Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does restriction feel like?

I know it's a weird question, but I've been on clears, and yesterday moved to full liquids.

I can drink broth and tea (iced or hot). It takes me about 30 minutes to down a 8-10 oz mug. My Protein shake in the morning is made with Water and is 12oz, also it takes me about 30 minutes....not really because I feel full or it hurts to drink more, but because I am trying to "re-teach" myself to eat/drink SLOWLY

So last night I had my first full liquid other than Protein Shake....I took a can of progresso cream of potato Soup ready made, added a can of chicken broth to thin it out, and put it in the blender....after a week of broth this felt like heaven in my mouth....it took me about 30 minutes to finish off my mug.....but I noticed that after about 10 minutes, I felt a little pressure in my chest, like the gas feeling after surgery...not as bad...but sort of like that....I took a gas-x, walked a little and it went away....

Today I wen shopping at costco for the usual....they were sampling, those yogurt to go, little individual sleeves, each about 2oz, I thought, that would be a great idea to have in the fridge to just grab and go...I swear I took a tiny sip, I could feel it going down, and when it hit, it felt like I had swallowed a knife pointy side down......so i guess I am not ready for yogurt or maybe not ready for lactose....who knows...but I'm back on broth for the rest of today just in case....

SO long story....but really....what does restriction feel like...I got fat because I was a volume eater, and never really felt full, so I am wondering how I will tell when I'm about to hit "the point of no return"????

It took awhile to get to this point, but about the time I started eating soft to normal foods, I would feel full just like I did before the VSG - it just happens a WHOLE lot faster!

If I ignore the feeling and keep eating, it will HURT and sometimes I've gotten nauseated. That taught me in a hurry when to stop. Unfortunately sometimes you don't know when you're full until you take that ONE bite too many. Then everyone has different responses to it - pain, pressure, nausea, vomiting, etc. It just takes listening to your bodie's cues and learning how to respond to them. And that takes some time.

I don't think I can word it any better than TexasT...... I was also a volume eater... to the extent that even when I felt full I'd still carry on....

Now? - Theres just no way I can. Eat slow and chew chew chew..... and I can feel myself filling up - usually takes about 5 mouthfuls depending what I am eating.....but my Portion Control is obviously much smaller.. and I'm slower than my husband now which amazes him!!

I've never pushed my sleeve... it cost far too much money for me to risk it - I've never been sick or had the slimes or nausea from over filling it..... I just literally listen to my body and stop when it feels right.

For me.. I have to pay attention while I eat to get the "full signal" and stop. But if I keep eating then I will get pressure in my left arm and I will start slimming I think is what they call it. It's that feeling that your kinda warm and clamy but your mouth is watering like your going to be sick. Sometimes walking around helps the food move and get past the slimming feeling but it is not pleasant.

For me the restriction is pretty evident, but usually too late. I get this pressure feeling and food feels like it is sitting in my throat. It's like I can litterally feel the food. If you measure out the amount of food you have already tried and figured out works, then you can measure. Usually I stick with 3-4 oz total, and then if I still feel like I need more, I'll add 1 more oz. Sometimes, I can only get 1 or 2 oz total before feeling the pressure. Everyone is different, and every food is different. Soup is easier to get more in. Starch, chicken, beef and even eggs fill me up with less. Hope that helped.