Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deciding whether to schedule a date or not

I'm relatively new to this board. I've been reading the posts for a few weeks now and have found it to be very comforting.

After researching the various options I've decided that Dr. Aceves is the best choice for me. I have a relatively low BMI and am not eligible for surgery in Canada. At first I was completely freaked out by the idea of traveling to Mexico for surgery. I feel very comfortable with that decision now.

I haven't shared this with any of my family or friends. I'm afraid that they won't understand. I know they'll tell me that I'm beautiful the way I am and try to talk me out of putting myself in danger via surgery.

I think that's why I'm chickening out calling Nina this afternoon to schedule an appointment for March 2011. I'm afraid that after I make my appointment I'll have to tell my family.

How long did it take others on this board to be comfortable with their decision and book their appointment? I'm finding it's a process for me.

As soon as I knew this was the surgery for me and what I needed to "beat" my obesity, I could not wait to schedule my appointment - the sooner the better.

Have you thought about talking to your family & getting their reaction instead of just guessing?

I've completely thought of telling my family, while they're supportive of things that are "good for me" I fear that it will take them a while to see this surgery as something that's good for me.

My biggest fear is that they talk me out of pursuing it, which is why I was hoping to schedule it first then share the news.

But since I'm stuck I think you're right. :)

Take a little time to make a list of your points. Longevity, quality of life, avoidance of future health problems,excellent outcomes of the Dr you are using, etc.When you talk to them you can use it in case you are tongue tied...

I made my decision to get the sleeve pretty quickly. I didn't even know the gastric sleeve existed 2 months ago - lol. I was originally planning on getting the lap band but I'm REALLY glad I found out about the sleeve when I did!

I also got mine done in Mexico. For me, the idea of getting it done in Mexico was the scariest part. I spent countless hours reading about it and was still nervous going down there. Post-op I feel pretty silly for doubting it so much (I feel like I got amazing care).

This most definitely is a process. There are lots of friends and family who do not know that I've been sleeved. I will tell them when I am ready. As for my support group every single person that I have shared with has been super wonderful and supportive!

Good luck, it is not easy stuff.

I'm also from Canada, with a relatively low starting BMI, and also ended up going to Dr. Aceves. I had briefly considered the lap band before, but never really had the money. This time I happened to have access to a large line of credit and my worries about repayment are minimal, so having WLS actually became a realistic possibility. The things that really triggered my decision to go ahead were:

1) having lost 50 lbs with tremendous effort for like the 5th time in a row and then regaining like 5 lbs every time I'd have one candy bar - I just couldn't fight that battle anymore, I felt that my whole life revolved around food - whether consuming it or restraining myself from consuming it

2) learning more about obesity in medical school and realizing it's MUCH more complex than plain willpower (which I often suspected - how come I had the willpower to hold down 2 jobs and go to school part-time but not to resist a candybar?) and that there's a huge physiological aspect to it

Thankfully, I somehow stumbled upon this forum and noticed Dr. Aceves had sleeved many people on here, and then someone (I believe, OregonDaisy) recommended that I contact him directly. I spoke to one of his coordinators and she strongly suggested the sleeve. I dwelled on it for about 2 weeks, doing lots of research about the side effects of the band, the benefits of the sleeve, and reading the experiences of other Dr. Aceves patients. Altogether, it took me maybe 2 weeks of good hard thinking to decide that I wanted WLS and another 2 weeks to realize I wanted the sleeve. Once I made up my mind, I was dying to have the surgery ASAP! Unfortunately, due to my own schedule I had to book 1.5 months ahead. I definitely had lots of time to rethink things during those 6 weeks, having never had surgery before and being worried about travelling to Mexico, but in the end it always came down to the fact that I KNEW I would never get my weight under control on my own - and I'd only get fatter and more miserable if I waited any longer. I didn't want to have to worry about getting tummy tucks, arm lifts, and what not, so I wanted to have the surgery before I got to 300 lbs and grew like 50 lbs of extra skin everywhere. I'm definitely very happy that I had the surgery when I did, even though I didn't have any disposable income at the time, so I do have to repay the debt eventually when I start working.

Hi,

I waited exactly 1 month to make sure that I was making the right decision. It made it easier to tell my family once they knew I did not jump into this life changing decision. I made my appointment in October with Nina and I am having my surgery one week from today. I am very nervous but know this is what I need to do.

having lost 50 lbs with tremendous effort for like the 5th time in a row and then regaining like 5 lbs every time I'd have one candy bar - I just couldn't fight that battle anymore, I felt that my whole life revolved around food - whether consuming it or restraining myself from consuming it

This ---^

After 25 years on the fat roller coaster, I decided I needed to take more drastic measures and get the sleeve done. So far I'm extremely happy I did it - what a life changer (so far).

I have always said that the decision is yours not matter if you are 5 pounds overweight or 200 pounds overweight. In the grand scheme of things yourself has to be at piece with the decision to have this surgery. If you tell your family you might be really surprised who supports you . Taking the first step is always the hardest one to take..No matter what happens we will always be here to support you..

Hi blossom, welcome to the forum - and most of all, welcome to the rest of your life!

You know, it actually took me over a year to finally come to the realization that my band failed me miserably and I needed something more permanent and not so friendly.

I knew about the surgery for years now, but not before being banded. Oh how I wish I had!! Oh well it was not in the cards.

Well, finally I made that decision all the while gaining all my weight back and watching so many being successful with the sleeve.

Dr. Aceves did my revision, and you will absolutely LOVE HIM and HIS STAFF!!! Only call if you are 110% sure though, and only then. It's no walk in the park, but worth every scrape you get from it. NIna, who is such a blessing, will help you every step of the way. She's totally great!

Hugs to you!!!

Thanks so much for all your support! It's EXTREMELY helpful to reach out to understanding people who've been in my position.

I did decide to schedule VSG with Dr. Aceves for early March 2011. This is going to be an exiting few months for me. I'm traveling to India for a vacation and then will be starting on this journey as soon as I return from my Indian adventure.

@BlackBerryJuice - this sentence really rang true for me...."but in the end it always came down to the fact that I KNEW I would never get my weight under control on my own - and I'd only get fatter and more miserable if I waited any longer."

Thanks so much for all your support! It's EXTREMELY helpful to reach out to understanding people who've been in my position.

I did decide to schedule VSG with Dr. Aceves for early March 2011. This is going to be an exiting few months for me. I'm traveling to India for a vacation and then will be starting on this journey as soon as I return from my Indian adventure.

@BlackBerryJuice - this sentence really rang true for me...."but in the end it always came down to the fact that I KNEW I would never get my weight under control on my own - and I'd only get fatter and more miserable if I waited any longer."

I did the same thing. Went with a friend to a different doc in Mexico. We started with a similar "low" BMI and have struggled together with weight loss and gain for years. Watched her shrink and saw how it's working for her. Found Dr. Aceves through folks on the board. Have been talking with Nina via e-mail for a few months now. Just set my date for Valentine's Day. My gift to myself. Not telling a soul except my husband and my friend who had the sleeve. No one would understand. They all think it's about willpower and diet and exercise. Best of luck to you. Enjoy your travels and then best of luck for an easy surgery and speedy recovery.

I am still trying to decide which surgery I want, band or sleeve, and if my current insurance does not cover either (which is starting to look more and more likely) I will be heading down to see Dr. Aceves, also in March. Although I am planning on turning my spring break into my weight break...or something like that. I'll figure out some witty phrase to describe it. I know I will more than likely be the only college student down there NOT getting drunk!

I am nervous too, especially now that I have been researching how the procedure is conducted and all. That and the whole idea of surgery is scary to begin with right? But, we'll get over it...all I have to do is look at those sexy a** pants I've been drooling over for years.