Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG!!! 5 days before I'm "sleeved"!!!

So many thoughts and quesions racing through my mind. Am I doing the right thing? What will happen when I'm thinner? Does this mean all the "if onlys" will happen? Like...

I'd ride bikes with my family if only my knees didn't hurt as much and I wasn't out of breath...

I'd be happier and more confident if only I could lose the weight...

I'd have a better chance at a promotion if only I were thinner...

I won't need a seat belt extension when flying, if only I could lose the weight

I can fit in a roller coaster seat, if only I'd loose some weight

I wouldn't be so b_tchy and yell at my kids, if only I were happier with myself because I lost weight.

Will there be complications? Is this really safe? What will my body look like after I lose the weight? Will I need plastic surgery? How expensive will that be? Will I be able to keep any food down, will I vomit and break open staples? Will I have enough energy to go back to work? Will I be able to stay on the liquid diet for 5 more days?

Nervous in Nashville - Melinda

Surgery date: 8/16/10

Starting BMI: 45

Surgeon: Dr Lynch

Sanity level: questionable

GOOD LUCK!

I'm sure you will do great! I still have almost a month till my sleeve and I have the same worries when I'm sitting around thinking about it. I also worry I will be the one person this surgery doesn't work for somehow. :crying:

On the vomiting thing, I was throwing up and/or dry heaving continuously for two days post-op (I've never taken well to general anesthesia), and it didn't damage me a bit.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

Make sure you read the forum in the post op forum that is always on the top that talks about depression after wls. Sometimes when we have if onlys and we get those if onlys we just come up with new ones. I'm not saying you are depressed or that you will be but just make sure to read up on it.

On the note of getting sick I did have alot of dry heaving but as weird this sounds I was dry heaving gas. Make sure to take gas-x strips with you. They are how I got the dry heaving continuously to stop. As soon as I felt the pain coming back I would take one. Also make sure to take a heating pad with you. You will have gas pains and the heating pad really helps with them.

When it comes to going back to work it is really up to you on how fast you will be ready. The more you walk the faster you will feel better. You won't feel like walking BUT DO IT ANYWAYS!! The more you walk the faster the gas will move out of you. Most of your pain will come from the gas they put in you.

On eating post op, I know right now this sounds crazy but you will have to force yourself to drink something let alone worry about food. The only reason I drank something finally after two days is only due to them saying they would not let me go home until I did. After a few days I tried brooth but that was only due to the fact I was told something warm helps with the morning pain which is very very true!!!

And finally about your pre diet. You can do this! If you don't with it and don't make your liver smaller then you can run into the problem of them bumping your liver while in surgery. If that happens then that means more pain and it slows down your healing time. I know you don't want that! I don't mean to scare you too much but fear is what kept me on track with my pre-diet.

PS I'm writting you on my Iphone so if there is a mistype Im very sorry!

Edited by mellifrits

I'm so excited for you yayyyyy! Keep us updated :-)

Melinda.... I feel you. I will be going to sleeveland on Tuesday.

All of the fears, all of the emotions ARE NORMAL. THIS IS LIFE CHANGING YOU ARE GOING TO BE SECOND GUESSING YOUSELF. Right now you have to focus on the positive things. You will be ALRIGHT.

Please keep us updated with your progress.

Deb

Hang in there. I've been there too. Guess what, I'd do it again! , My knees and ankles have stopped hurting. Those tinglings in my toes and fingers signaling oncoming diabetes are gone. I've turned down the pressures on my cpap. I dragged out pants and shirts I haven't worn in 2 years. And yes, everyone at work is commenting on how good I look, face is thinner, look younger, etc...I'm only 5 weeks out!!!

Found your answer yet? Keep reading the forums, that's what I did. I got good answers from a lot of folks too.