Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many days in hospital for vsg?

hi guys i get my surgery tommorrow :thumbup: i was under the impression that id be there 2-3 days and now when i talk to my dr office they said one day!!! yikes! is that ok? i have 3 small kids at home ages 6 years old-8months and i was relived that id be in the hospital because i know i was gonna get rest & in case i have complications. the guys told me my insurance (horizon blue croos blue shield) sees it as a lap band. as an ambulatory surgery. so please guys tell me the truth how many days did you stay? how did you feel after 24 hours?

Dee

Edited by blessedwithlove78
wrong spelling....

I checked in at the surgery center at 8:30 and was back in my hotel room by 4pm. It really didn't feel too soon for me and it was nice to have a comfy chair and king sized bed to spread out in and get cozy.

I was walking laps up and down the corridor at 5 but then, I didn't have a drain and catheter to deal with, just compression socks that rolled down to under my knee that made me hurt worse than the surgery!

I was sleeved two weeks ago today. The first night in the hospital was a little rough, but as soon as i woke up the next day i was ready to go home. albeit, i did not have 3 kids at home to contend with. do you have someone to help with the baby? 'cuz you will not be able to lift much weight for a while after the surgery. my doctor gave me the option of staying another day, but i definitely did not need it. i actually didn't need the pain meds after that first night either. (but i did take them once or twice at home just to help sleep through the night. good luck!

My surgery was 7:30 in the morning and by the next day at 6:00 pm I was home. I felt good in the hospital and when I got home. I hardly used my pain meds once I got home. GOOD LUCK WITH THE BABIES!!!!

Deb

I spent one night, but wish it was two. You will DEFINITELY need someone to take the lead with the kids for a couple of days so plan for that.

I was supposed to go home the following evening but I had a slight fever and threw up once so he kept me till next day as a precaution. I don't think I would want to leave the same day though, I think the next day is a good time.

hi guys i get my surgery tommorrow :thumbup: i was under the impression that id be there 2-3 days and now when i talk to my dr office they said one day!!! yikes! is that ok? i have 3 small kids at home ages 6 years old-8months and i was relived that id be in the hospital because i know i was gonna get rest & in case i have complications. the guys told me my insurance (horizon blue croos blue shield) sees it as a lap band. as an ambulatory surgery. so please guys tell me the truth how many days did you stay? how did you feel after 24 hours?

Talk with your Dr. and Hospital staff. I was told 1 day pre-op, but when 1 day was here, I didn't feel like I was quite ready to go home. I told that to the Dr. and she said "no worries, stay another day".

I think this will be one of those things that you'll have to play by ear... just make sure they're willing to "work with you" when the time/day comes.

Good luck!

I was told 2 full days so I'm going in on Monday and I'm telling my kids Mommy will be home on Wednesday. Do you think it's tramatic for kids not to have their mommy for that many days. Is anyone with children letting their kids come up to see them at the hospital?

Kim

Dee

At my support group meeting on Monday, there were 3 people there who had recently had the sleeve. One stayed 1 night, one stayed 2 nights, and the third stayed 5 nights, but had some complications. Good luck tomorrow!!!!