Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30-40 grams of carbs??

Here's my situation. I'm already frustrated and getting disheartened. I was operated August 17. Post-op I lost give or take 20 lbs. To this date I've more than likely lost only about 5 lbs. My 3 week stall happened almost a month ago and I have yet to see the scale moving. This is beyond a stall. I'm beginning to think that I had this surgery just to lose 35 lbs.

I keep reading online that most readers are keeping to a strict eating schedule of 30gr of carbs, 60+ Protein, and between 600-800 calories per day. Can anybody out there please help me by giving me a run down of what exactly you eat to maintain such a low carb diet. I've been keeping track of my calories on myfitnesspal.com and I'm eating about 700-800 calories a day. My carbs usually range about 80-120 on any given day. And please keep in mind that it's not from sweets. Is my carb intake what's messing me up? I drink Protein shakes everyday and I've already started going to the gym. There really shouldn't be any reason on why I'm not losing the weight.

My boyfriend's telling me I shouldn't pay so much mind to it but I can't help it. I want to lose weight already...

Edited by Butrcupz622

My 3 week stall lasted ages, in the end I just gave up on weighing myself, my husband said the same, just continue to do what you're doing and wait a month at least to get weighed. I did and my overall results are good, and my surgeon was very happy w my weight loss. I'm a bit more than halfway to goal after 2 months, I have about 38 more pounds to lose. I too have a higher carb intake than most here, I track my intake on myfatsecret.com. My calories are between 800-1000 a day, carbs sometimes around 100. I am trying to reduce maybe to about 50 because I don't want to stall for such a long time again, but i still my need my carbs to function, look after 3 children(10 month old baby included) and go to the gym for a 1 hour cardio workout 4 times a week. I would try to reduce my carbs to about half if I were you, I'm working on that as well! As long as you continue with low calorie and exercise I think you'll start losing again regardless. I do eat the odd cookie, piece of toast, but mostly my carbs come from skimmed milk (which a drink a lot) I eat oatmeal some mornings, some fruit, and basically that. Good luck to you!

Hey girl. I am one of the peeps who carbs count is pretty low per my doc's instructions. My typical day's menu is Breakfast 1 large egg. Sometimes I can finish it sometimes not. snack 1 Protein shake. lunch is 1 string cheese. Snack I Protein Shake. dinner is 1/4 to 1/2 of a cup of refried Beans. Sometimes I will eat fresh green Beans with a little bit of lite butter. Plus I drink plenty of Water. As you can see my calories are low and carbs are really low. So far I have not had a stall. Grant you the last two weeks have been slower, but I have still lost weight. When I started my pre-op diet on Aug. 3 I was 304, now I am 245.

food to me now has no taste and is something I would rather not deal with it.:thumbup: I am hoping this gets better as I remember food being pretty tasty. :thumbup1:

Deb

Here's my situation. I'm already frustrated and getting disheartened. I was operated August 17. Post-op I lost give or take 20 lbs. To this date I've more than likely lost only about 5 lbs. My 3 week stall happened almost a month ago and I have yet to see the scale moving. This is beyond a stall. I'm beginning to think that I had this surgery just to lose 35 lbs.

I keep reading online that most readers are keeping to a strict eating schedule of 30gr of carbs, 60+ Protein, and between 600-800 calories per day. Can anybody out there please help me by giving me a run down of what exactly you eat to maintain such a low carb diet. I've been keeping track of my calories on myfitnesspal.com and I'm eating about 700-800 calories a day. My carbs usually range about 80-120 on any given day. And please keep in mind that it's not from sweets. Is my carb intake what's messing me up? I drink Protein shakes everyday and I've already started going to the gym. There really shouldn't be any reason on why I'm not losing the weight.

My boyfriend's telling me I shouldn't pay so much mind to it but I can't help it. I want to lose weight already...

Buttercup, I am at 3 weeks out. this is what I eat. dinner I may change it up a bit but not much. Protein Shakes really help! Good luck!

BKFST: string cheese: 60 cals, 1 carb, 8 protein

Mid AM: GNC Amp protein shake: 2 scoops 140 cals, 4 carbs, 30 protein

Mid AM: Soy light vanilla milk: 1/2 cup, 80 cals, 10 carbs, 6 protein

Lunch: Tofu (1 slice): 30cals, 0 carbs, 8 protein

Lunch: Oikos greek yogurt 1 tbsp. 8cals, 1carb, 1 protein

another Protein Drink same as Mid AM w/ soy milk

Dinner: 1/2 can canned chicken white meat, 60cals, 1carb, 13protein

This will give you 558 cals, 24 carbs, 97 protein (I know it high but you can adjust the shakes if you want.) Now I dont know if this is exactly right for you as I am adjusting as well. Hope it helps tho.

My carbs usually range about 80-120 on any given day. And please keep in mind that it's not from sweets. Is my carb intake what's messing me up? I drink Protein shakes everyday and I've already started going to the gym. There really shouldn't be any reason on why I'm not losing the weight. [/color]

Can you let us know what your carb count is made up of?

Mine tend to be hidden carbs - in Protein Shakes, cheese maybe a half slice of bread but not very often (and I use a large cookie cutter to cut out a large round which actually reduces the slice to half but still lets me get some bread with a poached egg).

I don't think your stall is unusual at all...... just perhaps cut back on your carbs and eventually when your body settles down you'll start shifting again.

maybe a half slice of bread but not very often (and I use a large cookie cutter to cut out a large round which actually reduces the slice to half but still lets me get some bread with a poached egg).

Clever... I like that a lot!!! :rolleyes:

Your carbs are definitely way high if you're trying to stick to a low carb diet...As chilo said...she does better having a moderate amount of carbs.

Most of us that doesn't work so well for...including me!

What are you eating in a day that's giving you so many carbs? I try to stay around 30g a day.

I recently had a 3 1/2 MONTH stall, what you think of that one???? Talk about frustrating. . . your not going to like to hear this but i maintain my carbs by being on Adkins Diet (very low carbs mine are usually 15- 20 carbs if that). . . yup a diet ! I follow it very strickly, it's so much easier to follow a diet with this TOOL we have been given. . .you have to watch what you eat and follow it carefully. . . i know, i know, "what we got this surgery to diet" . . . well it's just a tool, nothing more. . . just like a hammer, YOU need to used it to make it work. . . the sleeve is the same way, you don't work with it, it won't work. . . you have to watch your intake, measure and weigh, just like before, and of course exercise. . . good luck!

I think I'm in the minority on this site in that I don't care about my carb intake. Don't get me wrong, I'm not inhaling bags of Gummy bears or anything, but to offer an example, I just had a snack of a delicious ripe banana and when I have lunch in about 2 hours, I'll definitely have a few bites of rice or naan bread with my butter chicken. I will also most likely have more fruit later on in the day (probably try this Korean melon I bought the other day). I just try to make most of my carbs whole grain or fruit sources. I have lots of energy - I take 3 hours of dance classes in a row on Wednesdays! - and I have lost as much weight as other folks around my size who are watching carbs, and even more in some cases. I also eat quite a bit more calories. I haven't counted for a few weeks, but I'd estimate that I range between 1000 and 1200/day. Experiment with your food intake to find out what works for YOU in terms of weightloss and overall well-being. I could NEVER do the 30 grams of carb/day thing, my brain wouldn't function as well and I'd feel weak and cranky.

I'm trying to keep my carbs low -- I seem to be hitting around 50 carbs a day, but definitely getting at least 60 - 80 grams of Protein in -- my calories are really low too -- around 600 - 700 a day -- but I don't really want much more. I'm sure when my appetite increases, I'll be able to eat more protein. For now, I cram in as much protein as my little sleeve will tolerate :)

I don't want to burst any bubbles out there but low-carb is not the last word in VSG weight loss. I am extremely low carb, between 12-15 per day and I am barely losing a pound a week. I'm on 600 cals/70g Protein a day with 30 min cardio exercise a day and nothing. To say I am frustrated is an understatement. Before you ask, I am on only 600 cals a day per my surgeon's instructions. I have no idea what to do, I've contacted my surgeon but he has yet to get back to me.

I don't want to burst any bubbles out there but low-carb is not the last word in VSG weight loss. I am extremely low carb, between 12-15 per day and I am barely losing a pound a week. I'm on 600 cals/70g Protein a day with 30 min cardio exercise a day and nothing. To say I am frustrated is an understatement. Before you ask, I am on only 600 cals a day per my surgeon's instructions. I have no idea what to do, I've contacted my surgeon but he has yet to get back to me.

I had an opportunity to talk to a dietitian yesterday and I asked about low-carb vs. other low-calorie diets for weight loss and she said research has shown that low-carb is more effective in the short term, but at 6 months, the progress is the same whether you are low-carb or just watching your calories and eating healthy. Now, I wasn't asking her in the WLS context, but still, it's something I'd like to explore once my final exam is done tomorrow and I have more time.

GT, did you ever have your thyroid checked? My main ideas for you are either 1) starvation mode (eating too little and your metabolism slowing down to a halt to match) or 2) hypothyroidism. The first is easy to fix - just try to eat more. I eat 1000-1200 a day and am losing at a pretty quick rate. The 2nd would obviously involve a medical diagnosis.

Here are couple of weeks of food diaries for you to check out. I'm usually "around" 40g carbs per day and I try to always get at least 60g Protein. My dietician doesn't give a "set" carb limit, she just says to eat Protein first and I shouldn't have room for much more.

http://www.fatsecret.com/export/3588352/5A854/14879/week/food/FoodDiary_100927_foods.pdf

http://www.fatsecret.com/export/3588352/B0891/14886/week/food/FoodDiary_101004_foods.pdf

I had an opportunity to talk to a dietitian yesterday and I asked about low-carb vs. other low-calorie diets for weight loss and she said research has shown that low-carb is more effective in the short term, but at 6 months, the progress is the same whether you are low-carb or just watching your calories and eating healthy. Now, I wasn't asking her in the WLS context, but still, it's something I'd like to explore once my final exam is done tomorrow and I have more time.

GT, did you ever have your thyroid checked? My main ideas for you are either 1) starvation mode (eating too little and your metabolism slowing down to a halt to match) or 2) hypothyroidism. The first is easy to fix - just try to eat more. I eat 1000-1200 a day and am losing at a pretty quick rate. The 2nd would obviously involve a medical diagnosis.

I've been eating more, in the mid 700's, and it seemed to spur some loss, about a pound every day and a half. This morning was the first time in a week where there wasn't a pound loss so I'm going back to 600 for a few days. My carbs today are 10 grams