Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble With Fullness

I am almost three weeks out and having difficulty getting in my fluids and Protein. Last week, I had my 2 week postop visit on Thursday and my doc wasn't thrilled with my progression (averaging 40-50 oz Fluid and 40-50 grams protein daily). I have been exhausted since surgery and he tells me that this will continue until I reach goal (64 oz fluid and 90 grams protein daily). He asked me what was keeping me from meeting the goals and I said that I wasn't certain of what "fullness" felt like so I didn't want to stretch my sleeve out. I've had lots of gas and bloating and it feels kind of like fullness but I wasn't certain. He told me that fluids go through pretty fast so I could increase my liquids unless I started to feel pressure, pain or nausea. He told me that I would not feel the traditional "fullness" until I started on puree and he gave me the go ahead to try thin puree. He offered several suggestions for how to rid myself of the gas. I did all the things he suggested and my gas is gone ... thank God.

I went home and I ate regular pureed foods to see if I could feel what fullness feels like and I think I've got it. After food, I feel bloated but with a lot of heaviness, like a brick in my sleeve. The feeling hangs around for hours and it really hinders my fluids (waiting for 30/30 time) so I went back to liquids. Since my appointment, I have really been forcing fluids and I'm still nowhere near reaching my goals. When I first get up in the morning, I feel good. After my first 4-6 oz of fluid I start moving toward the feeling of fullness. Througout the day, as I drink, the fullness just increases. Since I was told I could force fluids, I have been trying but I'm just getting miserable.

Today, I started drinking about 6am. From then until about 2:30pm, I had 42 oz of fluid and 48 grams of protein. At 2:30pm, I stopped drinking because I'm full and nauseous. I've been taking zofran and scopolamine so I stopped drinking thinking that in an hour or so I could start again. It's been four hours and I'm still full and nauseous ... How can that be? I thought fluids were supposed to go through pretty quickly?

Any ideas of how I can reach my intake goals or ideas as to why I'm full all the time?

I am almost three weeks out and having difficulty getting in my fluids and Protein. Last week, I had my 2 week postop visit on Thursday and my doc wasn't thrilled with my progression (averaging 40-50 oz Fluid and 40-50 grams Protein daily). I have been exhausted since surgery and he tells me that this will continue until I reach goal (64 oz Fluid and 90 grams protein daily). He asked me what was keeping me from meeting the goals and I said that I wasn't certain of what "fullness" felt like so I didn't want to stretch my sleeve out. I've had lots of gas and bloating and it feels kind of like fullness but I wasn't certain. He told me that fluids go through pretty fast so I could increase my liquids unless I started to feel pressure, pain or nausea. He told me that I would not feel the traditional "fullness" until I started on puree and he gave me the go ahead to try thin puree. He offered several suggestions for how to rid myself of the gas. I did all the things he suggested and my gas is gone ... thank God.

I went home and I ate regular pureed foods to see if I could feel what fullness feels like and I think I've got it. After food, I feel bloated but with a lot of heaviness, like a brick in my sleeve. The feeling hangs around for hours and it really hinders my fluids (waiting for 30/30 time) so I went back to liquids. Since my appointment, I have really been forcing fluids and I'm still nowhere near reaching my goals. When I first get up in the morning, I feel good. After my first 4-6 oz of fluid I start moving toward the feeling of fullness. Througout the day, as I drink, the fullness just increases. Since I was told I could force fluids, I have been trying but I'm just getting miserable.

Today, I started drinking about 6am. From then until about 2:30pm, I had 42 oz of fluid and 48 grams of protein. At 2:30pm, I stopped drinking because I'm full and nauseous. I've been taking zofran and scopolamine so I stopped drinking thinking that in an hour or so I could start again. It's been four hours and I'm still full and nauseous ... How can that be? I thought fluids were supposed to go through pretty quickly?

Any ideas of how I can reach my intake goals or ideas as to why I'm full all the time?

I would like to know what he told you to get rid of the gas? I am 6 days post-op and miserable. :(

Maybe acid? Are you taking a PPI?

I would like to know what he told you to get rid of the gas? I am 6 days post-op and miserable. :(

• I was taking Gas-X. He told me to stop taking it and to use Maalox Maximum Relief.

• I was drinking a Protein shake called ENS chocolate Milk. I would mix it up thin but as it would sit it would get very thick. He asked me to stop drinking it for a while.

• i was taking my multi-Vitamins in the morning. He said that they can sometimes cause gas/bloating/nausea so he asked me to take them at night before bed.

• I was using soy milk for my shakes. He asked me to use regular milk for a while and see what happened.

• I was taking one or two SF mints daily for my breath. The contained sugar alcohols so he asked me to stop.

Unfortunately, I did all of this at once so I have no idea what made the difference. Hope this helps :-)

I went through the same thing with feeling too full. It was several weeks before it got any easier. It took me forever just to take my night time meds because I felt full after chasing each pill down with Water. As I started to heal and the swelling started to go away, it got better.

I don't know if you have tried having your drinks at different temperatures. But, I did much better with cold than I did with warm. sugar free popcicles and snowcones helped me get fluids in. For some reason, plain Water hit my stomach like a brick. Crystal light, SF koolaid and stuff like that worked best for me. If cold doesn't work for you, try warm tea or hot cocoa.

These first few weeks are the hardest. Good luck.

I went through the same thing with feeling too full. It was several weeks before it got any easier. It took me forever just to take my night time meds because I felt full after chasing each pill down with Water. As I started to heal and the swelling started to go away, it got better.

I don't know if you have tried having your drinks at different temperatures. But, I did much better with cold than I did with warm. sugar free popcicles and snowcones helped me get fluids in. For some reason, plain Water hit my stomach like a brick. Crystal light, SF koolaid and stuff like that worked best for me. If cold doesn't work for you, try warm tea or hot cocoa.

These first few weeks are the hardest. Good luck.

Thank you, Maddie. So good to know it's not just me. I've had all the different temps and haven't noticed any difference but I'll start paying more attention to see if a pattern emerges. Just one question for you, when you were going through this, what was your daily focus? Fluids, Protein or stopping when full?

My daily focus was on fluids. My dr told me that as important as the Protein was, that it was more important to stay hydrated. So, I pushed liquids and took in as much protein as I could. If I tried to push in too much at one time, not only was I miserable but it would often come back up. So, I listened to my body. I promise, it does get easier.

My daily focus was on fluids. My dr told me that as important as the Protein was, that it was more important to stay hydrated. So, I pushed liquids and took in as much Protein as I could. If I tried to push in too much at one time, not only was I miserable but it would often come back up. So, I listened to my body. I promise, it does get easier.

Thank you, Maddie. Finally, in the last hour my fullness is starting to ease up and the nausea is gone. Can't believe it took six hours.