Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I'm bored I eat... Oh wait I can't..

I, like a lot of people, when I get bored I want to eat something. Now that I can't do that I find myself less and less bored. Instead of eating I seem to be changing my habit to simply get busy. LoL why didn't I think of "if you eat when your bored, then dint let yourself get bored" before? I'm finding myself being more active, happy, and even social! Has anyone else started to see positive changes in some habits that you can't do anymore?

Edited by mellifrits

I'm a boredom eater, as well (and an emotional eater....really, just give me an occasion to eat and I will :frown1:). Good to hear that this can be resolved naturally. School's not starting for another 2 weeks and my boyfriend's out of town for almost as long, so I've been worried about that a bit. I think I might have to pick up knitting again - definitely for the remaining 7 days of Clear Liquids, which is about as boring as it gets!

I let myself get too full one time (from four chicken nuggets mind you) and that is all it took for me to never want to do it again. So now that negitive feeling of pain goes hand-in-hand with over eating. So now when I think about eating more my flash back changes my mind real fast and I do something else to get away from being bored.

Happy dance for pre op diet getting you one step closer to your new life. I know it is hard now but when you look back it is all going to be worth it!! Keep us updated!!

It's still a tiny struggle for me. I don't actually eat anything, but I find myself peering in the fridge and don't remember walking there. Those old habits are really ingrained.

I'm also thinking about digging out my knitting supplies and starting some new projects. I used to read in all of my free time, but I also used to snack while I read. Now I sip Water when I read but sometimes I still find myself staring into the fridge like it has answers for me. So far it's easy to stop and realize I'm not actually hungry. I'm just worried that if I don't break the habit soon, it won't always be so easy.

My husband has been out of town this entire week and I've done really well occupying my time with something other than food.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that had to deal with this, and it's good to see that you're overcoming. Hopefully I can, too.

I suppose the real test will be my first period post op - will I have the urge to do the binge fest I usually do, or will it be just another week?

~Cheri

I do understand that feeling of why am I looking for something to eat? But it is so empowering to me that Im able to say, "Why am I looking for food? " and then walk away to do something else. I never seemed have that full feeling before..

My Nut likes me to have several 'small' meals/snacks a day... so I find I am eating more times than I did before the op, but obviously so much less in quantity - which for me is really weird, as you associate it with not eating much.

I've not been hungry since the op - any rumblings I have I think are just acid...so I have to keep reminding myself this is a good, different thing I am going thru. Weird!! LOL

Knitting is seriously the way to go, during my 3 weeks of healing/vacation after the surgery I picked up knitting again and made a baby blanket for a friend that is expecting. It was wonderfully zen, the movement and click of the needles, seeing my work grow in front of me, getting into that zone of "just one more row" instead of "just one more cookie". =) Plus it gave a rhythm to my sips, every two rows I would take a mouthful and swallow it slowly over the course of the following row. Maybe I'll post pics of the baby blanket here before I give it to her, "blankey- brought to you by VSG". =)

Happy dance for pre op diet getting you one step closer to your new life. I know it is hard now but when you look back it is all going to be worth it!! Keep us updated!!

It's already post-op, actually.:thumbup1:

Now I sip Water when I read but sometimes I still find myself staring into the fridge like it has answers for me.

I live alone, so I took advantage of it and have thrown out/given away to friends all the stuff I can't have for the next few weeks. That way, nothing's looming in front of my eyes. So far it seems reasonably easy to resist temptation, since the fear of having a leak is quite pronounced at this stage post-op, but we'll see how I feel 20 days out.

I was having that very thought just the other day. I was getting ready to go shopping for some smaller pant (always a fun part of this journey), and I realized that I had not stopped to eat lunch and it was after 2:00. Prior to this I would have in all likelihood been planning my lunch within an hour of Breakfast ending. It has only been a little over three months and my lifestyle has already seen signifigant changes. These were changes I knew I should have made before, but for whatever reason could not. I feel energized in general every day, and I think alot of it comes from finally feeling empowered where my body is concerned for the first time in my life!