Take it back. I don't know what you paid, or if you even have the store there, but mine is "Taylor" brand and I got it at Sam's club for $30 or $40 US.

Yoda, your scale shouldn't be doing that. It's a lemon take it back. My digital scale is very consistent. I stand on it exactly the same way every day and never have variance issues. I can get on it three times and get the same read every time.

I say take it back also. My digital doesn't vary over .5 lbs. I can weigh 3 times and get 186.5, 187, and 187. (or 187,187,187) Pretty darn accurate, but mine only has half lb increments.

My digital scale will vary quite a bit too. What I do is weigh myself 5 times and take the avg of those as my real weight. Oftentimes it will show something that I know is too low so I will weigh myself a couple more times and I will start to get the same reading then. My digital scale seems to weight about 4 lbs less than the medical one at the Y so of course I love mine!! :)

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

241/198/150

5'7''

I had one of those digital scales too, same problem, you could get on them 3 different times and get 3 different readings. I now have a doctors scale and love it, accurate as you can get to the exact ounce. Good luck!!!

You said you weigh on a tile bathroom floor. Does the scale cover more than one tile? If so, that would explain the inconsistencies. Move the scale to a wood floor or a solid surface with no grout lines. Mine varies very little but I do an average of 3 weights.

scales are evil...I never weigh...it leads to feeling just like you are having now. I wait until I go to the DR and thats it. I let me body tell me how Im doing...

I have a WW scale as well and it has varied but for the most part it is pretty consistant. I checked it yesterday, lol.

We have new digital scales also and have been frustrated with the variance. We've decided two things (which have already been mentioned but just wanted to give our experience):

1) you have to wait a few minutes between each use (same with our electronic blood pressure cuff and electronic glucometer)

2) the grout in the tile can make it uneven.

3) they like to torment you!!

Ahh, the joys of technology!!

I had one of those (digital that I had to weigh 3-4 times to get an average) and I finally got another one that isn't digital and it has LARGE numbers so I can see without bending. I love it and it is always accurate.

I say, take it back. You are not silly. If you use the scale to see your progress, you want it to be accurate.

Also, there are some people that don't use scales. And it works for them. And there are others that use it to mark progress. I am one of those people that need to weigh everyday to keep me on track, otherwise I am in denial about any gains. Kind of my accountability to myself. I do know that I can gain a pound or so even when I am doing great on my diet, but I also know that it will come off soon enough if I just stick to my plan. It works for me.