Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slipped band too

Pat, .......You had a very unfortunate experiece. I am glad your doing better. I had my slipped band in a US hospital with a Doc that had done over 2000 gastric surgeries so I doubt the mexico experience had anything to do with it. Sometimes it just happens. I don't think they give us enough information on fill complications pre-op. This is the place I hear about it, not in the literature. Again, So sorry!

Oh my god, Pachoulli, I can't believe this happened to you. I am so, so very sorry. :-(

You were banded not long before me.

It did...I am sure that a lot more problems happen than we know. I never found a site like this before I had my band placement, although I don't know if it would have deterred me or not. The really sick part is that a part of me is considering having another one put in[ even though I have acid still coming up my throat to the point that it is actually burnt]. I was told I would have to wait a year by a colleague of my surgeon befor even considering another band..... The funny part is that I went to 2 ER's the night that the trouble started. The first one I sat in a cubicle for 3 hours vomiting blood in a bath basin, THe doctor finally came in and told me she would not access the port because she didn't know anything about it. I left and went to the other ER where I was ultimately admitted and operated on, but the first ER just sent me a bill for $365, and the ER doctor[which is separate], was $569. I called the hospital and spoke to the risk manager, he said that after hearing my story[i truly was in agony and emptied my own blood out of the basin because no nurse came in] said that he would take care of it...we will see....I wrote a letter to the MD billing dept. I am not paying either one of these bills, but I plan to put all in writing and keep copies. I was treated like a drug seeking fiend, I even asked the first ER to get me a huber needle, I would do it myself[i'm an RN and know how to access ports]....It was the worst week of my life. On the brighter side, I am here, doing better, and spent today with my beautiful 7 month old grandson for swimming lessons[He did better than all the other kids[: } Marian.....

I was banded a year ago in March. I have lost 70-80 pounds. I am very grateful but it's been a very tough road for me. I know that if the band is removed I'll go back to my old self. It may take a year or two but eventually it will sneak back on me like always. I am afraid if I keep the band it will just continue to cause me problems and not to mention more money. I mean, I couldn't even afford the surgery in the first place and I have nothing else to offer, I can't imagine if I have to pay to fix this and it happens again! I have lost the weight and I do feel better physically and mentally and I don't want to gain it back but the "what ifs" are scary. Here are some questions I have...

What is the percentage rate for another slippage after repaired? I have heard once you have slipped your odds are much higher.

Did you pay for your repair and if so how much?

Has anyone heard of insurance covering the cost of an repair if they wouldn't cover the original surgery?

I am pregnant and can't have my band repaired at this time. Has anyone heard of any bad complications for waiting to have the surgery? I am afraid by leaving the band like it is will cause worse damage, but for the safety of my baby I would rather wait. (the doctors would rather wait too)

I am trying to go over the causes of slippage...too tight, throwing up, sodas, ....these come to mind. What are some other reasons for slippage? What if none of these applied to me?

Do you wish you had another surgery? I used to be one of those who would never consider the gastric bybass but now I am not so sure. Of course if my band can't be fixed I can't afford another surgery period.

During your period does your band get really tight? Isn't this the weirdest thing!? I can't remember if this happened before the slippage or after but now around that time each month I get so tight its very painful and of course can't eat or drink much at all.

Are slippage rates higher for those who travel outside of America?

Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks for your time.

Kashia

:help:

Kashia: Please read my new thread: band slippage, acid reflux complication. I was thinking alot about you when I wrote it. Hang in there~ Bullit 143

Marian, wow what story. I just said to my husband last night, that even after all the problems, pain and suffering there is a big part of me that doesn't want to lose my band. Then I think "Oh to feel normal" again!! However "normal" will jsut lead to getting fatter and fatter and I don't want that. It will seem all a big waist of time, money, pain if I have to take it out. We have to pay on a second mortgage for what nothing. I just keep praying that God will preform a miracle. I know that leaving my band the way it is can't be good. My pouch is probably huge now and the scare tissue probably grows each day. I can only pray when I go back and pay another 4,000 that they can fix it and this NEVER happens again!!! keep in touch let me know if you decide to do it again. Who did your surgery> are they willing to give you a discount if you go back for another one.

I am still up in the air if I would get another band placed. I hate being overweight. Wish I could accept it, but I can't. I am grateful for being good looking fat or thin, I prefer thin. I don't know if the doc that did it the first time would give me a discount. I do know I wouldn't hesitate going back to him though, even if he was in Mexico. My problem was caused by a fill HERE....I have even considered by pass but am way too much of a chicken to do it, and those people have irreversible problems. Good luck...Marian