Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach prolapse through band

All surgeons to my knowledge anchor the band at the time of the first surgery to prevent a slip. It just isn't foolproof.

Dr. C

I wondered about that, it seemed like something that a lot of surgeons would do.

I told you I travel often. I will be going to Spokane this next trip. That is in Washington state and it the state is not that big............so I guess I will be fairly close to your doctor. How long does it take to get in to see him??? How long will it take to see if insurance pays anything???? Well, it probably can not be done in that trip, but I do travel in that direction often. We have a home in Northern Idaho.............I love the GREAT Northwest.

God bless

My Dr. is Dr. Montgomery at the NWWLS in Everett Wa. He banded my husband almost 2 years ago, and I'm really impressed by him and the clinic. He and his partner have done something like 1400 bands between them, it's now all they do at their clinic. They have great support staff and I liked their approach. They do their best to make sure all your questions are answered, that they have explained the pros and cons of this surgery. They take their time and really listen to you. They offer good after-surgery support. Fills for the first year are included in the fee, they are always available by phone and in person to answer questions, and they have a monthly support group that meets at their clinic.

They also now will cover their fees for any additional procedure that has to be done on a self-pay patient, which I am. That doesn't cover fees they have no control over, for example the anthesitologist(sp?) or other facility fees, but that made me feel better. They have confidence in their work to back it up.

My best advice is to talk to a lot of people about their experiences, and go to seminars and talk to surgeons.

I told you I travel often. I will be going to Spokane this next trip. That is in Washington state and it the state is not that big............so I guess I will be fairly close to your doctor. How long does it take to get in to see him??? How long will it take to see if insurance pays anything???? Well, it probably can not be done in that trip, but I do travel in that direction often. We have a home in Northern Idaho.............I love the GREAT Northwest.

God bless

I do too, lived here my whole life and still love it!

I was able to get appts the week after I called, and usually they will try to get them all on one day, esp. if you are from out of town. I needed to have mine in the afternoon so I took less time off of work, so they were spread out.

I don't know about insurance, I'm self-pay.

I think my band may have slipped- since Monday afternoon I have been experiencing acid reflux and pain on my left side from my shoulder blade, down to the end of my rib cage. I am able to eat and drink normally, but am just worried as this has never happened before (banded 3/14/06 10 cm band total fill 0.7 cc with good restriction -50lbs). If it is a slip, I thought it had to be surgically repaired? I was looking through this old thread and someone mentioned a complete unfill as the fix- in the same thread you said a slip was "easily fixed". Let me know what you think. I left a message with my surgeon. Liz :phanvan

Yes, this is the same as a slip. Sometimes surgeons (myself included!) are reluctant to use the word "slip". No use fretting until you get the test, even if you are slipped it's easily fixed.

Good luck!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

Yes, this is the same as a slip. Sometimes surgeons (myself included!) are reluctant to use the word "slip". No use fretting until you get the test, even if you are slipped it's easily fixed.

Good luck!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

Does the band slip because you have eaten too much? Or because of vomitting? My doctor said to eat smaller portions and if that doesnt work he would have to operate again. WHat does that operation entail and why do some people get unfilled and some people have to have another operation? I am only four months post op. He said it was only slightly coming through.

You will see my post on here about my slippage. Sometimes they can fix themselves and sometimes not. Try not to stress about it, I think most of them will fix on their own if you give it the time and proper care it needs. Good luck to you!

Is a stretched pouch the same as prolapse?

You will see my post on here about my slippage. Sometimes they can fix themselves and sometimes not. Try not to stress about it, I think most of them will fix on their own if you give it the time and proper care it needs. Good luck to you!

How does it fix on its own and what do you meant by proper care it needs? If someone has to go for surgery to have it fixed what kind of surgery is it?

Prolapse is what people are referring to when they say that a band slipped. It just means that tissue has come through an orifice of some sort, in this case the band, and is situated in an unintended/abnormal way. Hope that helps :w00t: