Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi there!!! are there really gay people here?!?!?!?

Hi I am Sue and had sleeve surgery on 8/27/14 and so far so good. I live in STL with my wife (finally got married 2 years ago after 25 years together) our dog and cats. My weight has been up and down but I decided to do this before I had any real health issues. My wife has been super supportive and has even lost a few pounds because were not going out to eat and the food at home is a little boring right now. I'm 3 1/2 weeks in and am down about 17 pounds post-op (28 total). I need to exercise more but overall I am doing fine. Glad to have this forum to check in and get support from people who are doing the same thing.

Sue

Hi Everyone,

My name is Laura, I live in Denver, CO and my surgery gastric sleeve surgery is set for 10/20....very excited and a little nervous...but would love to talk, listen and share with other lgbt folks who are going or have gone through similar stuff!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Laura, I live in Denver, CO and my surgery gastric sleeve surgery is set for 10/20....very excited and a little nervous...but would love to talk, listen and share with other lgbt folks who are going or have gone through similar stuff!

Hi Laura! Judy from Lawrence, KS. I had my sleeve done on 6/4 when I was still living in Florida. My surgeon, Dr Robin Ache at Suncoast Bariatrics, was awesome. To date, I have lost almost 80 lbs and am no longer on BP meds. The surgery went smoothly. The biggest adjustment for me is understanding how little you can eat at a time. I have been through a 2 week plateau which is normal. Hard to believe you can plateau when you are eating 800-1000 calories a day! I got through it though. I started exercising at our local community center and loved it, especially when the weight started melting off. Just remember, this is a change for life. You can't go back like a lap bander can. You can do it!!!

Hi I am Sue and had sleeve surgery on 8/27/14 and so far so good. I live in STL with my wife (finally got married 2 years ago after 25 years together) our dog and cats. My weight has been up and down but I decided to do this before I had any real health issues. My wife has been super supportive and has even lost a few pounds because were not going out to eat and the food at home is a little boring right now. I'm 3 1/2 weeks in and am down about 17 pounds post-op (28 total). I need to exercise more but overall I am doing fine. Glad to have this forum to check in and get support from people who are doing the same thing.

Sue

Good job Sue!!! I agree about food not having the allure it once did. I am almost 4 months post op and I find I eat to live more that I live to eat now. It's all about the Protein now. I find it's easier to drink protein rich fluids than to eat protein. I'm addicted to Walgreens high Protein Shakes. 170 calories, 25 grams of protein and only 2 grams of sugar. It's my go-to when I'm busy or need to catch up on protein or fluids. So happy to hear your partner is so supportive. Mine is too, but tends to forget I can't eat like I used to so it can be hard when she wants to go out and I'm just not interested. Lol. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks Judy! Congrats on your success! Everything is ready to go! My doctor only requires a couple day of Clear Liquids before surgery which I'll start on Sat morning. Getting more excited...feel like I'm absorbing a ton of nutritional info right now...any advice for liquids that worked well for you? Thanks for the support!

I saw this and had to chime in...I'm not lgbt...but I hope everyone here feels welcome! If people don't like who you are because of your sexuality or even your choice to have wls, then maybe they aren't true friends/family.

I have had many people say this is the easy way out, but it is far from it!

Good luck and let me know how your surgery goes ????

Well Laura, the liquid days are always the toughest. broth always filled me up. sugar free Jello and lots of sugar free drinks except pop of course. I went to the dollar store and loaded up on different single serve drink mixes. After surgery you won't be too hungry anyway so looking for different options probably won't be a problem.

Welcome to the boards! Good luck on the insurance approval. Once your surgery is scheduled, time seems to fly by. Bariatric pal is full of wonderfully supportive people and is an amazing resource for almost any question or issue you may have. I hope you enjoy being here and find the support and knowledge you want and need.

Hello, my name is Jane and I'm a queer. I had not seen this forum until today. So nice to know we are here and, hopefully, willing to talk with one another. I am 6 weeks out and doing great. Oh, I live in San Diego.< /p>

Howdy to all of the new folks that have found the group! I am about 6 months out and doing great. The goal my doc and I agreed upon is only 40 lbs away and I couldn't be happier. If I can help any of the new folks in anyway please don't hesitate to ask. This site/forum has been a great resource for me so if I can help/support someone else that would be great. I certainly don't have all the answers and I am still fairly new but I will do what I can to support my WLS peeps! :-)

I joined today and found this forum today. I must be gay! My LGBTQ friends are the best! They have been so supportive and encouraging. I'd say they have been there for me more than my straight (and beautiful) friends. My surgeon and his crew have been very accepting as well. They all treated my partner the way she deserved to be treated. Glad I'm here!

Hello fellow travelers and LGBT Community. I've been on this site for awhile and just found this forum. Yes, I am gay, living in Texas... of all places. Not a native, moved here with my now husbear, from Wisconsin. I am a self payer, as being an ICU nurse, working in a hospital, my insurance sucks, and does not cover Bariatric Surgery. I will be traveling to Tijuana, Mexico on March 1. I have done my research, picked the right doctor and weighted the pro's and con's. I will be sleeved and looking forward to a healthier and more active me. My husbear has been supportive, although I will be going alone (long story), he might join me down there for my recovery.