Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am two weeks pot-op and had an egg with some cheese today.

I got some wicked heartburn. Is it safe to take chewable Rolaids or Tums?

:crying:

Check with your surgeon. It's been documented that the Calcium carbonate in Tums/Rolaids can cause some rebound heartburn. Just meaning, it might work temporarily, but you could get more reflux once the immediate relief wears off.

If you aren't on a PPI (Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, or Prevacid), not an H2 Blocker, but a true PPI, talk to your doc about getting on something. Our stomachs aren't used to being so tiny, and it's still producing the same amount of acid for our huge pre-op tummies.

Gaviscon works pretty good for immediate relief from what others have shared on here.

Our stomachs aren't used to being so tiny, and it's still producing the same amount of acid for our huge pre-op tummies.

You're so smart and experienced with this, I soooo hope you are right. I am constantly taking Prevacid and it does NOTHING. I used to work for a GI doc and I know from there all PPI's are basically the same we interchange them depending on insurance. I feel my knees are melting from constant heartburn. I called my doctor's office a couple days ago and again today and nobody calls me back, so I am hoping it goes away eventually.

I am constantly taking Prevacid and it does NOTHING. I used to work for a GI doc and I know from there all PPI's are basically the same we interchange them depending on insurance. I feel my knees are melting from constant heartburn.

Carrie, its funny how we are all different, I found the opposite. I was taking Nexium and it wasn't doing anything for me. I just switched to Prevacid24 OTC and am noticing a big difference/relief. During my research I did note that Nexium and Prevacid have different active ingredients. Maybe that's why one works for me and the other doesn't. I hope you are able to find something that works for you.

I've struggled with intense heartburn since day 1, but I was told it was gas.

However I took some Gaviscon liquid and ooh look, it's gone! That stuff is awesome. Going to my GP for advice tomorrow though because I don't think practically living on the stuff can be very good for me!

Hope you sort it out soon :) xx

Iam now 4 days post op and the heartburn and acid rflux is the hard part!!!! I purchased a bottle of prevacid today hoping it will end it all. When I opened the bottle I realized that they were capsule like pills. I've been crushing all of my other meds and I'm wondering will I need to crush the prevacid or can I take it whole???:scared0:

I was on Prevacid before and after surgery. (In fact, since the mid-nineties.) While he was digging around in my innards, my surgeon repaired my "small" hiatal hernia. Regardless, I had a couple of TERRIBLE days of heartburn a month or so after surgery. But generally, the PPI did the trick both before and after surgery.

Here's the news: a week ago (I'm 3.5 months post op) I had a tiring day and went to bed early... forgetting to take my Prevacid. I felt fine the next day, so I decided to skip it again. Well, I have gone the whole week now, and have only taken the Prevacid once. This gives me hope that at some point I may move past my reflux problem, even if it is not yet time!