Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The good thing about being a slow loser

Callling all slow losers...

OK, so normally I am bleating on about how crap it is to be a slow loser, or that I am in another stall... so, as I am trying to regain my positive attitude, glass being half full again and all that... I thought I would start a thread that lists all the good things about being a slow loser.

Any comments, ideas or just a good thing...

Good things about being a slow loser

* gives skin a chance !!

* easier to keep the sleeve a secret if you haven't told anyone

* the weight will stay off (?)

OK... anyone got any more???

Well as you already said, giving time for skin to adjust, I'm not exercising that much but my bingo wings aren't as bad as I first thought they would be, and my face is still OK, I don't look like someone who lost loads of weight drastically (everbody compliments me on my face, those who know as well as those who don't) So as far as I'm concerned, it's all good (Like you coops,trying to see the glass half full rather than half empty:D )

I agree ladies, Chilo, I get compliments on my face too...lol... weird but who cares, a compliment is a compliment as far as I am concerned these days!!!

It gives your head body image a chance to keep up.

Awesome post...I agree to all :)

I don't know about you, but one of the reasons why I went for surgery was because I was a slow loser.

My Mom has put me on diets starting in my mid teens, and I did a few rapid "if I just don't eat anything, I'll lose weight" diets - all of which did a real number on my metabolism.

I am not claiming I didn't eat much but for the times I did diet properly and exercised a lot, it was always so sad to see that my husband - who is less overweight - managed to pretty much lose double the amount I did.

So, what I am trying to say is that being a slow loser is unfortunately part of who you are and while it rocks to shed pounds like crazy, there is not much you can do. Is your doctor happy with your results? I am only 6 weeks out but my doc said I am doing great - even though I have lost less than a lot of people in here have. To me, it looks like you are doing great and you look great and you are young (and married) so there really isn't a major rush to speed up the weight loss, is there?

Keep it up, and don't lose your spirit!

Hiya Susanne,

thanks for your comments... yea, I have always been a slow loser... but to be completely honest, before, when I followed a diet or eating plan (however you want to phrase it) I could only lose between 5-7lb... that would take me between 6-8 weeks and then I would stall for a month or so and basically give up!!!! That has been the case for most of my adult life and then I woke up weight 238lb and wondering what the hell was happening...

I guess you are right!! I always have and always be a slow loser... but at least this time I am losing,

The slower I lose, the more I appreciate each and every pound that I can get rid of.... amazing really and I am loving my sleeve xx

another good thing about being a slow loser... I appreciate every ounce and I am grateful for each one off too... oh and this way I don't get complacent in the losing phase!!!

YEY!!

another good thing about being a slow loser... I appreciate every ounce and I am grateful for each one off too... oh and this way I don't get complacent in the losing phase!!!

YEY!!

ITA!!!! I guess when compared to others sleevers, I'm considered a slow loser. Do I care? Well, not really all that much. I really do appreciate every single pounds - seriously. When I get on the scale and it's down one pound, I get really excited and happy. When it doesn't move, I just get off and say - well next time. :P

I am a streaky loser though too. I'll go a week here and there with nothing, or one pound - but there'll be a week to sneak in with 6-7 lbs.. and those are the times where my eyes bug out :omg_smile: and I'm all aflutter... heee!!! Then I see posts where folks are depressed about having 20+ Lbs lost in one week, and they don't lose the next week and are feeling apathetic. I just don't get it!!! I would be riding high on that big loss for a month minimum!!!

LOL... oh well.

It just comes down to the chips (no pun intended) falling where they may. I'm going to take the YELLOW brick road. Which road will YOU take? I know my road will get me to Oz - however long it takes. :)

I am a streaky loser though too. I'll go a week here and there with nothing, or one pound - but there'll be a week to sneak in with 6-7 lbs.. and those are the times where my eyes bug out :omg_smile: and I'm all aflutter... heee!!! Then I see posts where folks are depressed about having 20+ Lbs lost in one week, and they don't lose the next week and are feeling apathetic. I just don't get it!!! I would be riding high on that big loss for a month minimum!!!

LOL... oh well.

Hey Diva... you talk so much sense aye!!!

I am a streaky loser too... but recently it has been a pound here and there... literally a pound.. and it is frustrating but I have to get on with it, which is what I am doing!

Yep I agree with you... there are some posts that I feel like that too... I don't and won't ever put a negative comment on as everything is in perspective but I really would love to have a nice steady and consisitent weight loss of 2-3 lb a week. That would seriously change my out look...lol!

Yep, we are what we are... and as long as it keeps coming off... I can't really complain,,, well!!!

x

I was a slow loser and I called it a chunk loser. I didn't lose for awhile, then I would drop a big chunk like 5 lbs. When that happened, I was guaranteed not to lose again for another month and if I did, I was really surprised.

One good thing about being a slow loser is that you don't buy something and only get to wear it once because the next time you try to wear it, it's too big. We have to buy a lot of clothes from surgery date until goal, so it's nice when you find something that you like, to be able to wear it awhile!

I was a slow loser and I called it a chunk loser. I didn't lose for awhile, then I would drop a big chunk like 5 lbs. When that happened, I was guaranteed not to lose again for another month and if I did, I was really surprised.

One good thing about being a slow loser is that you don't buy something and only get to wear it once because the next time you try to wear it, it's too big. We have to buy a lot of clothes from surgery date until goal, so it's nice when you find something that you like, to be able to wear it awhile!

Sounds like you and I lose the same way! :)

I totally agree with the clothes thing. I only saved pants and not so many shirts, so as I go down in sizes I have to buy new tops that go along with the seasons. I had NO sweaters to wear or long sleeves (only a few left over from when I was banded). I'm glad that I can at least get my sizes to last the season. My XL's are too big now... but my large's are still working. They should be fine throughout Winter.

I do have some Mediums in my closet for spring time waiting and I am very close to fitting them nicely now. Yay!!

Blessed be the slow losers!!

I just want to add one thing. I guess I'm especially happy to just be losing since I battled my weight so much with the band for years. I suppose that may have a lot to do with my patience and simply just being glad to be losing weight at all. :D

Yes, I think focussing on losing at all is the way to go. I just thought of it yesterday, that for the last 20 years I made a New Years resolution to lose weight...and this will be the first year that I am confident in my ability to actually make it.

I think I will be a really slow loser now. Since I gained weight since my birthday on 10-25 halloween, thanksgiiving, then christmas holidays, I had a really hard time losing it after my birthday and then people started offering me goodies with all the other holidays and I just kept gaining .

I am going to try not to focus on the scale and just eat right and hopefully it will come off again. Since I am now almost 2 years post op, the weight does not just fall off like it did in the beginning. I have to not let that bother me and just eat right and hope for the best. I can't get discouraged because then I will just want to eat more.