Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved with lots of Complications

I was sleeved last Wed in Tijuanna Mexico, and the day after surgery, I was having so much pain they were not sure what was going on so they decided to take me under again for another surgery to see what was going on, turns out I had a leak and low hemoglobin so I had a blood transfusion. Well leak was fixed and then I ended up getting liquid in my lungs, which there is not much to do for that, I am finding it so tough to sit, lye down, just bending over to pick up something takes alot of effort out of me. I am wondering if anyone else felt this way at all after even if they did not have complications.

I have not even noticed any weight loss either which scares me quite a bit.

I am wondering if I did the right thing to have this surgery

Any thought?

I'm sorry you had complications, but at least they found out what was happening straight away and sorted out the leak. I'm sure you'll be fine now, just look after yourself a lot. I was in pain after my surgery, more than i had ever expected. I'm ussually really good with pain, had 3 C-sections and even those weren't as painful as my sleeve! So I can only imagine the pain if they had to go in twice! Don't worry about the weight loss for the time being, i was about 5 lbs heavier 3 days after surgery, it's just all the fluids and the general edema after surgery. Look after yourself and do exactly what the doctors tell you to do, that would be my advice. Good luck!

Hi Mom, I'm pre-surgery so I won't be of much help -- but I just wanted to say I'm thinking about you and hopeful for a quick road back to health.

:wave:

I am preop also - so no advice but just wanted to say I'm sending my thoughts & prayers your way for a quick recovery. Keep us posted~God bless..

I'm sure the "no weightloss" is related to the surgeries, transfusion, and the IV's that you were on. Glad to know they found and repaired the leak. Recovery was much more painful than I had planned for (even with no complications). Take it one day at a time ... you'll be amazed how much difference a few days will make.

Keep in touch!

Hang in there... take it slow. I am hoping for a quick recovery. Like chilo said ... excellent that they found the leak so quicklly and fixed it. Give your body a chance to heal and take care of yourself as you would a small child. :wave:

I'm so glad you are okay. Take it easy, right now is all about healing even with a normal Sleeve experience. You've had additional trauma with a second surgery and a longer hospitalization. So give your body a chance to heal and recover before you expect too much out of it.

I am so sorry to hear of your complications. You will be more sore than most sleeve patients because of having 2 surgeries. I had a leak, and the recovery is very draining. Your body has been through a lot, and you'll need to just rest, walk when you can, and try to get in all of your fluids. Staying hydrated is the most important aspect right now. You'll lose weight, but I'm thinking they've pumped you full of fluids, and with all the trauma your body will hold onto weight for awhile.

I had a horrific recovery that lasted 3 months, I'm not saying it will take you that long, but I do not regret this surgery one bit, and would endure my complications to live the life I have today. Hang in there, if you need anything, please contact me.

Sorry to hear you've had a rough ride - don't even worry about your weight at the moment, just concentrate on getting better.

I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time. Are you still in Mexico, or back at home? I would really focus on keeping hydrated and moving around, walking, as much as you can, all while not overdoing it physically (I see you have 2 kids, so I know how hard that is!)

I had a leak also, but is wasn't found for two weeks. And then had two further surgeries, 2 weeks in the hospital and 3 more months of a feeding tube. I also had Water in my lungs which did take alot of out me. Try to stay upright as much as possible, versus laying in bed. walk as much as is comfortable.

I am so glad they found your leak quickly and were able to repair it. I questioned my surgery for a long long time. I did not lose any weight till over a month out from my original surgery (like other mentioned, fluids, transfusion, etc, your body needs time to figure out what is going on). I have now lost 94 pounds and feel awesome. I still have trouble reconciling my surgery, but not because of any suffering on my part, just because it was a dark time for my family and we needed a lot of assistance for months on end (3 kids under 5 years). Hopefully you will now recover quickly and be up and on your way in just a couple weeks. I will be praying for you and your family. (Hugs)

I am so sorry. I hope you have excellent care here in the states and that you will recover fast and well.....may God Bless You and your family