Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

shoulder pain...and fills

I was banded March 2006. The worst complaint I have is left shoulder pain. It took around 3 months to finally subside but then I got my first fill. That same day my left shoulder pain returned. Has anyone else experienced this (shoulder pain with fills)? I don't want to get an unfill but I am questioning how long I can put up with the shoulder pain...sometimes it brings me to tears it hurts so bad.

You should being this to your MD's attention. It's not normal to have sustained shoulder pain like you describe.

I'm almost 9 months out of surgery and I've had 5 fills.......I still get the pain in my left shoulder, which makes me cranky.... It's funny, I only get it when I've eaten something that I shouldn't.....like last night, I ate cheesecake and had shoulder pain (you'd think I'd learn). I don't know what causes it, and I have mentioned it to my doctor....he was not concerned.....but I don't think it has anything to do with fills, my last fill was 1/25/06.

I get these shoulder pains too - my doctor has no idea why I get them - he says only one other patient complains of it - lucky us, huh? A few things I've noticed: it gets especially bad if I wait to eat. Meaning, I start feeling hungry around 11:30, but don't eat right away. I will definitely get the shoulder pain if I don't eat quickly! Same thing if I overeat - definite pain. Sometimes I believe it is gas pain, and this is something my husband noticed first: I bent over to pick something off the floor while in the middle of the pain and I burped - which instantly made me feel much better. Makes no sense, but there it is! Also, when especially bad, I lie on my left side and feel some relief. Again, no explanations as to why it works, but it seems to. Good luck!

yes, I have shoulder pains...I have found that taking gas x before a fill helps relieve the pain...and also...I take the gas x when the pain starts.....patricia

For me taking gas x does not help the shoulder pain at all! About the only thing that helps is rubbing it, its like the pain is under my collar bone.

I have been trying to pay close attention to what triggers it. It seems to hurt worse in the morning and afternoon which is also when I feel the most restriction. I have noticed laying on my left side makes it go away or ease it at least. I don't think it has anything to do with gas pains, taking gas-x does nothing to relieve it. Also when I rub my shoulder it does feel better for a few minutes....very weird. The kicker is I told my Doctor about it and his response was..."It is not related to your surgery, you must of injured your shoulder doing something else." I sat there a minute dumbfounded because so many I've talked to complain of shoulder pain after banding. How could he not know that?

:clap2: I am so glad I found this thread!!! I was so worried. I have left shoulder pain only after I eat!!! maybe over eat!!:kiss .. It started after the surg and my first fill. I feel better when I burp though! I used the Gas X and I couldnt tell the diff!! I hope its nothing serious!!

Kimmy

banded 4-25-06

dr Spiegel-houston

It's weird how we all have different experiences. I get shoulder pain when I eat too much or too fast :).

I had quite severe shoulder pain for a whole week after surgery. It was not gas and I had chiropractic adjustments to my neck and thoracic area, so that was clear. It could only pain referred from the stomach. The same way a heart attack can present with shoulder pain, other structures close by can give the same referred pain pattern. I know people who have esophogeal spasms that get the same kind of pain. To my thinking, those of us who have this could likely get the same kind of pain when we irritate the band or pouch in any way whether by a fill or eating something irritating. I've yet to have a fill so I'm not sure how that's going to go, however I did get the pain yesterday when I had a really icy drink.

Devana

I had a bout of shoulder pain for a week. I believe it was referred pain from my diaphram. I would recommend a natural anti-inflammatory, such as tumeric, three times a day mixed into warm milk (half a teaspoon will do). Something is irritated and inflamed inside and since we can't take ibuprofen, I've turned to homeopathic/herbal remedies, which help alot. Good luck!

I have had the shoulder pain off and on since surgery. I discovered it is really bad when I overeat. I've also noticed I start getting twinges when I'm eating. Maybe this is my "full" signal. I just got back from lunch and had a thick Soup. Shoulder pain big time. I get a fill tomorrow so I'll see if that causes it as well. I use a heating pad and wrap it around my left shoulder front and back and lay on it. I have noticed that after that I have gas. Some say it is gas, others say it is nerve damage during surgery. I don't know what it is but it is definitely related to the band and eating.

I get it occasionally as well and I take gas-x. It seems to help so I think for some reason that it's gas. I just don't know why it goes there??? My surgeon explained the shoulder pain after surgery could last up to 6 weeks but I have been banded since Nov. so what gives??

I know for sure that if I have anythong carbonated, my shoulder is going to act up.