Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Infuriating Marie Claire blog about fat people on TV

http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/dating-blog/overweight-couples-on-television

It's actually titled "Should Fatties Get a Room?" (yes, you read that right!)

It was linked on a medical obesity blog I follow regularly. The physician referred to it as "the most vile article about the obese I have ever read."

Please peruse the comments, too, there's quite a few. I've already sent an e-mail to the editor (JoannaColes at hearst com), so if you are as riled up as I was, do that - and post a comment, as well, as the author's been offering half-assed apologies after the backlash.

OMG that lady is stark raving mad! I cannot believe how insensitive she was. It was like she was writing for some "I hate fatties" magazine or something. I don't even know what to say or how to respond.

Also when someone has to retract their original statement and apologize, I always think its more about themselves than really being genuine about it. She would not have done that if majority of replies agreed with her. You can't think of all that, actually write it down and hit "Submit" after (seeing as she's a writer I'm sure she does this) PROOFREADING it a few times AND not really believe what you are writing.

I will never buy that magazine. Also, who is editing her stuff? You know several folks read her article before it being publicized. That is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

:huh:

WOW! I am still going through the article ... but right now the only polite thing I can say is WOW! I agree - more than the author should be held accountable for this - there had to be an editor and publisher in the process.

WOW! Other minorities would have this woman's job on a plate & a huge lawsuit against that publishing company. Does anyone know if CNN or NBC have news of this yet? Could be interesting...

ok ... I read more (still not finished) and couldn't help myself.

I sent the article, a link to this forum, and a similiar one on ObesityHelp.com to 2 of our local news stations. If the national news isn't carrying it, maybe we can get the word out to local news stations & get the news going.

It is not OK to bash ANY minority group like this. :angry:

I sent the article to our local news carriers. Hopefully, they will bring attention to this horrible case of prejudice.

I also see that some "bigger" time media has wind of this:

Today.msnbc

Washington post

You can see other articles with Bingor Google using "marie claire obesity" Bing Search

Ugh ... my blood is boiling, but starting to come down a bit now that I know it's more than "just us" raging against this.

I got a response back:

"I really do not hate fat people, and really do have compassion for people who struggle with their weight and their body image--I've done both most of my life--even if I also think obesity is a serious problem that people respond to in ways that seem strange to me. I'm really sorry my post has been so blown out of proportion, and I feel really really so bad that I've hurt the feelings of so many people. Believe it or not, I never intended to that."

Apparently she is still in denial about the consequences of her comments. I guess she doesn't understand still. I like how she refers to overweight people as fat people. How classy.

What a bitch...

the reason why this article did not SHOCK me is because I know how many people out there in the world are UNEDUCATED about the complexity in regards to obesity. Yes I realized that I should probably do something to live a healthier life by choosing VSG but I also understand the biochemical reasons as to why it is so simple and so difficult to become obese and then try to lose the weight. There is a lesson to be learnt by all of this regardless if we want to recognize it or not. The general public (who has a "normal BMI) has no clue when it comes to the issues involving obesity because their body does not react the same as an obese person. For example we all know countless people in and around our lives who are a normal BMI and eat fast food, junk, and have not experienced weight gain where as the obese can eat whole foods, that is deemed healthful foods and still be obese. Yes life is not fair but writers who are going to post something so uneducated is just asking for a war. Needless to say.. just down right immature.

Good deal ladies, I'm afraid I just wouldn't be able to keep my composure myself. I am still in awe of how she did (like pefferment mentioned) called overweight people "fat". That to me is akin to, and should be considered a four letter word. Maybe I'm being overly "sensitive", but seriously don't really care. People just need to be more considerate of others feelings.

I mean she basically raked all overweight people over the coals and wasn't even being soft about it.

Bitch... yes.

WE all know there are some people who feel like this author... I guess her "honesty" has allowed the dust to be kicked up and the discussion to begin in earnest. Its about time. With almost 30% of the population obese, perhaps there is a fight to be won. A mind to be changed.

Quick thoughts before this fatty dashes off to ballet class (although fat people shouldn't be allowed to do ballet, right?):

1) I agree that this article went through several reviewers before it was published and even though there's always the "the author's opinion does not represent the views of *insert media outlet*," the simple fact that they opted to print it showed that they thought it was NOT in terrible taste. I pointed this out in my e-mail to the editor.

2) We are not even the minority anymore! Isn't 70% of America overweight or obese at this point?

3) There are definitely people there who lack education and do not believe in WLS, etc. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we need to do our part to educate them. However, there's a line between not agreeing with WLS and speculating that fat people can lose weight with diet and exercise VS being vocal and offensive. One of the comments on the article called her a bully, and I think it's a very accurate description. Honestly, when I saw the word "fatty," I couldn't believe my eyes. Is this elementary school? I like to use the word "fat" in relation to myself to make people uncomfortable with the definition of the word and to take away the social stigma, but it's very much maligning coming out of her mouth.

BTW, gotta love her response to Peffermintchili...."I really do not hate fat people." (*I just call them fatties and cringe when I see them walk around and do not want to ever see them*) URGH.

Yes the article is totally inappropriate! Unfortunately I think it is a view point that a lot of thinner people feel. That is why overweight people have faced discrimination for years. It is why when I was in grade school I was made fun of and not picked for team activities till the end. I think people who have been over weight for most of their life protect them selves from rejection by not striving for the new job, exposing them self to new people and situations. Of course there are exceptions to this, I am very out going and active in my career. But it does hurt in the inside when I am judged first due to my weight (though I try to hid those emotions from others). My husband and his family are thin people and I have heard my husband make comments like this on many occasions..... yes we have fights and have even been very close to divorce before due to my weight. . I had struggled with my weight all my life. Yet with the help of stimulants and a very low calorie diet I was able to loose. You all know how that turned out. Slowly the weight came back and then one day I realized OMG I have gained back all the weight and more! I was thin when I met and married my husband. I had told him of my struggles with weight and that I hoped not to gain it back but most people do gain weight back. He just thought I would not gain back, or so he says. I currently have a BMI of 32. I am planning on the VGS in January 2011. I want the surgery for me, so that I will feel better in my own skin and to be healthier for the children I have been blessed to be a mother to. My husband is totally behind me in regards to the VSG.... he does not want a fat wife.

In short this article is horrible.... do I believe her apology is for real?? NO WAY, one does not say things to this extent with out having this core value. The writer is sorry about the back lash and that now the world sees her as the bigot that she is. I hate that my husband feels the way he does and we have had and continue to have very challenging discussions when these comments are made to me regarding other over weight people he see. (direct comments about me ceased years ago when I told him to hit the road and don't look back if he could not except me the way I am) Thank goodness he does have the self control to keep his comments out of the ear shot of other. The author of this article should be held accountable! Had she said this about Muslims she would have been fired! Will she be held accountable.... NO. Like others have said.... before this was published several people read and proofed this article. It raised no RED flags until the public out cry.

Sorry this is long -- wanted you all to read my email to her:

I realize you have written a mea culpa after the fiasco of a blog you put out into the ethersphere about fat/obese/"rolls and rolls of fat" people. I'm also betting you are right when you said your reaction may be due to the fact that you yourself have an eating disorder. How ironic! A person who used to suffer from an eating disorder bashing others who suffer from eating disorders. Actually, it's not ironic. It's sad.

The killer is that in your "mea culpa" you said, " I feel just as uncomfortable when I see an anorexic person as I do when I see someone who is morbidly obese . . . " Do you?? When was the last article you read that bashed anorexics?? As in, "Oh my god, did you see that sack of bones just walk across the bar? It's like the night of the living dead." No where. Please, let's get real. There is no one who justifiably thinks that anyone with anorexia is a "bad" person, that, in your words, "It's something they can change, if only they put their minds to it." We all know it's a disease, a medical problem. Do we bash people like that? No, we say, "gosh, I really hope she gets well soon." Or something to that effect.

Your knowledge of obesity and what causes it is seriously lacking -- it's not just something that "most people have a ton of control over." Nope, doesn't work that way. In fact, many women you see who are morbidly obese have PCOS (that's Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) -- where cysts grow around their ovaries, mess with their metabolism, and make it extraordinarily, if not impossible to lose weight (and have kids, but who's counting). So when you see a morbidly obese woman, do you think, "Gosh, that must suck to struggle to lose weight and not be able to have kids." Nope, you didn't. You attribute it to "lack of control." (Go figure, she might have a medical condition! Sound familiar?)

In addition, researchers (obesity researchers) have recently found out our "eat 5 breads a day diet" actually has a direct correlation with the rise in obesity. But! Researchers have also discovered that our production of fat is not controlled by the calorie consumption and calorie expenditure -- in fact, the fat production in our bodies can get so out of wack that the fat cells keep reproducing without stopping. But that's just research, right?? Who needs FACTS when we can talk about "control" and "exercise" and "nutrition." Who needs FACTS when we can just put our discriminatory opinions out for public consumption??

Don't think it was discriminatory? Let's do a test -- you said: "So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room "

Let's replace a couple of words: "So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters of African descent kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch an African American person simply walk across a room."

Nope -- you wouldn't say that would you? That wouldn't be nice. It would be . . . hmmm . . . discriminatory! Right?? What makes you think that judging ANYONE by their appearance is any less discriminatory??? Because you can, right? Because the vast majority of people in the United States will agree with you. Still didn't make it right in the 1800s and it doesn't make it right now.

Your mea culpa fell far short of what it should have been -- what you need to do is examine your own mores. If you're willing to discriminate against one, where does it stop??