Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here I am, a big tough guy and ashamed of the fact that today all I wanted to do is cry. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out from my surgery and I'm so sad. I don't really think it's from the loss of food or the change in lifestyle. I'm wondering if it's some kind of nutritional deficiency that's causing my depression. My stomach is queazy most of the day, I know I'm short on Water intake but I'm trying to get in at least 60gm of Protein and take my Vitamins. I'm not sure if anyone can relate to this, but this is also causing anxiety by my wondering if my depression will worsen of if I'll pull through this thing and the constant queeziness doesn't help. How long does it take to feel "normal" again? Has anyone else had these feelings?

Sorry for such a "downer" post but I know there are many wonderful people here that may have some advice.

Just like the "stall" I think this emotional break is typical for us sleevers and for some reason something we all go through it. I know I felt sad and slightly depressed a few weeks out, but it really did get better. These feelings of worry, doubt, disappointment, and maybe even a little regret will past. Just focus on letting your body heal and do what it needs to do to re-establish an equilibrium.Prayer and meditation may help or if that's not your thing dive into a good book, new video game, or try to figure out what makes women tick! LOL!

I am a bit of an eternal optimist and can always find something good to say, but I'm not blowing smoke here... it really and truly gets better, in fact it gets pretty dam amazing! Congratulations on your new life and best of luck!!

I can relate on the sickness feeling. We're about the same amount of time out and it wasn't until the end of this week that my stomach stopped feeling queazy all the time. It made eating pretty much impossible, as well as drinking, but I just kept telling myself to take a sip. Even if it was only one or two sips an hour. Hang in there, it'll continue to get better!

My cloud lifted day 14, but I still struggle from time to time. One of my issues right now is that I don't enjoy food anymore, and that's depressing for me :( but I know I will get through it.

Keep your head up. There's always a moment after a major change when one feels like the bottoms dropped. But once you begin feeling like yourself you'll realize that it isn't as bad as you once had thought. Your body's going crazy trying to adjust to these new changes so expect to feel a certain way, at least for the time being. Try not to focus so much on the feeling but on the moment. It'll be over before you know it. I wish you the best!

Here I am, a big tough guy and ashamed of the fact that today all I wanted to do is cry. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out from my surgery and I'm so sad. I don't really think it's from the loss of food or the change in lifestyle. I'm wondering if it's some kind of nutritional deficiency that's causing my depression. My stomach is queazy most of the day, I know I'm short on Water intake but I'm trying to get in at least 60gm of Protein and take my Vitamins. I'm not sure if anyone can relate to this, but this is also causing anxiety by my wondering if my depression will worsen of if I'll pull through this thing and the constant queeziness doesn't help. How long does it take to feel "normal" again? Has anyone else had these feelings?

Sorry for such a "downer" post but I know there are many wonderful people here that may have some advice.

I was reading something online, I don't remember where, that very low calorie diets are associated with depression, and it can be a side-effect of post-wls low calorie intake. If it gets too difficult, you may want to consider an Anti-depressant until your body finishes healing and you can eat a bit more.

Thank you all for your input. I'll do some research on the low cal diet and depression. About how far out will it be before I'll be able up my intake? Thank you all again for your advice.

<hugs> I'm sorry you are feeling down.

Have you talked to your doctor? I was feeling queasy all the time and was given and anti-nausea medicine which really helped. Could it be acid? Are you taking an anti-acid of some kind? This is a huge change and it is made harder when you don't feel well. Now that my acid and nausea is under control and I am feeling much better. Don't suffer!

Your body is going through so many changes, and hormonal ups and downs that feeling gloomy is pretty standard. Good news is that it will get better as the weeks progress.

As far as your nausea, dehydration can intensify nausea. I drank regular Gatorade for the increased electrolytes plus it tasted better than just plain Water. If you aren't taking a PPI, you might want to discuss this with your surgeon. I would get this weird, queasy twinge about an hour after eating, kind of like this weird hunger, and come to find out it was acid. Once I went on Prilosec, it made a huge difference in how I felt.

Hang in there, and know that things will improve.

Gonna second Tiff. Hydration must be your number one goal for these first few weeks. Your body can handle being deficient in everything else for short bursts of time but not fluids. Also, be patient! You just had MAJOR trauma done to your body. I think many of us expect a lot of ourselves quickly post op because the surgery was elective, but if you knew someone who had 80% of their tummy removed and had loads of anasthesia plus whatever meds you were sent home with you would anticipate that they would be exhausted, depressed, etc. You really will come around! You have loads of support here.

Anna

Thanks all for your support. I'll start getting more Water and try some Gatorade as Tiff suggested. Thanks Anna and others for all the encouragement. Just knowing that someone is here helps. Any suggestions on the time it takes for the surgery and my sheeve to just feel normal?

I'm still playing the "be patient" game too MrHopeful.... I still feel nauseous after eating and think I need a PPI, know I need more fluids, etc.... It's frustrating, and I think wannalise is right on.. we DO expect to bounce back way too soon and think everything's honky dory. I keep trying to cut myself a break too, but damn it is hard. I go back to work tomorrow, so at least I'll have something to do and get it off my mind. This is a great thread, thanks everyone... and I plan on talking to my doc. on Wed. at my appt. about getting something for acid/nausea.. and I'm going to try the gatorade too and try to get my fluids in. Hang in there newbies!! We're not alone!