Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the early process of getting ready for sleeve surgery. I would like to have several of you tell exactly what pre-op tests you had to have. What did your doctor require and what was your experience with the testing? I am a surgery RN and I know too much and need to have all my ducks in a row. I want details. Nervous but my decision is made. I will have sleeve surgery and I will live a much healthier happier life. This forum for asking questions has been great. I just joined last night and this is my first question, I am sure there will be more.

Also, I am using Dr. Stephen Hamm, Plano, Texas anyone else have any experiences with him.

Thanks for your comments. I just want the facts going in.

I am in the early process of getting ready for sleeve surgery. I would like to have several of you tell exactly what pre-op tests you had to have. What did your doctor require and what was your experience with the testing? I am a surgery RN and I know too much and need to have all my ducks in a row. I want details. Nervous but my decision is made. I will have sleeve surgery and I will live a much healthier happier life. This forum for asking questions has been great. I just joined last night and this is my first question, I am sure there will be more.

Also, I am using Dr. Stephen Hamm, Plano, Texas anyone else have any experiences with him.

Thanks for your comments. I just want the facts going in.

I was sleeved on 11/15/10 by Dr. Schrapps @ Christus Bariatric Center in Beaumont, TX. My pre-op tests include psych eval, EKG, lab work and chest x-ray. That was it. Good luck to you.

I was sleeved on 11/15/10 by Dr. Schrapps @ Christus Bariatric Center in Beaumont, TX. My pre-op tests include psych eval, EKG, lab work and chest x-ray. That was it. Good luck to you.

Thanks so much for your comments. You are really a new sleever then. How did your surgery go and did you have any problems post-op? Any drains, tubes or any problems? Sorry for so many questions, but the best place to get information is from the ones that had the surgery. Thanks if you can answer, I am sure it will be helpful.

Neanie

Thanks so much for your comments. You are really a new sleever then. How did your surgery go and did you have any problems post-op? Any drains, tubes or any problems? Sorry for so many questions, but the best place to get information is from the ones that had the surgery. Thanks if you can answer, I am sure it will be helpful.

Neanie

I don't mind at all. That is what we are here for - to help and support each other. My surgery went fine. After one very miserable night in the hospital, I came home. Yes I have a drain on the right side about 2 inches below my breast. That is to come out on Monday. I feel good and having no problems with nausea. The one problem I am having (also another lady on here too) is this horrible back pain. Even walking doesn't help. It is hard to get comfortable and we don't know what is wrong. I am taking the Gas X faithfully but no relief. Feel free to ask me anything and I will tell you what I can. I know this is a scary process. I'm already down almost 20 pounds from date of surgery. However, I know a lot of this is Fluid because I was so swollen when I first came home. I actually gained 8 lbs before I started losing. Good luck and keep in touch.

Greetings! Although I have not yet had my surgery, I have been through much of the prelim. requirements. I had a psych evaluation, appt. w/cardiologist, Upper GI Endoscopy and support group meeting. My only other requirement is the nutrition class which is 4 hours on Tuesday. After that I am all set for surgery on December 7th. I truly dreaded the upper gi endoscopy just because i had never had one. PIECE OF CAKE!. I didn't even feel anything except the pinch for my IV!

Good luck to you,

tfinister

I was required to have:

- sleep study

- endoscopy

- EKG

- nuclear stress test

- meeting with a nutritionist

- routine blood work

- chest xray

Good for you wanting details. I demanded them from my NUT and his staff.

Not in exact order - but bloodwork (a lot of blood - 4 or 5 vials) tests, meetings with physcologist & nutritionist, support group attendance mandated prior to surgery, breath test to see if I had an ulcer, EKG, physical examination by internal MD (who is doing my post exams) and upper body sonogram prior to surg(is this is correct term?) to do two things...look to see if I had gallstones yet (I did) and for surgeon to see my internal organ placements to see if anything was unusual such as a hernia. Next month I take another blood test at 3 months out to make sure I am supplimenting correctly.

I was an outpatient, had a tough time for two days after surgery due to bad reaction to anesthic. I did not have a drain, nor a pain pump I see so many writing about, no morphine IV drip & I only took pain liquid twice and that was to sleep at night 3 & 4. As you already know, aftercare is everything.

No regrets on decision to have VSG but I will I had better prepared myself for how my new life is today. I have cried over not being able to gorge. I needed to learn to eat more slowing prior to surgery. Today, out of habit I still open the fridge looking for some so called quick happiness. My body functions are different (BM), my taste of food is different as some foods I used to consider a treat now do nothing for me and now taste strange. The amount I eat right now is shockingly low - 1/4 cup or so per meal, which is normal. But to a girl who used to eat like a man...or two, eating a few bites and then feeling full is downright scary.

Best of luck to you! - oc gal

I was also just sleeved on the 15th!! My pre-op was

NUT (2 appointment)

Labs

Psych eval

EKG - internal med doc

Chest X-ray (dh also had to have gallballder ultrasound, I've had mine out!)

Pulmanary Test

Support Group

EDG

I was sleeved on Thursday by Dr. Cribbins in Plano, Dr Hamm's partner. I am grateful to have used Dr. Cribbins, as he helped explain everything so thoroughly. There was a small complication at the start of my surgery, and he handled it well with my husband during, and with me after. Also, just an fyi.....Dr Hamm leaves the tube from your nose into your stomach through the first day post op, Dr Cribbins does not.

As for pre testing, I went to Pesby Plano, the week before surgery for an upper GI, an EKG, a chest x-ray, and some blood work. No big deal at all. After the tests at the hospital, I went back to their office for a metabolism test that had me breathing into a tube for 15 minutes.

My actual surgery was at Baylor Frisco. It's a fairly good distance from our Dallas home, but I think it was worth it, it was a beautiful facility.

I had a psych eval, physical with my GP, a few meetings with the NUT, bloodwork, EKG, and an ABG (ouch!). I had seen a cardiologist within a year, and had a stress test, so I am not sure if they would have ordered that if I hadn't had that done recenlty. Thats all I had to do. Of course every DR. is different and every patient. I think they may order tests based on your medical history as well.

I did not have a drain after surgery because it went very well and I had little bleeding. I had a urinary cath but it came out the next morning. I had my surgery on Monday Oct 4th at 7am and went home the next day in the late afternoon. I was in pretty much pain the first few days and in some pain for a week or so. It gets less everyday.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!!!

PS. I am a new grad RN!

Welcome!!!! I haven't been sleeved as of yet. But my required tests are based on what my insurance required and surgeon. Six month diet and exercise documentation with primary. Nut eval. and have a BMI 40 or above with no co-morbities. Below 40 with at least two co-morbities (As each is different on the requirements ) The surgeon is requiring a gallbladder ultrasound, CBC, CMP, TSH, H. Pylori. Every surgeon is different on what they require. Again, welcome. Keep us updated..

not in order:-ultrasound of gaul bladder

- Upper GI endoscopy

- EKG

- nuclear stress test

- 2 meetings with a nutritionist

- routine blood work

- chest xray

-2 Psychologist visits

-visit with the surgeon to determine if I am a candidate

-visit with my Cardiologist to get a letter of approval for surgery

-attend a seminar about WLS (it was for RNY, but thats what they mostly do)

-up to date Mammogram , pap , colonoscopy and physical by my General Dr.

There was a loooong list of stuff to do! They got me through quickly, from start (going to visit the Bariatric Surgeon) to finish(getting a date) it was 6 weeks.

I am now just waiting to get to my date, and keep my weight the same,(I am on the boarder with my BMI) January 18th!

This is in order of how things went for me personally.

Call Insurance

Case Manager's Call

Nurse's Call

Meet Nutritionist for 6 consecutive months (yes, I had to wait 6 months per my insurance...but it saved me literally thousands of $$$)

Attend Seminar

Meet with Surgeon

Meet with PCP

Blood Work/Labs

Pulmonary Test

Psych. Eval.

Attend Nutrition Class

All paperwork submitted to insurance (Oct. 5th, was able to have surgery on Oct. 22)

Pre-Op Surgeon Meeting

Pre-Admission Testing (EKG, blood vials, urine (pg test), etc.)

Surgery - 10/22/10

Post Op I have done:

1 week follow up with surgeon and 1 week nutrition class

3 week follow up with surgeon and 3 week nutrition class

and I go in 2 week for my 6 week follow up and class...then I think my next deal is 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, etc.

I had to attend a seminar, next was the first Doctors appointment where they did a H Pylori and Vitamin D level (personally I think it was just to make more money on the visit).

Next was a Psych Eval, when that was approved then my insurance had a lady calling me doing phone coaching addressing eating habits, weight loss progress and emotional issues.

A sleep study was ordered and when then a visit with a pulmonologist who did testing and reviewed the sleep study. He asked if I had ever had a stress test but decided from my test results it was not necessary. After he cleared me I had to meet with a nutritionist and attend at least one support group meeting and an abdominal ultrasound and I then got the date! My pre op testing at the hospital included an EKG, an Upper Gi and Chest xray. Now, two more sleeps and I will be sleeved!

3 monthly weigh-ins

Stress Test

Nutritional Visit

Stress Test

EGD with Blood Work

sleep Study

Final Surgical Visit after Approval

Surgery is scheduled for 12/29. Best of luck to you!