Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Twentysomething Bandsters

I am looking forward to getting my band more and more every day!

I have never been skinny, but I never weighed more than 145 until I moved to the USA fve and a half years ago. I have gained eighty pounds since moving here and it is killing me! I don't think I would ever get a TT or any plastic surgery though, I just want to be able to get around and do stuff like I used to. Just going for a walk is almost painful, it sucks. I feel like an old lady and I'm only 24!

I am really excited about the whole thing. I am an "operation junkie" - ie. I love watching surgeries etc. My mom thinks I'm crazy (she has been banded), but I found a video of a full lap-band procedure which made me feel even more confident about the whole thing. It really helped me a lot (I wouldn't recommend watching it if you are squeemish though), that and reading about all of your stories! I am glad that I joined this forum.

Anyway, there are my random thoughts for the day. Instead of thinking them to myself after reading the other posts, I'll share them today :confused:

1st am I the ONLY MARRIED 20 something in here?? lol I FEEL OLD!!! lol

Kristin, we have alot in common, (other that the kids) I am also in school but for nursing. And I love to scrapbook!!!!!!!!!!! its so freaken addicting, I also do photography.. we must compare pages and share ideas....

Ohh and hurry up and get married so I am not the only one here married... lol

A little about me (if you don't know!)...I'm 24 and am in my second year of law school at St. Mary's in San Antonio, TX. I'm originally from a little town in East Texas, Marshall. I got my lapband just over 3 months ago. And it was definately the best $11,000 I ever spent. Well, maybe my education will be worth it some day! LOL.

I'm engaged to my childhood sweetheart and we're planning to get married January 2, 2007. So I have to be in at least a size 12 by then. I'm in a 16 or 18 now so I think that's pretty realistic.

No children, other than my pekingese and 2 cats. Besides playing on www.lapbandtalk.com I am an avid scrapbooker (when I have time now!) and used to teach scrapbooking classes. That's about all there is!

Nope, I have been married since 17.

YEAHHHHH Im not alone... And you have a 9 year old... I can't wait till mine are old enough to fix their own drinks, go potty, clean up after them selves, ect... But then I know I will be like awww I miss them when they were little...

You have done awsome with your band.. Your starting weight was close to mine.. I feel like it is going to take forever for me to lose 100 lbs.. But I am ready to get started... Band date July 25th

Nice to meet cha...

YEAHHHHH Im not alone... And you have a 9 year old... I can't wait till mine are old enough to fix their own drinks, go potty, clean up after them selves, ect... But then I know I will be like awww I miss them when they were little...

You have done awsome with your band.. Your starting weight was close to mine.. I feel like it is going to take forever for me to lose 100 lbs.. But I am ready to get started... Band date July 25th

Nice to meet cha...

Yes, but by 9 they are starting puberty (at least mine is :cry) and boy oh boy! Is this a wild little ride! I do miss my "baby" but I like my big boy. He is fun to be with.

And thank you! This last 16 months has flown by... It felt like I would never get there, but now, looking back... It really has just flown.

Not too long to go till the 25th! I bet you can't wait! :clap2:

Not too long to go till the 25th! I bet you can't wait! :clap2:

Ohh boy I can't wait.. I swear when you are looking forward to something Time GOES SOOOOOO SLOWWWWW! lol

Hello...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................is anyone out there? Wheres all the 20somethings?

hi 20somethings! i'm a little late, but i showed up. i'm 27, live in new york city, borough of brooklyn. i am living alone for the first time in my life and i love it! among my friends, i'm known as the food girl bc i'm always having dinner parties etc. i haven't really told many friends about the surgery, but when people are stuffing their own faces i realize that they really don't pay attention to what you're eating. so far, the band has worked really well for me. i have lost 40 lbs so far and for low bmi i guess that's not bad in 7 mos. i definitely feel soooo much better. much more energy and more confidence. i'm glad someone started this thread it's nice to meet you all!

Hi everyone!

I'm 21 (about to be 22 in august) and going to be banded on July 5th... My mom's date is June 26th so we'll have each other for support until I go back to school.

I just graduated from Juilliard in May for vocal performance (I'm an opera singer) and am going to Manhattan School of Music for my Masters in late August. I'm about to get my first apartment in NYC ( I lived in the dorms for 4 years and had to eat cafeteria food) , so that's exciting!

I can't wait to get more attention from guys. I've always been told that I am pretty and an awesome girl, but nothing ever develops, so I've just put all my energy into my career. And its worked, I've really gone forward in my career, but my weight is also holding me back in that aspect of my life too. I bet you all thought opera singers were big girls, huh? Well that was in the early 1900's... now in our ever-growing culture, it is more important to look the part, rather than be able to sing the part. I can sing the part, but I never get the role. It seems funny to me- because when I was younger, I wanted to sing musical theater, but I never got that role because they said my voice was too mature and I should look into opera. ha. what a way to turn it all around back at me.

I was born in Mobile, Alabama and I was skinny. I roamed the streets and swung on trees and was VERY active. Then was I was 8, we moved to MD- my mom had a job transfer. When I was in elementary school in MD, the kids made fun of my Southern Accent, so I turned to food. I started my first real diet in 5th grade on WW and lost 25 pounds. At recess, kids threw sand in my hair and balls at my face, so I went inside during recess to sing in the chorus. That's where I began to get encouragement that I could sing and it was possible to sing. So I look at those years as a blessing and a curse because I am doing something I love but I'm in a body where I don't belong.

I've never felt fat, I can say that... I mean, I have only felt fat trying on clothes or when I am trying to date someone... when I have a crush on someone, I can really beat myself up... I have realized that I create such high expectations for the other person, that I really crash when they don't meet them or disappoint me. Then its back to food. But I lost weight when I went to college.. I lost 25 pounds, and then I started depo provera... and gained it back plus 20 pounds- plus my body shape has changed- i am more top-heavy now than before the depo. I had my last shot of depo in January because I know you need to be off of BC for your surgery.

Because I sing, I will never get a TT- my diaphram and other important stuff are down there and I can't take the time off for recovery. So I got an AB lounge and a Yoga ball and am going to work out constantly whenever I want to watch TV instead of sitting down. In fact, I think I am not going to even get a sofa in my new apartment. Maybe just the AB lounge and a bike or eliptical. But I AM GETTING a Breast lift, and implants and probably Lipo in my legs and arms. I want to wear a bikini in 2 years- that's my goal. and because I live in NYC, I'm going to get a bike to ride to go places.

But I still can't imagine being skinny... its going to be a fun journey! thanks for reading this amazingly long post! :o

:scared:lol Ok so I started a little early.. I am 28 and I have 3 children an 11-10 and a soon to be 2year old.. I have been married for 10 years but I have been with my hubby for almost 13 years..I was never really fat, even after I had my 2nd baby I managed to stay in size 13.. for me that wasnt big at all .. once I had my last baby I gained almost 65lbs!:faint: and thats what made me get the Band.. I am so glad I did it.. I am 2.5 months out and down a total of 31lbs:clap2:.. its hard for me because I have no time for myself.. now that my kids are on summer vacation all they want to do is eat!:hungry: :help: I'm always in the darn kitchen! anyway its nice to hear more about you all...

Wendy

Hey guys. I am brand new to this forum. I am one month shy of turning 25 and just had my Lap Band done May 31st. I have been overweight almost my whole life. I have never really enjoyed being big, but is all I have ever known. Now after one month out I have been hearing stories of peolpe who have lost 30+ pounds and I am a little discouraged. I have only lost about 15. I know that it will be a process, and I can't wait to get skinnier. But like some of you have said, I can hardly picture myself any different. This is going to be an interesting trip!

Sorry I don't have any pictures or goal charts up yet, I haven't messed around with things enough to know how to do it.:)

I am 26 and a school teacher, never married, no kids...not as active as I would like to be. I have been big pretty much since I was about 10 or 11, before that I was a normal-sized kid. I was about 230 when I graduated high school in 1998. Went up and down throughout college between 200-225. Got down as low as 165 back in 2002, but that was after some really bad things happened in my life and my health was not a priority...looked hot though :P , but I would never do those things to myself again. Graduated college at 222 and went to Italy looking decent, but fat. Since I started teaching 3 years ago I have steadily gained and grown more and more unhappy with my body...I was starting to feel physically uncomfortable and getting depressed. I started trying to get approved for my band in Janunary 2005 and began the insurance paperwork nightmare...never got anywhere...apparently 270 lbs on a 5'2" frame isn't obese enough :eek: . So I decided to take charge and self-pay and it was the best decision of my life.

I got my band on May 31st...so far I have lost exactly 15 lbs. since surgery and 5 lbs. pre-op for a total of 20. I was looking back at my doctor records that I collected when I was trying to get my insurance to pay (yeah right !! :) ) and I realized something...I am now back to my weight from a year ago...I have erased an entire year in 3 1/2 weeks!!

I am very motivated by the stories here on LBT..even the horror stories give me new fuel. I know that I could be doing even better if I could get my exercise and Water intake up where it should be...even so, I know this was the right thing to do and I can already see results.

Thank you to the original poster for starting this thread!!!

Congratulations and good luck to all of us!!! :clap2:

hello everyone. Well i'm 27 and married with a 5 yr old boy. I've been overweight for as long as i can remember. Everything leading up to my current size is all a blur.

One day i was 160 the next day i was 265.

That's me currently. It took alot for me to just decide to do it.

I'm going thru alot of psychological affects. Some times i wonder if i'm doing the right thing. I can't help but feel that i should be able to do it by myself without the help of surgery.

I know i've tried but i can't help think i'm stronger than this. My doctor keeps telling me that its genetics also so even if i try my hardest i may never lose the weight.

I feel that she is right but i'm having a hard time accepting that i'm "fat".

One day your a teenager and next thing you know you are married with a kid and weight 265.

WOW! I have no idea how that happened. Well enought rambling on about me.

I'm scared for my surgery too, July5forme! My surgery is also July 5th and my mom was banded today... It scared me watching her recover today... she was in pain and I could do nothing to help her. I am most concerned with the IV... I don't know why I'm freaking out so much.. I think I am getting some anxoity pills tomorrow from my surgeon. I have had at least 2 panic attacks about this surgery. ahh! I guess because it is my first surgery... so I'm just worried. I hope its all in vain.