Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First off, I just want to say how wonderful a forum like this is. Everyone is so supportive.

I am Lisa, I am 40 year old who weighs 306 pounds. (That looks awful, over 300+ and I am admitting it, I guess I am in fat denial or something :blush:) I have been married for 11 years and have a 5 year old son.

I have been visiting this site for a little while now and finally have decided to get this ball rolling.

I go tomorrow to a seminar. I live in a small rural town and they do not offer WLS so I have to travel about 1 1/2 hours away to have the surgery.

I have been contemplating WLS for a while and finally came to realization that my weight is not getting any better, in fact worse. I have comorbid conditions of diabetes, hypertension, and obstructive sleep apnea and I also have asthma.

I do have the support of my husband with this, but my family is not so much on target along with some of my friends. I don't know what to think about that. I am glad though I have talked my husband in to going with me to the seminar so he knows what I will be up against.

I have Federal BCBS and hope that the approval process goes fast. I am so excited about this, but then again I am very nervous, which is pretty normal I think. I really think that is going to give me the fighting chance I need to get this weight off. I am so sick of being tired, hurting and etc.... One of the most important reasons why I am doing this is that my mother and father both died too young, my father died when I was 18 and he had complications of diabetes and mother died when I was 29 because of breast cancer. I want to be there for my son when he grows up.

I will post soon to let you know how the seminar goes and see if I get an appointment with the surgeon.

I also hope that I can be of help to anybody else who is like me and have been contemplating WLS for a long time. :)

Hi Lisa, you are in good company here. Everyone on this site knows what it is like to struggle with their weight and what a huge decision having wls surgery is. But, I don't think that for one minute you will regret it. I certainly don't. It has changed my life and everyone who knows me and knows about the surgery agrees that it is the best thing that I ever did. Good luck to you and keep us informed of progress.

Helenx

Welcome Lizajane2000, We are happy to have you aboard. I'm glad you have your husband's support, and the other people well they may just need time to let your decision sink in, but the main thing is what you want. People get scared when you tell them about the surgery thinking it is real dangerous, but I guess they do not realize being overweight is dangerous itself. I have not had my surgery yet, but hopefully in the next 3 to 4 months. I wish you luck as you begin your journey. This is a great place to learn about the sleeve. Everyone on here is very friendly, and whenever you have a questions I can pretty much guarantee someone will be able to help you. Good luck, keep us posted.

Welcome LizaJane!

I'm in the wait and see mode in this WLS process. I've gone to my seminar, had my surgeon's visit, all my testing, psych visit, 2 nutritionist visits and one support meeting. I have a visit with an internal med doc, 1 more nut. visit and 1 more support meeting before my paperwork can be submitted in Sept.

I've been working on all this since early April of this year. I have BC/BS and so I have to have a medically supervised "diet" for 3 months.

Don't get discouraged along the way! :) It's so good to have you a part of this forum!

Hi Lisa! Welcome! This site is the best!

Just remember that all the reservations other people have you've already had yourself, and then some. I told everyone close to me one or two at a time and was patient in answering all their questions. With the exception of one person, everyone could see that I wasn't making a rash decision and that it was in fact well thought out and researched. Once you've gone to the seminar and you start the process with your doctors, etc., you'll have more information to share with your family/friends, which should help with their concerns. This forum has been a huge help along the way and I'm sure will continue to be once I have surgery, hopefully in the next month or so. I already know that this surgery is the best decision I've ever made for myself.

Hi Lisa-

Our situations are very similar. BCBS paid for my surgery, so I hope that goes smoothly for you. I also have to drive 100 miles to have my surgery, and live in a small place. I also started out at 331 lbs. I got sleeved 7/14 and now weigh 280. No complications at all, I think it was totally worth it. Good luck with everything! My asthma is gone, I can walk easier, I'm no longer on diabetic meds. My blood sugar is fine. That's hopefully what you can look forward to!

Hi Lisa,

I too have Federal BCBS and was just approved on July 21. All in all the process took about 4 months for me because my surgeon is in very high demand. What's the name of your surgeon? Are you traveling to KC by chance? I'm glad your husband is being supportive and your family will come around eventually. Good luck and best wishes. Yes, please keep us updated. Have a good evening.

Deb

Thank you all for the wonderful support and best wishes. I will keep you all up to date.

Dansha, I actually will be traveling south. I am going to Arkansas to have the surgery done. I don't know how high of a demand my surgeon is, but he was highly recommended. His name is Kenneth Bruce Jones, MD.

I am so excited about tonight, can't hardly wait. I know it is not the surgery, but I really believe it is finally a step in the right direction.

Just wanted to give an update. Okay, I can already tell that I picked the right surgeon ;however, he is only done 36 vertical sleeves, but he has done 2000+ RNY and 500+ lap bands.

Anyway, I learned a lot. He went over the risks and the benefits of surgery and risks of staying the way I am. Dr. Jones stated last night that he read a study that stated that a group of people had WLS and a group of people had nonsurgical weight loss. In 10 years, 10 times more people died from nonsurgical weight loss than than those with WLS (he said the figures were 0.6% for WLS and 6% non-WLS).

Well, he gave us all a check list and a booklet to help us get started on the jouney. I called my insurance this morning my surgeon is network so all I will have to come up with is $100 for the surgeon and $150 for each night in the hospital everything else was 100% except for his initial consultation which I would just have to pay the copay of $25. Unbelievable!!:thumbup1:

Anyway, got to get my appointment to see my surgeon and then get my paper work to the insurance company and then proceed. I can't wait!!!!!! :thumbup1:

:thumbup:Hi Lisa, and welcome! I will be sleeved on sept 14th, and i lurked around for a while before making a decision, so I know how you feel!!!

Remember, this is for YOU.. for your health, so although it is not easy not to have everyone's support, you are the only one who can make this decision for yourself!

This site is amazing, tons of cool advice, nice people, and wonderful support!

Welcome!

LISA

Miss Lili

Hi everyone! I'm Desiree, 28 years old, graduated in New York University, and happily married to a man who I will be glad to make a lot of babies with! (love you honey)

I used to be in marketing back in 2004, for 3 years, but it didn't really float my boat. Perhaps I was in the wrong company? Ah well, I now work as a fashion designer (yes a big leap in industry) and consultant for GoodOrient, which creates in house designed asian apparels that fuses eastern and western fashion together, and fusing modern into traditionals. A lot of the cheongsams (chinese long dresses) are designed by me. I pick the fabrics, I design the cuttings, I put in the finishing touch, and I try them on after they're done. That's basically my job, and I love it!

After work, I love reading the latest gossip magazines and blogs, catch some streaming movies, watch youtube, and occasionally indulge myself and some friends inside TGIFridays' cakes or icecream. On the weekend I shop, jog with hubby and our 2 golden retrievers BeeBee and BooBoo, and experiemnt new recipes!

I've been living in China for 3 years now, and the cultural impact on me have ups and downs. It's just so much to explore, and I'm tougher than I was, 3 years ago back in Canada! Still experiences culture shock here and then, but it wasn't as bad as when I first came here. I kinda love it here! Other than the pollution....

This is it! My life story, in like 4 paragraphs. Short and sweet, just like me, physically =) Oh hey I'm very proud of my designs and work, so make sure you check them out, and you can contact me via them or this profile, and we can network if I find you interesting enough,or if you want some advice on fashion, or whatever!

Well, I got impatience and called my surgeon's office and they just said that they would give me a call when they are ready. :) I guess that kinda of made me discouraged that it is not going to happen as fast as I want it to. I gained 3 pounds this week and feel horrible. I have been wondering if I should go ahead and start a preop diet. What do you all think?

Lisa

Well, I got impatience and called my surgeon's office and they just said that they would give me a call when they are ready. :confused1: I guess that kinda of made me discouraged that it is not going to happen as fast as I want it to. I gained 3 pounds this week and feel horrible. I have been wondering if I should go ahead and start a preop diet. What do you all think?

Lisa

I see no problem with starting a pre op diet. It helps you get ready for the changes in the way you will be eating after the surgery and the healthier you are the easier the surgery will go. I still have another 3 weeks of Eap sessons before my paper work can even be turned in and I started my diet about a week ago. The only concern that my Doc and his assistant had was since I was so close to a 40 bmi that if I loose any wait I will be below a 40 (which I am now because of the diet) and my insurance requires a 40 or above to cover. but shhhh I am going to follow the advice of a fellow person on this site and drink a bunch of Water before mt next apt and put some heavy stuff in my pockets or some ankle weights. Well good luck :thumbup1:

Well I officially got an appointment for my consultation August 18th. This is finally really becoming real. Maybe I will have a surgery date soon. I am so excited. :)