Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering VS and scared

Hi - I'm thinking of having the vertical sleeve surgery. My BMI is over 50. So am I. I'm afraid this is my last chance, but I'm really scared - of the life change, of the diet change, of the surgery, of the loose skin, even of being thin.

It is a big change, but if you can think of it this way; What is truly more scary? The dietary changes (that are only temporary because after the initial post-op diet, you really can eat your favorites again, just in smaller portions), a little loose skin, an hour long surgery, or stay FAT for the rest of your life. For me, all of the obesity related conditions and diseases were far more frightening than the actual surgery. I didn't want to be on 4-5 different medications to treat hypertension, diabetes and the other long list of conditions that can develop with a BMI of nearly 50. I was scared too, it's normal. If you have access to a therapist through your program, start talking to someone now, work through these issues before you have surgery. I lost 145lbs, and honestly I do not have hoards of loose skin, yeah I'm flabby but I also haven't worked out in almost 7 months. If you're not ready mentally and emotionally, don't schedule the surgery until you are 100% ready. Keep reading, do some soul searching, and if you have questions, ask us. We're here for you! ! !

My favorite new mantra is; "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels".

I was very scared too when my doctor told me he wanted me to have the sleeve when my lapband failed. After doing lots of research and talking with the wonderful sleevers on this forum, I have realized this is the tool I need in order to finally end my weight issue. If you are worried or have a question, everyone is here for you. They will help you through it. I don't think I have ever felt more support than I have here. Good luck!

I was scared too, but I also knew that I didn't want to sit by on the sidelines for the rest of my life because I was too overweight to participate! I missed out on so many things over the years because of my physical condition or because I was too embarrassed at how fat I was to go - not anymore :) I agree with Tiff, this is a big and permanent change, if you aren't ready then keep researching and keep sould searching. When the time is right, you will be ready. I am just over three months out and I can eat whatever I want to but I am seriously eating to live, not living to eat any more and it feels wonderful. Read through the posts on this board, it is a wealth of information and a huge family of support. I wish you well on your journey and never be afraid to ask questions

Kathy

Thank you, all three of you! I made my decision to go for the sleeve, and my surgery is set for December 1. I'm getting excited, not scared any more. I'm on the liver shrinking diet (my doc requires all liquids) and because my liver is huge I started it on 11/17. This is the second day, and I'm starving and feel weak, but I'm sure I'll live! Thank you for your encouragement!

congrats on your decision to be sleeved! There are soooo many benefits to having this surgery done.. I'm newly out of surgery (7 weeks today) and I feel fantastic about my decision.... Now its just a matter of time before I reach my target! I'm sure that when you get to the other side.. You will feel like you have made a fantastic choice to better your health in all ways possible!

I was scared too...but I don't regret a thing. You' ll be able to eatnagain only much smaller portions...but believe me it is plenty. Plus after only a few weeks and several pounds gone I felt like a new person. Congratulations on your decision and good luck!

I was scared too! But I'm so glad I did it! Hope all works out for you:D

Hi Fluffy! I was scared too... and skeptical. It's easy to do when you've already had one failed WLS. Being scared before ANY surgery is normal. You wouldn't be normal if you weren't!

However, I was WRONG to be skeptical!! This thing REALLY WORKS! Yeah, okay you have to do the diet part to lose the weight - but really, the choice on that is all mine. If I wanted a slice of pizza I could have one. It still won't help me lose weight, but at least I could have it if I wanted it. Then my "Safety Net" the sleeve would be there to help me to NOT over do it. Yeah!!!! Can't be mad about that! The sleeve is such a blessing for those of us struggling with our weight our entire lives. I THANK GOD for this! :-)

Soon you will be sitting on the other side here with us, singing a new tune -- happy to tell all the pre-sleevers just how awesome a tiny tummy really is. :)

Thank you, all three of you! I made my decision to go for the sleeve, and my surgery is set for December 1. I'm getting excited, not scared any more. I'm on the liver shrinking diet (my doc requires all liquids) and because my liver is huge I started it on 11/17. This is the second day, and I'm starving and feel weak, but I'm sure I'll live! Thank you for your encouragement!

Hi, I am so proud of you that you made the right choice. You are going to like the sleeve after you get used to it. It's a great tool, but remember that it takes gettting used to . . . I really hated that bugger for a while cause it prevented me from pigging out and now i have to be a lady. . . it's really strange because all our lives we eat whatever quantity we want get huger then life and suddenly bang! overnight it's all taken away and we have to start over, we need to retrain our stupid selves and undo what we spent so many years doing. . .it's tough and there will be buyers remorse, but you know what, I am happy I did it, I've lost alot of weight and can actually live a normal life. . . for the first time ever I was able to sit in an airplane seat, buckle the seatbelt have about 7-8 inches left over AND cross my legs while sitting there. . . I went from a 4XL down to a 16 have lost over 140 lbs all my labs are normal, I'm just livin life good now. . . good luck to you! and just remember to walk and sip after surgery, it'll help that gas pain. . . this was my 18th major surgery and i've learned that the quicker you get up and move the better it is. . . . :)

I'm only 1 month post-op and would go back and do it all again! Best decision I have ever made for myself. My hubby is having it too (hoping for a Dec. date) and he has hypertension and asthma (plus a slew of allergies) and we are both looking forward to adding years back on to our lives once we shed the label of obesity.

Definitely it is scary going under, but I had 100% faith in my well-chosen surgeon and knew that I was going to have to work to make this work for me.

Good luck on the diet...you can DO this!

You guys are all so encouraging, and I appreciate it so much! I have to say, I got so excited at thinoneday's comment about being able to buckle the airplane seatbelt with inches left over, AND cross her legs! Can't even remember when I did that last. I have to use a seatbelt extension now, and my legs are way too fluffy for crossing! Right now, December 1 can't come fast enough! For Thanksgiving, since I'm still on the all-liquid liver-shrinking diet, my husband and I are staying home alone in our pajamas. Everyone knows I'm on a liquid diet for about a month (2 weeks before surgery, and whatever the doc says after), but only a couple people know I'm having surgery. They just think that after the liquid diet, regular food will be re-introduced very slowly. Everyone is very supportive of my 'diet,' and the surgery is my business to disclose as I choose. So very excited right now! Thank you all so much for the encouragement!