Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cross addiction post op?

Hi all,

Im about a month pre op and am working on curbing my bad eating habits, etc. I got to thinking about something I was told in my Options class about people developing cross addictions after surgery. I was wondering what I would have to do to get the same feeling of comfort and security that I now get from food. I am also in the habit of rewarding myself with food, so I know that might be a problem, even though I know thats really common. I honestly couldnt think of an answer besides shopping or...shopping. I keep reading posts from people who have had VSG that they just dont crave food anymore, but that is kind of hard for me to wrap my brain around. So if you don't really want to eat, what do you do? Right now, if Im bored or have free time, my husband and I go out to eat. Then maybe we'll see a movie or walk somewhere. So my questions are: has anyone suffered from cross addiction to an unhealthy degree? Also, if that desire to eat is still there what do you do to curb it? I can see myself becoming manic trying to fill every second of my day so I don't have to think about food food food! Cause thats the way I feel now :P

I'm into my 4th month post-op and haven't really had any issues so far. I'm seeing a counsellor once every 3 weeks or so, and I've mentioned this fear to him, as well, but so far there hasn't been anything to discuss on that subject. I was also worried about shopping, but it hasn't been a concern.

I curb the oral fixation by drinking flavored teas and when I'm bored, I browse these forums or play a computer game.

Mind games. When you used to say to yourself "I am hungry", now you say "I am going for a walk." Hard rule for me now since I still open refrigerator because I am bored, tired, lonely, or upset I take a quick walk. I keep a pair of slip on shoes right by the door for a quick stroll, sometimes out for only 5 minutes. If weather does not allow, I have searched youtubed for a couple of home excercises to tone my arms and legs, etc. I do at least two clips.

Amazing how i am retraining myself. Yes we battle old patterns, but ask yourself what can you replace food with that is positive either mentally or physically? Recognition is good - now take action to change.

ocgal

I have an addictive personality, and knew that I could have a case of transfer addiction. I prepared for it, and my transfer addiction is definitely shopping. I set myself a budget, I only shop clearance, and use the hell out of coupons. That way, I don't put my family in the poor house, but I can still shop. I admit my shopping got a little out of hand a few months back once I started maintaining, and I could buy all clothes in the same size, and not worry about giving them away because I couldn't wear them anymore. BUT, I got it under control pretty quickly. I never really ate out of emotion, but when I had nothing else to do, I shopped.

The one thing that has helped tremendously is that I threw myself into a social life frenzy. I volunteer on base and with my husband's squadron. I signed up for several special activities through our spouse's club, and I started getting out there and truly living life. I also started working part time again as an independent jewelry advisor with lia sophia and it's been the best damn thing I did on this journey. I earn free jewelry, and a paycheck. SO, I get to shop for jewelry, and my clothing and shoe budget increased LOL ! ! !

Just to let you know, I still have cravings. I don't get hungry, but I still have an appetite for food. I still love food, but my relationship with food has definitely changed. I'm able to satisfy that craving with a small amount of food, and go about my day without beating myself up over gorging myself on 3-4 servings. The sleeve didn't fix my mental cravings, but it makes the decision-making process a lot easier when it comes to what I put in my mouth when those cravings hit. The best example I can give you is: Mexican and Thai food are my biggest cravings. I can eat eat a lot of chips and salsa, but I choose to eat 3-5 chips, then a bunch of meat from fajitas, half a tortilla, and some sauteed onions, and I'm done. With Thai food, I can eat a lot of spring rolls, but I choose to eat one after I peel off all the external wrapping, and then I order pepper steak with no rice. I eat the meat that will fit in my sleeve, and a few onions. I've satisfied my craving, and I've stayed with the "rules" of eating with the sleeve. Sometimes, the inner fat girl wins, and I'll eat an extra spring roll and skip some meat, or I'll roll up some beans/rice with cheese and meat in a half of a flour tortilla, and eat that instead of all meat with the fajitas, but pre-op, I'd eat 3-4 spring rolls, all the meat plus all the rice with Thai food, and 3-4 full tortilla filled with fajita meat, Beans, cheese, hoards of rice, guacamole and salsa for my Mexican food. So, what I'm saying is that with the sleeve, I can still eat what I want, just in smaller quantities, and I'm not left feeling deprived, or like I can't have what I mentally want.

I kept a journal, not online, a handwritten journal during my losing phase. I was able to write out my emotions, and how I was coping with all the changes. It gave me something to keep my mind occupied, and I kind of feel like it was an outlet for me. I played computer games (Thank you Facebook), and then I would plan my meals for the next couple of days. I'm a planner, and extremely organized, pretty Type A personality, and needed structure. That is the one thing I can honestly say that helped me the most. Being organized, and having a schedule. My husband was deployed for the first 4 months of my recovery, and I wrote to him even though our communication was pretty non-existent due to his location and mission.

I would recommend setting small goals for yourself to reward yourself. Find something else that you enjoy, and for 20lbs lost, reward yourself. If you love reading, buying that #1 best seller you've been eying when you hit your goal. If you like to shop, purchase something for yourself that you won't shrink out of, like jewelry(NO rings, your fingers are going to shrink), or get your hair done. You might find exercising super exciting (I never caught that bug, I just did because I knew I had to do it), but if you end up being a workout-aholic, buy new cute workout clothes, or a new pair of sneakers. Replacing old habits with new ones is the best advice I could possibly give. Be positive, and if you have food issues, I highly recommend you tackling them now instead of waiting until after surgery. I think the band pretty much forced me to deal with my food issues because my food choices were so limited with the band. You'll do great because you've already identified some of your food issues. The next step is to really examine how you will deal with it post-op when you can't use food as a coping mechanism. Have a plan, and know that there will be struggles, and little speedbumps in the road to success. But, I can tell you 100% that your victories will outweigh the struggles tenfold! ! !

Best wishes, and I apologize for the ramble! ! !

Thank you thank you for the wonderful insight!! This is exactly the advice that I was looking for, its nice to know that you are able to maintain so much control over your food/shopping addictions and turn all the energy you were putting into food into something as positive as volunteering. You truly are an inspiration :) Thank you I think Im going to print out your post and put it in the folder with my surgery notes :)

BTW I love lia sophia, used to sell it but didnt have the confidence to really get out there. Maybe Ill pick it up again post op :)

I have an addictive personality, and knew that I could have a case of transfer addiction. I prepared for it, and my transfer addiction is definitely shopping. I set myself a budget, I only shop clearance, and use the hell out of coupons. That way, I don't put my family in the poor house, but I can still shop. I admit my shopping got a little out of hand a few months back once I started maintaining, and I could buy all clothes in the same size, and not worry about giving them away because I couldn't wear them anymore. BUT, I got it under control pretty quickly. I never really ate out of emotion, but when I had nothing else to do, I shopped.

The one thing that has helped tremendously is that I threw myself into a social life frenzy. I volunteer on base and with my husband's squadron. I signed up for several special activities through our spouse's club, and I started getting out there and truly living life. I also started working part time again as an independent jewelry advisor with lia sophia and it's been the best damn thing I did on this journey. I earn free jewelry, and a paycheck. SO, I get to shop for jewelry, and my clothing and shoe budget increased LOL ! ! !

Just to let you know, I still have cravings. I don't get hungry, but I still have an appetite for food. I still love food, but my relationship with food has definitely changed. I'm able to satisfy that craving with a small amount of food, and go about my day without beating myself up over gorging myself on 3-4 servings. The sleeve didn't fix my mental cravings, but it makes the decision-making process a lot easier when it comes to what I put in my mouth when those cravings hit. The best example I can give you is: Mexican and Thai food are my biggest cravings. I can eat eat a lot of chips and salsa, but I choose to eat 3-5 chips, then a bunch of meat from fajitas, half a tortilla, and some sauteed onions, and I'm done. With Thai food, I can eat a lot of spring rolls, but I choose to eat one after I peel off all the external wrapping, and then I order pepper steak with no rice. I eat the meat that will fit in my sleeve, and a few onions. I've satisfied my craving, and I've stayed with the "rules" of eating with the sleeve. Sometimes, the inner fat girl wins, and I'll eat an extra spring roll and skip some meat, or I'll roll up some beans/rice with cheese and meat in a half of a flour tortilla, and eat that instead of all meat with the fajitas, but pre-op, I'd eat 3-4 spring rolls, all the meat plus all the rice with Thai food, and 3-4 full tortilla filled with fajita meat, Beans, cheese, hoards of rice, guacamole and salsa for my Mexican food. So, what I'm saying is that with the sleeve, I can still eat what I want, just in smaller quantities, and I'm not left feeling deprived, or like I can't have what I mentally want.

I kept a journal, not online, a handwritten journal during my losing phase. I was able to write out my emotions, and how I was coping with all the changes. It gave me something to keep my mind occupied, and I kind of feel like it was an outlet for me. I played computer games (Thank you Facebook), and then I would plan my meals for the next couple of days. I'm a planner, and extremely organized, pretty Type A personality, and needed structure. That is the one thing I can honestly say that helped me the most. Being organized, and having a schedule. My husband was deployed for the first 4 months of my recovery, and I wrote to him even though our communication was pretty non-existent due to his location and mission.

I would recommend setting small goals for yourself to reward yourself. Find something else that you enjoy, and for 20lbs lost, reward yourself. If you love reading, buying that #1 best seller you've been eying when you hit your goal. If you like to shop, purchase something for yourself that you won't shrink out of, like jewelry(NO rings, your fingers are going to shrink), or get your hair done. You might find exercising super exciting (I never caught that bug, I just did because I knew I had to do it), but if you end up being a workout-aholic, buy new cute workout clothes, or a new pair of sneakers. Replacing old habits with new ones is the best advice I could possibly give. Be positive, and if you have food issues, I highly recommend you tackling them now instead of waiting until after surgery. I think the band pretty much forced me to deal with my food issues because my food choices were so limited with the band. You'll do great because you've already identified some of your food issues. The next step is to really examine how you will deal with it post-op when you can't use food as a coping mechanism. Have a plan, and know that there will be struggles, and little speedbumps in the road to success. But, I can tell you 100% that your victories will outweigh the struggles tenfold! ! !

My gym offers a bellydance class twice a week, I have been taking that for 2 1/2 years and know I will get back to that after I am physically able... I am thinking of learning some new things offered at the gym too, kick boxing or pilates ..yoga... I paint, and am trying to gear up for LOTS of studio time. I also like computer games, and spend lots of time on them, but am trying to do more productive activities that I like instead. I would like to get back into meditation after quiting for the last 5 years...that helps my mood and outlook lots when I am doing it regularly.

Tiffykins, I just read that your husband was deployed the first four months of your recovery. That must have been so wonderful for him to come home and see your new appearance! I can hardly wait - my surgery is December 1. Sometimes I wonder if I'm going to miss being able to eat a huge slice of soft, fluffy cake, but being able to get through a turnstile without squeezing, or sit comfortably in a theater chair, will be worth it! I also want to thank you and your husband for the sacrifices you've made for our country. I hope you both have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I hope you're able to spend it together!

Val

Tiffykins, I just read that your husband was deployed the first four months of your recovery. That must have been so wonderful for him to come home and see your new appearance! I can hardly wait - my surgery is December 1. Sometimes I wonder if I'm going to miss being able to eat a huge slice of soft, fluffy cake, but being able to get through a turnstile without squeezing, or sit comfortably in a theater chair, will be worth it! I also want to thank you and your husband for the sacrifices you've made for our country. I hope you both have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I hope you're able to spend it together!

Val

Thank you so very much Val. . . We are together this year, and all the goodies are cooking quietly in the kitchen while the guys play video games. I hope you have a great holiday as well.

Best news is that with the sleeve, you can eat a good size piece of fluffy cake if you want to. I just did 2 weeks ago at a baby shower. I paid for it dearly because of all the carbs, I just wanted to sleep the day away, but it tasted divine ! ! ! It wasn't a huge pre-sleeve slice, but it was at least 3 inches wide at the base, and double layered with buttercream icing and raspberry filling, oh and a fondant cake at that with buttercream holding on the fondant! ! ! I love being able to still have the extra yummies, and fitting into a restaurant booth with plenty of room between me and the table is best feeling in the world! ! !

Thanks again, and have a blessed holiday!

Hi all,

Im about a month pre op and am working on curbing my bad eating habits, etc. I got to thinking about something I was told in my Options class about people developing cross addictions after surgery. I was wondering what I would have to do to get the same feeling of comfort and security that I now get from food. I am also in the habit of rewarding myself with food, so I know that might be a problem, even though I know thats really common. I honestly couldnt think of an answer besides shopping or...shopping. I keep reading posts from people who have had VSG that they just dont crave food anymore, but that is kind of hard for me to wrap my brain around. So if you don't really want to eat, what do you do? Right now, if Im bored or have free time, my husband and I go out to eat. Then maybe we'll see a movie or walk somewhere. So my questions are: has anyone suffered from cross addiction to an unhealthy degree? Also, if that desire to eat is still there what do you do to curb it? I can see myself becoming manic trying to fill every second of my day so I don't have to think about food food food! Cause thats the way I feel now :P

I worry about the same thing! I would say I am a tad bit of a shopaholic already. Whenever Im bored I go out to eat... always. And I go shopping like 4 times a week minimum! Its really mostly boredom and I think being overweight I try to compensate by looking cute to avoid the whole fat/lazy stereotype. I have stopped buying clothes as it seems pointless if im going to have surgery in 2 months. I never spend money I dont have or put shit on credit but I buy a ton of shit... that in retrospect I could live without... I kinda thought a lot of women bought stuff like crazy but my hubby thinks Im a little nutty.I dont know what to gauge it by... most of my friends just dont like shopping so they dont spend any money on shoes, purses, hair stuff, skin products, make up... How do you know when its too much? And do most people enjoy buying clothes even more after they lose weight?

I worry about the same thing! I would say I am a tad bit of a shopaholic already. Whenever Im bored I go out to eat... always. And I go shopping like 4 times a week minimum! Its really mostly boredom and I think being overweight I try to compensate by looking cute to avoid the whole fat/lazy stereotype. I have stopped buying clothes as it seems pointless if im going to have surgery in 2 months. I never spend money I dont have or put shit on credit but I buy a ton of shit... that in retrospect I could live without... I kinda thought a lot of women bought stuff like crazy but my hubby thinks Im a little nutty.I dont know what to gauge it by... most of my friends just dont like shopping so they dont spend any money on shoes, purses, hair stuff, skin products, make up... How do you know when its too much? And do most people enjoy buying clothes even more after they lose weight?

I think I am a bit of a shopaholic at heart as well, but I usually stick to the safe clothes that arent too flashy. I love love to window shop but I would feel out of place wearing a lot of the fashions that I see as meant for thin people. I think that once the weight starts coming off there will be so many more options and then I might have a little bit of a problem :P But then again, I feel like I deserve to splurge (just a little) if it makes me feel good about my new body.

I gauge my shopping by being honest with how much Im really going to use the product and if I can afford it. A lot of the time for me it is an emotional thing, so I let myself pick out everything that catches my eye, but as I continue shopping I go through things again and again and weed out the ones that don't look so nice the next time around. And I always go into a store with a rough idea of how much I am going to spend, and stick by it. I usually only end up with one or two things that I know I love.

I think I am a bit of a shopaholic at heart as well, but I usually stick to the safe clothes that arent too flashy. I love love to window shop but I would feel out of place wearing a lot of the fashions that I see as meant for thin people. I think that once the weight starts coming off there will be so many more options and then I might have a little bit of a problem :P But then again, I feel like I deserve to splurge (just a little) if it makes me feel good about my new body.

I gauge my shopping by being honest with how much Im really going to use the product and if I can afford it. A lot of the time for me it is an emotional thing, so I let myself pick out everything that catches my eye, but as I continue shopping I go through things again and again and weed out the ones that don't look so nice the next time around. And I always go into a store with a rough idea of how much I am going to spend, and stick by it. I usually only end up with one or two things that I know I love.

lol we are two of a kind! I try really hard to get stuff Ill use, I have to admit I given in to a few too high to walk in heels but other than that I behave… mostly! haha I do the same thing full the cart… then empty it HAHA I try to buy in outfits usually but for now and just spending money on accessories seeing as my size will be changing. I got my hubby to agree that I should be able to go spend a fancy girls weekend shopping for a new wardrobe after Ive lost the weight and got my tummy done :) woowoo

I can already tell that it could lead to shopping... gah!! I have to be really cool and try my hardest not to allow this to happen. I might need to give myself a monthly budget and stick to it - or start a savings account for a few months - then when the new season fashions come out I'll use my "mad money" for it. Thank goodness the house note is small!!! LOL

This is a really bad time of year for me too, black Friday and all. I just like to look cute all the time - what's a girl to do???

:P

I can already tell that it could lead to shopping... gah!! I have to be really cool and try my hardest not to allow this to happen. I might need to give myself a monthly budget and stick to it - or start a savings account for a few months - then when the new season fashions come out I'll use my "mad money" for it. Thank goodness the house note is small!!! LOL

This is a really bad time of year for me too, black Friday and all. I just like to look cute all the time - what's a girl to do???

:P

Aggg Black Friday! Cyber Monday! I just keep telling myself "Next year, next year!" :P

Mad money is a good idea, I say for every 10 lbs lost buy yourself something nice just because, no guilt! But really, theres nothing wrong with loving and appreciating our new bodies and showing them off a bit. I think the first things Im gonna buy are some nice accessories, like heels!

lol we are two of a kind! I try really hard to get stuff Ill use, I have to admit I given in to a few too high to walk in heels but other than that I behave… mostly! haha I do the same thing full the cart… then empty it HAHA I try to buy in outfits usually but for now and just spending money on accessories seeing as my size will be changing. I got my hubby to agree that I should be able to go spend a fancy girls weekend shopping for a new wardrobe after Ive lost the weight and got my tummy done :) woowoo

HA so you know that trick too LOL

HEELS! Right now Im a bit of a purse collector :P but I think heels might be my new mini obsession. And maybe scarves, I always feel wierd now when I wear them, but when I lose my weight Im gonna rock the accessories :)

Your hubby will probably be more than happy to have you all glammed up and looking pretty, especially when youre on his arm :)