Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nightline story on VSG tonight.

Hi All, Nightline on ABC will be doing a story on sleeve surgeries tonight 10/25 here is a link about it:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/fighting-weight-gain-radical-stomach-removal-surgery/story?id=11964731&page=1

just watched it.... great plug for Dr. Treen... I think sleeves just got a little more popular...

Glad I saw this post. I hope it is good news.. I hate when shows show the neg side.

Just got done reading the article at the above link. Peoples comments on the story are mostly negative, ignorant about obesity, and one size fits all opinion...

I just watched the video -- overall, I think it was good -- I wish he hadn't said that there would be no diet and exercise (because let me tell you, I'm not eating this high Protein low carb diet for nothin'! and doing my exercise for nothin'!) -- but I think it was an accurate representation of the vsg surgery -- it would be interesting to see if they do a followup on the patients. I just don't want people to think this is the "easy way out." Cuz it ain't.

i just watched the story online and I didnt feel like it was a negative towards the surgery what so ever!! yay for that... and yeah i think Sleeve is going to become alot more popular :)

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/surgery-vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy-11968867 thats the link to the actual video they showed last night on ABC if anyone wants to watch it

Im not even 4 weeks out yet and im down 20lbs .. which is about a quarter of the weight i need to lose to get to goal!! YAYAYAY!! 8)

Thanks Sleeve! I'm going to have to check it out -- for sure.

Julia, agreed 100%!!

Hi, I thought overall it was well done but I agree with Julie about the exercise and diet but without those4 two I can see why he said weigh lose stopped around six months out. I also wish they had spent more time with the ladies in their support group. I am also glad I didn't see the surgery before surgery I could not believe how big the fundus was(G) I also liked what the doctor had to say about patients needing this and not having the option through our insurance.

Nancy

Hey i sawthe part about the surgry. very iteresting.

Just got done reading the article at the above link. Peoples comments on the story are mostly negative, ignorant about obesity, and one size fits all opinion...

Hi there :)

I watched it as well, and was completely baffled by the comments at the end....really mean, judgmental, and negative comments by people who really don't know Beans. I just started my pre op diet and can't wait to get a date! :)

The only thing I hate is that they use the word "RADICAL" Like rerouting patient's intestine, and making a tiny pouch for RNY, or inserting a foreign object with a band is NOT radical in some way? ?? I just hate the terminology they use, "radical, drastic" etc. I don't see this anymore drastic or radical than RNY or the band in all honesty.

I'm glad VSG is getting more "ad" time, but hate the vocabulary the media uses to grab viewer's attention.

I wonder what those people who compare losing weight to breaking a leg are thinking. A broken leg heals. It doesn't break over and over again with the break getting worse each time, finally staying broken because we just get tired of trying to get it to heal.

If those who judge us could only live in our bodies for a short time, they'd come to realize that obesity is indeed genetic in some cases, emotional in some cases, and permanently incurable in many cases without the assistance of this type of surgery.

I am so tired of people thinking we're "taking the easy way out" or doing this instead of changing our lifestyles. What do they think this is if it isn't a lifestyle change? This is the biggest committment I've EVER made to losing weight and keeping it off, not counting the thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent on every weight loss gimmick and diet and gym and pill in the book!

I'm so frustrated with those who judge others - especially us!

Thanks for the info! I am sort of sorry I read the comments, though! It seems like those people wanted to foist as much blame as they could on obese people. Even the well-meaning comments mentioned things like, "obese people need to just stop eating junk food" and "you just have to stop eating so much." It just shows a total misunderstanding for what obese people go through. I myself have spent a month hiking, covering over a hundred miles on my own two feet. I've biked hundreds of miles, completed century rides, and spent most of my life being active. But, I put on weight incredibly easily, and I find it incredibly hard to take off weight. I find it it really tiresome that everyone assumes I spend my days eating McDonald's for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and that I'm just too "lazy" to get on a real diet. Most obese people have probably lost hundreds of pounds over a lifetime fighting this affliction, and it just comes back. I totalled up my weight loss efforts once and figured out that I've lost at least 200 lbs in my lifetime (and regained it all over time). I really don't think that adds up to laziness. I think that adds up to the need to try something different.

I watched this last night and was completely shocked when they mentioned that we don't "diet or exercise", that really upset me. Like it's just another lazy thing to do- go and get surgery. So false. I am really tired of the prejudices obese folks face, it seems ok to say mean things and belittle efforts. It was like the reporter just didn't understand why anyone would have such a "radical" surgery. A lot of people don't realize that this surgery will someday soon become routine for many people of lower BMI's as a cure for metabolic disorders and diabetes. This is what's on the horizon guys~ I've been reading a lot about this. In the end the VSG will save millions of people from the ravages of disease that they are currently living with. And drug companies will try to stop it. They aren't gonna like it one bit. Well, too bad I say!