Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumb questions still need answers! LOL

:001_tongue:Please don't mind me if I sound ignorant....I honestly don't mean to....but here are some concerns I have:

1) Anyone from AZ go to Mexico lately? I am a bit concerned about even attempting it given the whole sb1070 thing.

2) doesn't eating or drinking anything in mexico make you sick (which wouldn't be good if you have surgery!)

3) are the costs you mention here ALL ALL ALL inclusive? start to finish? like....hotel, surgical, hospital, anesthesia, etc. ALL as in ALL?

4) Do you have to go there alone or can someone come with you (if so, does the hotel cost rise? or can it be like a double occupancy thing? I realize that person's food and such would not be part of the ALL inclusive mentioned in #4 above).

5) If you are TERRIFIED to drive into mexico, and you live in AZ like me and WON'T fly ...what should you do? Where should you go to get transportation across the border if you were going w/ Aceves? Where in AZ would you park your vehicle for overnight (several nights?) I've never been to Mexico and don't know how this works!

I'm just trying to figure out how to have VSG if I can't get approved for it. I've been thru the wringer just trying to get banded, and I haven't had surgery yet and I'm just thinking what if this is all a sign I shouldn't have the band?????

Other than being seriously broke and trying to figure out how to pay for it...well, I'd still like the preliminary info.

Honey, never think your questions are dumb, they are very very valid questions. . .the only dumb question is the one not asked. . . so ask away. . . i can't answer your question regarding Mexico, I had my VSG done here in Texas. I'm sure there are others who could answer your questions much better. . . I just wanted to say hi and good luck!

I agree there are no dumb questions, and I would amost guarantee there is someone else that would like to know the answers to your questions. I know if I was going to Mexico I would. I used to live in San Diego, and it scared me to death to go to Mexico. I lived there for 3 years and only went twice.

Look at he band/sleeve revision threads--that should help you decide which surgery.

Northern Mexico is a dangerous place to go right now. Get in and get out as fast as you can.

Ask your bariatric program about costs/hotel. People who have gone to Mexico will probably give you more details. Wish I could help more.

You park your car in a triple A parking lot. Dr. Aceves driver picks you up there and he drives

you across the border. Dr. Aceves price includes everything. The hotel, all tests, etc You can bring someone with you and there is no extra charge. They can stay with you at the hotel, and there is a big comfy couch so they can stay in your room with you too. Dr. Aceves staff is very good about answering questions so just call them! The whole process is very easy and they are extremely helpful to go out of their way to accomadate you.

If you are going via Nogales, you can park in Nogales, AZ fairly close to the Nogales, Mexico border. But how were you planning to get to the facility and hotel if you park? I've been to Nogales several times, though I wouldn't go NOW...

But I would definately ask you surgeon about all of these questions. If they can't make you feel secure with the answers...well...that may be an indication of other things to come. (maybe, I don't know)

My surgery was done in Tucson at Northwest Hospital, BUT...my insurance paid for it. I do have a friend who went to the same hospital with the same surgeon and was self-pay.

I wouldn't be too worried about the SB thing on the American side...just the Mexico side. That's why we have the whole SB thing anyway, because of all the problems with the ranchers and all close to the border. But you live in AZ...you already know the inside story that those that don't live here don't.

Just try to get your answers, and enjoy your new life that is about to come...and it IS a new life.

I had my surgery in Mexicali. If you google Mexicali you'll see that it has a crime rate about the same as Witchita. I didn't seem scary to me while I was there (I've been all over the world and visited places that I would really consider scary). You're well taken care of on the drive, at the hotel, and in the hospital.

And I drank bottle Water and didn't use tap Water to brush my teeth. I ate at the hotel and didn't get sick at all. Wish I could say the same of other places I've been to.

Sounds like you are pretty worried about getting sick there. Why don't you get a Hep A/B vaccination before you go to calm your nerves. It's a good vaccination to have anywhere. Just be aware that it takes 3 or 6 months (depending on your vaccine protocol) to complete the vaccination cycle (3 shots).

Hey! Glad you are gonna get the sleeve!!! You will love it. I was a band to sleeve revision. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1). I go over the border frequently to have medical care done. I have never felt unsafe. I can't tell you how many times I've been to Mexicali. I'd rather go there than Los Angeles or some of the other places around here.

2) You get bottled Water in the hospital and the hotel. In the hotel, I ate the food no problems. The hotel you will stay at if you go to Mexicali is full of international travellers. It is nicer than alot of the hotels here in AZ. When I was there there was a convention of people in Agriculture. Most of the people were from the U.S. and Canada. Lots of nice eye candy with the guys in their tight jeans, cowboy boots, etc!!!!! I may be old but can still look!!!!!

3) The price you get for surgery is indeed, all inclusive. I even went back for my 3 month checkup. Being seen by the surgeon, having all the labs, and the follow up x ray was only $70.00. I have excellent insurance but would have paid alot more than that to have my follow up done here in AZ for my co-pay.

4) You can have someone go with you. My mom and a bunch of friends went the day of surgery. Mom was with me overnight and got bored so I sent her home with some more friends who came the morning after my surgery. There is a sofa that makes into a bed in your room at the hospital. Mom said it was quite comfortable. I got quite a kick out of Dr. Aceves. He is the one who made the sofa into the bed for Mom to sleep in the night she was with me. She kept me awake with her snoring. I asked her in the morning if she was comfortable. She said she was. I didn't tell her it sure sounded like she was!!! I can't imagine any of the surgeons here in the U.S. that would help make a bed up for a patient's family. Dr. Aceves is a wonderful human being.

5) I feel very safe driving into Mexicali. Just get the insurance that is available everywhere for your car. If you don't want to drive, just make arrangements with Nina at Dr. Aceves office to be picked up at the AAA parking lot. It is a secured parking lot right at the entrance to Mexico. Someone from Aceves office will pick you up at the parking lot. The parking lot is very easy to find.

I will just close with the fact that Mexicali is wonderful. Once you get across the border and a few blocks into the city itself. You can't really tell you are in Mexico. Just looks like you are in Phoenix or San Diego. I have walked around for hours and never been bothered by anyone. I left my purse with everything in it in my hospital room and never once felt unconfortable leaving my room to go for walks inside and outside the hospital during my recovery. Nothing was ever taken or disturbed in my room.

Many people in Yuma, El Centro, etc live here in the US and cross over into Mexicali daily to work. One of my best friends is a plant manager for BOSE electronics. Lives here in Yuma. His kids play ball and they travel frequently to Mexicali to play baseball with kids teams over there. Most of the crap you see on the news and in the newspaper is written by people who have never set foot into Mexicail.

Anyway.... Good luck in finding/figuring out what you are gonna do. Getting the sleeve is the best think I've ever done for myself!!!!:thumbup1:

Thanks, all, for your information. If my insurance won't cover the sleeve (and I can raise the capital!) I will definitely be going to Mexicali to have Dr. Aceves sleeve me!

I've been poring over everything I can find on these boards and elsewhere on the net and I have yet to see a bad word about him!

I doubt if you ever will be able to find a bad word about him. He is wonderful and they treat you like you are a princess there.

I walked all over the place outside the hospital too, and never felt unsafe. The people I saw were friendly and said hello. I loved being there!