Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op diet killing me!!

I'm 5 days post op and this liquid diet is killing me. I'm so sick of broth that I could puke when I smell it. Everything allowed is so sweet. Sweet Crystal light, sweet Jello, & sweet popcikles. Ugh!! I want something different. I even made a small amount of whey Protein Powder, but that's sweet too. I'm not supposed to have Protein shakes until day 7. It still hurts to swallow. It's better than 2 days ago, but still sore. Plus, I had a hernia removed during surgery. So I am not sure how much pain is coming from that. Didn't even know they would just "repair" that. I didn't even know that I had one. I feel like I am healing slower that others on here. Plus, I am hungry! Need support.

The first couple of weeks are the most difficult, but so worth it. Your body is healing, your stomach is swollen, been bruised and battered, let it heal. I would recommend getting some Decaf herbal teas. They have plenty of flavors that are not sweet. I prefer the chai tea because they have spice. Peppermint tea is my ultimate fave but it might be too sweet for you right now.

I know it's tough, but it's giving your stomach time to heal, and your body recover. Keep getting fluids, and try to find something to occupy your mind. The hernia can cause extra discomfort, but you're only 5 days out, and I don't think you are recovering any slower than "most". Plus, everyone has a different pain tolerance so please hang in there, and don't compare your recovery to everyone else on here.

Hi, there! Sorry to hear about your frustration. I am 10 days post-op and (like you) had a hernia repair. I was only on Clear Liquids for 3 days. Unfortunately, the choices at that stage are pretty limited. It will soon be behind you, though, and you'll be in the liquid stage and have alot more choices. It might help you to try some different types of unsweetened kool-aid and add as little or as much sweetener as you like. I know it is hard right now, but it will get better!

I am 6 days post-op...and I FEEL YOUR PAIN...I don't want this food anymore...I want something salty and I want something crunchy. It got so bad last night I finally got up and took a sip of pickle juice. (I love pickles---so this might not work for you) I couldn't see that it would hurt...I am on a THIN liquid diet...and that's thin...but more importantly it helped!!! It took the salty craving away and I could go on. I hope you find something to work for you...cause I know you are miserable!!!

GOOD LUCK

Yep, the first couple of weeks are a pain in the ass.... but it is worth it!! I took nanna naps a lot; firstly cos I was knackered ... and secondly to keep me off the wanting of food. Do you like marmite or oxo? Perhaps you could make a drink out of those... worked for me. Got an oxo cube and just added hot water! Also the herbal tea idea is a good one!

Good luck and chin up... it does get better! =]

Hi MistyB,

I am 9 days post-op, and boy do I feel ya!

Did you try differnet companies for their Protein drinks? Some are just enough different that at least you can feel like you had a different flavor. I had a couple of friends who did this before me in different programs, so they shared some of their Protein Drinks, and I found one that actually tasted good.

I don't use clear chicken stock - I use Lipton chicken Soup mix and just have the broth - but when this is over, if I never have it again, I would be o.k. with it!

You will see on these boards a wide variety of post-op plans - I have veen surprised by the variations in the liquid post-op stage - some say consume only liquids for two days, some for the first two weeks. It is interesting how diverse they are. If you are really that unhappy with the menu chocies, you probably aren't getting enough calories in - maybe you need to "self-medicate" in that you choose one soft food, measure out a small amount, and add that to your diet already. If you are used toa wide variety - choose something kinda "out there" that you wouldn't always have.

I was so craving Pasta, and yeah it should not be on the diet, but I had a couple of noodles and I very carefully chewed and chewed - and you know what? I satisfied my craving, won't have any more for a while, and had no problems.

I am 11 days out. I have been having cravings too. i am used to much more flavor in foods living in the southwest. I made the top ramen noodles (actually just the packet that comes with them and saved the noodles for another time). It has a lot more flavor that the regular broth. i have also started on Tomato basil Soup and broccoli cheddar soup that I got from our deli section at Safeway Grocery store. Those were great for adding flavor. My little "sneak" was sticking my finger in the Peanut Butter jar and licking a little pb. That really helped. hange in there. we can do it.

I am in the mushies/ soft food stage now. I want ranch dressing on everything now. I was so flipping tired of all the liquid stuff by day 5. I promise you that it does get better. Just do the best you can to get the Protein in and clear liquids. Also try wylers pink lemonade. I can only find it at walgreens. It is kind of tart and a change from the sweet.

I couldn't agree with you more! I am 13 days post-op and I am SO sick and tired of liquids!!! I was on liquids a week before surgery and I am still on liquids. I go see the doctor tomorrow and I hope he tells me I can have something that I can chew. It is so frustrating having to cook for a husband and 4 kids and I cannot have anything I cooked. Guess all we can do is hang in there and wait it out, we've come this far.

Like everyone else, I am so with you. The clear liquids are fine for a couple of days when you are more busy trying to heal but as you get better - your food doesn't!!!

I had a Tomato broth and a beef broth that was bearable but after 10 days I was ready to jump out the window.

How long are you on clear liquids? I was on it for 2 weeks and the day when you eat a spoon full of mashed potatoes or grits, it's all forgotten...but then starts up again toward the end of that phase. Now I am six weeks out and am finally allowed soft and moist foods which is HEAVEN.

You'll make it. If you are on a plan that is slower than others, it'll have a reason. It drove me nuts to read people talking about tuna salad within the first 3 weeks when I knew it would take me another 3 weeks to get there, but every doc is different!

Good luck and stay strong!!!

I am 12 days post op and so SICK of the liquid diet. I had some miso Soup yesterday and it was THE BEST tasting thing ever. My taste buds are being starved! haha.

If I never see another Tomato, cream of chicken, clam chowder, chicken broth can again, it will be too soon. I used to LOVE Soups, now it might take me over a year to eat another one again. bleh!

Good luck to you and keep up the good work. Each day that passes is another one closer to real food AND goal! :)

May I recommend Tazzo herbal tea. Sweet Orange is heavenly! Not real sweet, just enough so and it is kinda like warm cider minus the calories!

I am 6 days post-op...and I FEEL YOUR PAIN...I don't want this food anymore...I want something salty and I want something crunchy. It got so bad last night I finally got up and took a sip of pickle juice. (I love pickles---so this might not work for you) I couldn't see that it would hurt...I am on a THIN liquid diet...and that's thin...but more importantly it helped!!! It took the salty craving away and I could go on. I hope you find something to work for you...cause I know you are miserable!!!

GOOD LUCK

I am on pre op diet and I have done this too, it really helped! I also put a slice of pickle in my mouth and sucked on it because I was craving the salt. I am so tired of chocolate, I hate the taste of vanilla and strawberry lol so the the salty taste was amazing!

Thanks everyone.....gosh yall are so supportive :)

I am on Clear liquids for 1 week. Then, week 2 is Protein shakes. Week 3 is creamed Soups.

I have tried different Protein Shakes. The stores have either samples or packets to try before buying the whole container. Also, my Vitamin store said he holds Protein parties monthly. You can taste shakes, bars, & drinks for free. How cool is that? Ask your local nutritional stores if they do that.

Yall are so funny. We are like crack heads.....but addicted to food tastes. Licking fingers in Peanut Butter jars, drinking pickle juice. Hey, do what gets you throught this and so will I. We all will do great with this surgery.

Thanks everyone.....gosh yall are so supportive :)

I am on Clear Liquids for 1 week. Then, week 2 is Protein shakes. Week 3 is creamed Soups.

I have tried different Protein Shakes. The stores have either samples or packets to try before buying the whole container. Also, my Vitamin store said he holds Protein parties monthly. You can taste shakes, bars, & drinks for free. How cool is that? Ask your local nutritional stores if they do that.

Yall are so funny. We are like crack heads.....but addicted to food tastes. Licking fingers in Peanut Butter jars, drinking pickle juice. Hey, do what gets you throught this and so will I. We all will do great with this surgery.

That's such a great idea for your local store to do tasting parties. I just ordered a Protein Drink sampler for $13 free S&H from Syntrax nectar. I read good recommendations from them here and on Obesity Help. I was on a protein/liquid diet for 2 weeks PRIOR to surgery so post-op I was so ready to be done with the liquid stage. I can't even stand the taste of chocolate right now since most of the things I was able to eat during that phase where chocolate-flavored. My recommendation is to modify foods that you liked prior to surgery. I love Chinese food so during the liquid phase I'd have won ton Soup minus the won ton....best tasting thing I ate that whole week. And the great thing is that a pint lasted for 3-4 meals. Now, I'll have two dumplings but only eat the meat and a tiny bit of the noodle part. I'm a pasta/carbaholic so I need just a taste to get me through.

Good luck with your journey! :P