Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone wish they could just take a 1 week vacation from the Band?

I totally agree with you Wheetsin!!! I had my mother of all people say things like..."I couldn't do the surgery if I couldn't have what I want!!!" And my response is..."No one said I couldn't have it at all, just that a smaller portion or just a bite is fine." We had a BBQ and all I had meat-wise was one grilled wiener and then the rest of my food was veggies (dad grilled eggplant and squash...yum!! :hungry: ) But I didn't have the chips and dip, potato salad, ribs, sausage or chicken but I did have Beans. It's all in how you CHOOSE to eat. There might be things that you can eat and things you just can't get down!! But do not let one person make one comment and change your mind about something like this. Not everyone has the same experience, everyone is different. You can still have some foods that you love just smaller portions!! Or a bite to satisfy the craving of the flavor!:heh: With that said though, it doesn't mean to go out and have a mikshake because it goes down easier....all those calories still count. You need to make the decision for YOU and not anyone else. Listen to what they say, and acknowledge it but do not let it sway the outcome on the decicion you make on YOUR health. :gluck:

But to answer the question of taking a vacation from the band...I have and it was fine. I went to Chicago, I had a deflation before I went so I would not be miserable of suffer a PB and when I got back I had a fill. It might not be for everyone to do that but for me it worked out. And I would do it again and will when I go to New Orleans in October.

That is the hard truth. But how do you get over being sad/bitter/slighted/depressed, about not being able to have more. I eat mostly out of boredom and it honestly feels good and normal to eat a fast food meal in front of my tv w/my husband. I won't take a bite until we've found a program we both want to watch. It just enhances the whole experience. I feel retarded for actually saying that outloud.

My hubby is ending his two-week band-vacation this afternoon. It wasn't planned, his last fill left him too tight, and he ended up with an irritated esopagus(sp) so they unfilled him to let it heal. And he pretty much went back to his old habits. Now, he's lost about 95 pounds since being banded, so that tells me it is an effective tool if that makes any sense.

You might be sad/bitter and all about not being able to eat what you want when you want. And maybe that will be OK. I would guess right now you aren't happy with your body, right? Or you wouldn't be here thinking about surgery. So maybe think of it as a trade-off?

One other thought, in another post you say that people comment you don't need surgery? I have to say, I've had a couple of people tell me that, and I have a BMI of 53. Which according to some charts puts me into the Super Morbidly Obese catagory. So I figure they are just trying to be kind, and say thank you and let it go.

Although I have to say, when I mention it and get a response like "Oh that's wonderful, good for you" I feel a quick twinge, like "What, you think I'm that fat". Sometimes other people just can't win, can they? :confused:

I should have came here before my date. I would love to have known I could eat one weiner and some chips at a BBQ. I thought fish was about the only thing.

Today was my sugery date. I should be recovering at home eating popsicles. I should have gotten the damn thing. I just wasn't sure what I could stomach. Or what would be the effects. Im just a scared spoiled brat!

And I can't believe that the surgeon would take the saline out for you to go on vacation?! Sounds grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

I really think postponement was the right thing for you. This website can give you some very good information, and I think you need information...from it, from your Dr., from other sites, from the library...any and all information you can get your hands on. When you make the decision, make it YOUR decision, and make it based on what you have discovered, and how you feel you would do with the information you have gathered. IMHO when you embark on this, you need to have researched it to death!!! I did. I feel like I made an informed choice, for me. One I could live with, and one that will help me live longer, and healthier. Your food choices, and abilities to eat them, will likely differ from anyone elses. Some people can eat anything they choose, simply in smaller amounts. Others have long lists of food that gives them problems. You also must keep in mind that something that gets "stuck" today, might be something you can eat without issue in 2 weeks. Everyday is a new day with this band I have discovered!! Your hormones, and natural ebb and flow of Fluid retention, affects the band. I even read an article saying the position you sleep in will affect the tightness of the band, in the morning! So each of us, can give you our experience, and you still will not know how YOU will respond.

As for eating, I have very few problems, I cannot eat large amounts of dry food, or bread, or I get "stuck" and have that hellish golfball feeling! But when I am eating with my husband in front of the TV, or in a restaurant with a group of friends, I pay attention to what I am eating, not to what they are eating. And amazingly they do the same!!! None of them care what I am eating, or how fast or slow, they don't seem to take any notice at all!! I eat smaller bites than they do, I eat much slower than they do, because I chew a lot more thouroughly. Because of this, we all finish eating about the same time. I have just ate considerably less than the others. Yes the head hunger and wanting to eat more can be problematic, but it is so amazing to feel like you WIN....you do not have to eat it all to be full. And the numbers going down on the scale, and clothes fitting better, and the compliments from friends, and the support from all the friends here at LBT, makes the head hunger something I can handle. When I slip up...and I do....the band makes it to where I can start over, rather than feeling defeated by yet another diet. Absolutely the only thing I would change about getting my band, I should have done it years ago!

Good luck making the decision, and make it an informed one. This is your life, you have to be the one to DO it, whether anyone thinks you need to lose weight or not, is a moot point, you and your Dr. must think so or you would never have made it to the point of having a surgical date!

Best of Luck!

Kat

Nellie, I agree with Kat. I think the band could be right for you, but I really think you need to get more info before your final decision.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I agree with Kat - you made the right decision postponing your surgery. You're wishy washy right now, and that's no way to approach a life altering surgery. The fact is, you're not going to know what foods (if any) will be difficult for you until AFTER the band is in place. You need to make peace with the possible outcomes. Take your time and keep reading - the band will still be there for you if and when you decide to take the leap.

hi, let me tell u having a band-less vacation is the last thing everyone needs ..I know I just had one.. It takes lots of will power something I didn't have, or I wouldn't have been here in the first place. when my band was replaced because they didn't have to manipulate the stomach my swelling was down in a week but Dr said he wanted to give it another week before the first fill. well my vac came before my fill it was hard work I thank God daily for his help during this time.. and you don't really have to deprive yourself with the band. just think of it a tool to remind yourself that your taste bud got their full about 3 bites ago