Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everybody,

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 15th. I was so excited when my insurance approved the VSG surgery but am now thinking of backing out. I'm scared of going under. What if I have some un-diagnosed heart problem? Why would I be so selfish to take this risk with a toddler at home? I am also scared of recovery. My husband will only have the day of my surgery and the next off from work. After that, it is all me. I have to take care of the house and kids and recover in a week to get back to my own job. Can I do this? Should I do this? I'm taking a deep breath. . .

DO IT.... DO IT... DO IT... I had my surgery Nov 22nd so that was just almost 2 weeks ago and I feel GREAT. I went back to work this last monday I was a little tired but nothing I havent done before ( gone to work tired). I started out at 210 lbs and now weigh 194. I can already tell the weight loss in my face . My recovery went pretty well I flew to Tijuana and had surgery at OCC with Dr. Ortiz( who by the wasy was great as was the facility and staff would highly recommend them) I honestly havent been hungry my tummy will rumble then i go drink Protein Drink or Water and it goes away. I will say I am ready to eat some food but have to wait until Dec 13 for mushies, I am sure those mashed potatoes will never taste soo good. I had my 14 year old daugter for support but honestly my recovery was very easy , never had nausua , YOu will get through it great just do what they say Drink and walk alot.. dont chicken out you will regret it if you do. Good luck. Stay positive..

I FELT THE SAME EXACT WAY!!! I WAS SO SCARED THAT I HAVE CANCELLED SURGERY 3 TIMES FOR THE SAME REASONS..BUT, I HAD TO REALLY TAKE TIME TO MEDITATE, PRAY AND HEAR FROM MY GOD WHO CONFIRMED THAT ALL IS WELL AND I WILL BE VICTORIOUS IN THIS SURGERY AND RECOVERY...I WOULD SUGGEST THAT WHATEVER YOUR FAITH IS, THAT YOU PRAY AND MEDITATE AND YOU WILL SURELY GET CONFIRMATION...GOOD LUCK!

You should do this surgery at the right time for you. I think you need more support to help w kids. This is major surgery and everyone has a different experience. You need to consider doing this as a step towards caring for yourself. Meaning pamper yourself. Can you invite someone like a relative or friend to help? I went back part time second week and I have a toddler but his nanny was making me Soup and supporting me. She was OUR nanny that week. Can you afford to pay a helper to entertain the kids?

Women, we got to ask for help when we need it. You could injure yourself. Love yourself enough to get some assistance. You will need a lot of rest and sleep. I swear we make it too easy for everyone except ourselves. Would you ask your husband to care for kids 2days after getting a major organ zipped out? Nope!!!

And you can't drive for a few days either...

Maybe be selfish and ask for love and help. You are soooooo worth it.

Hi Everybody,

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 15th. I was so excited when my insurance approved the VSG surgery but am now thinking of backing out. I'm scared of going under. What if I have some un-diagnosed heart problem? Why would I be so selfish to take this risk with a toddler at home? I am also scared of recovery. My husband will only have the day of my surgery and the next off from work. After that, it is all me. I have to take care of the house and kids and recover in a week to get back to my own job. Can I do this? Should I do this? I'm taking a deep breath. . .

Please don't chicken out. I had my surgery yesterday. They did find a hernia which was repaired and did a liver biopsy but I knew that I had fatty liver disease. I am already off my diabetic medication. I was release from the hospital today. My husband also only had yesterday and today off from work. I have to go back to work on next wednesday but I work from home answering phone calls. I was surprised at how well I was already feeling last night. I walked the hallways every hour and I have not experience any of the severe gas pains. I have not had any nausea and I only had the iv pain meds and never asked for any addiitonal which was available. Now I don't have a toddler and that may be your only issue but I do not regret my decision at all.

You can do it! I had lapband surgery three and a half years ago. Although they are not exactly the same, they are similair. I was fine within three days. There is only a small time for recovery and then you have the rest of your life to get well and finally be happy. I am having a revision surgery and I have three kids. I know it will be hard, especially with Christmas five days after my surgery, but I know this is the right decision for myself and my health. Just think of what got you here before you back out. Good luck with your decision! Hugs!

Thank you all for your comments. The only person that I have told about my surgery is my husband and he does not understand what I am going through.

Hi Mama!! The days right before surgery can be VERY nerve wrecking! You are just feeling apprehensive which is completely normal.

I do urge anyone though to make absolutely sure this is something you want to do. There's no turning back once you do it.

However, that said - here I am THANKING MYSELF for not NOT doing it. I'm down over 40 pounds since my pre-op diet and also down 3 sizes!!! I'm very happy I did this!! My decision continuously proves that I did the right thing.

Hugs to you!!

Wow we have a lot in common!!! I too am scheduled for surgery on Dec 15, and I too am getting really scared, and I too have a toddler at home! 2 to be exact.

But everyone I talk to who has had it says that in the end it is ALL worth it. Prior to having a surgery date I was hoping and praying so badly that it would happen. Now that it is I am filled with anxiety about it. But, when I see the future, I am SO excited!

Stay positive, and yay! We are surgery bday buddies : )

OMG this is just how I feelI am scared as well and I have 5 kids the youngest was just 6 mo on the 1st. I also think if I dont have it have it what kind of mother can I really be at this current weight. No one can choose for you but please look at the big picture and the long run effectsof the surgery and staying over weight.I wish you the best I know this is a huge life changing choice

I just had mine 10 days ago and I had some of the very same concerns. I even had an abnormal EKG, that latter turned out was fine. They do a ton of tests to rule out complications.

I think if you were to compare the risks of surgery vs staying overweight you find the latter to be higher risk to yourself. If you stay heavy you take time off your live, time of the quality of life with your child, not to mention it is better to raise your child with a positive role model at a good weight in addition to showing healthy eating.

In the end after you pray and truly weigh your personal circumstances can you come up with the right move for YOU. I do not suggest giving in to fear however, logical thinking with brutel honesty with yourself is the only way to come up with your HONEST answer for you.

Mama: I had my surgery two days ago, and everything went like clockwork. I was scared too. To avoid a heart attack, you make sure the doctor does a Cardiac Stress Test first. That simulates the strain that surgery will put on your heart.

Of course, anything can happen, but look at all the survivors in here!

I feel the same way! We should see if we can organize groups by city so we could check in on one another and help out :)

Jen