Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm finally in Mexicali

Such an exciting story. I hope mine goes as well next week in TX!

Thanks for posting such a detailed account - helps those of us who are heading there soon!

1 Day Post-Op

Today Dr. Aceves came to see me about 630am and gave me some Water. Yesterday wasn't so bad with not drinking because I got to rinse out my mouth frequently and the IV kept me hydrated. About 30mins ago a nurse bought me 4medicine cups of dark liquid (looks and tastes a bit like unsweetened grapejuice). I got just a little nauseaus after the first cup. Nothing came up but my mouth got real watery so I just spit that out. Starting on the second cup now. This is the second leak test. I have a drain and I keep checking it to see if any blue/purple stuff comes out! Nothing so far. I still haven't needed any pain meds but I did feel a little gas moving around. I think this drain is allowing it to escape as well. All is good today. :-)

I love your updates! I am planning on using Dr Aceves too so it's great to hear what it might be like.

Oh my goodness, Skye. In exactly 2 weeks I will be where you are! I am scheduled for 8-12-10 in Mexicali with Dr. Aceves, of course. When I think about it like that, I get a little nervous. I am having knee surgery tomorrow, and I am a little concerned about being under anesthetic 2 times in 2 weeks, but my ortho doc said he thought I would be fine. My daughter, nurse_ally (Allison), was sleeved on 7-1-10 and she is doing very well.

I am glad you are doing so well. I will keep watching this thread to follow your progress.

So glad you are OK!! I'll be there in 2 weeks!! Thanks so much for the update....I just hope I don't feel like I can't breathe...YIKES

A

Then they ace wrapped my legs and gave me something that really burned going into my IV put the mask on and at first I told them I couldn't breathe but I could feel my self drifting already from the IV med (scary because I didn't know if they heard me). They quickly took the mask off hit a button, replaced it and I didn't even have to countdown because I was already waking up asking if everything was ok (in a very raspy voice).

Yikes this part does sound scary!! :)

I love your updates, LapGirl! When I got my surgery done, I don't remember ANYTHING after taking the first medicine they gave me. So it's kinda interesting that you can tell me what happened! The lack of "pain" is amazing, isn't it? I did have a dull aching, but no real pain with the spinal. I'm so glad everything went smoothly. I'll be watching for your next post!

Hey all! I didn't mean to freak anyone out about the anesthesia part. If the Versed had worked for me I wouldn't have remembered any of it. Now that I'm on the other side, it wasn't that bad. The person I am here with doesn't even remember being wheeled from her room to the OR so that goes to show that everyone's experience is different!

Well yesterday evening I started getting some bad gas pain. My IV was hurting and I just overall wasn't feeling well. My temp was slightly elevated as well. I must admit I was having a bit of "what did I just do to myself" anxiety. I was given supradol which is a pain med and one more IV med to bring down my temp. Then they took my IV out since it was irritating me. Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos came to see me last night and saw that I wasn't feeling to well. They assured me this was normal for the day after surgery and that I would feel better today. Guess what? They were right. I slept well last night and this morning I woke with a burst of energy and absolutely no pain.

I am a little sore where the drain is but that is coming out after they do the last leak test in a little bit. I am sipping on Water and walking around a lot. The only thing is my room is so cold. I keep asking for blankets and for the them to turn down the AC. It's really hot here so I guess they want to make sure I'm comfortable.

I just took a walk outside and that felt good. My voice is still hoarse. I love the staff but I can't wait to go home tomorrow! :-)

Sounds like you are doing really well. You'll be home before you know it. Take care.

Thats greatness, keep up the good work. and congrats on the new you

I checked out your video of stuff you bought to drink. It was cool to be able to see you in the video...now I really feel I know you! Glad today you're feeling better. Tell how us your trip home goes!

Skye,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll be flying out on 08-26 for surgery on the 27th and I am 100% terrified of the epidural.

I had the epidural when I gave birth and it was the most awful experience of my life....yes, the circumstances are different, but my belly is just as big (for other reasons of course lol) as it was almost 10 years ago!!! For whatever reason, them poking around in my spine made me vomit and I was shaking terribly WHILE contracting and all I hear in the backgroud is "You are going to have to stay still!!" Like I could help it.... I could have slapped that doc....

I was feeling a little better about it because everyone else who I have spoken with who went to Dr. Aceves said that they were out when it was done....until your story!! AGH!!! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the honesty so I know what to expect! :confused1:

I'm glad you are feeling great and I can't wait to join you on the looser's bench!!

Skye,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll be flying out on 08-26 for surgery on the 27th and I am 100% terrified of the epidural.

I had the epidural when I gave birth and it was the most awful experience of my life....yes, the circumstances are different, but my belly is just as big (for other reasons of course lol) as it was almost 10 years ago!!! For whatever reason, them poking around in my spine made me vomit and I was shaking terribly WHILE contracting and all I hear in the backgroud is "You are going to have to stay still!!" Like I could help it.... I could have slapped that doc....

I was feeling a little better about it because everyone else who I have spoken with who went to Dr. Aceves said that they were out when it was done....until your story!! AGH!!! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the honesty so I know what to expect! :confused1:

I'm glad you are feeling great and I can't wait to join you on the looser's bench!!

Hi You can refuse the epidural and request a medicine ball containing morphine, thats what my aunt did. She did great. I had the epidural and wished I had done what she did. Good luck