Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had sleeve a week ago. My surgery lasted 3-4 hours instead of 1-2. My surgeon says I had some adhesions, but there were no problems. However, my family knew there were problems within an hour of seeing me. Long story short, I wretched all evening and the entire next day. The first time I vomited a bit of pink Fluid, followed by thick green, followed by dried blood. I also had severe sweats,a rattle in my chest, blue lips, low grade fever, chills, severe pain in spite of morphine and phenegren. I have never felt pain this intense. I progressively got worse by the hour, but my surgeon did not want to move me to a bigger hospital(to save me money he said). Finally, after 30 hours of getting worse, my family insisted I be moved. At that point, I had all the above mentioned symptoms with low blood pressure, a heart rate between 134-140, and would look jaundice off/on. Still, my surgeon did not want to move me. My family figured out the nurses had let my IV inflitrate and I had not been getting fluids for a few hours on top of everything else. My surgeon finally transfered me to a large hospital were they immediately started running Vancymycin(a strong antibiotic) through me bag after bag for 48 hours. I also got fluids. I perked up once the antibiotics got in me, but even after I perked up a bit, when my kidneys would move, I was peeing coffee grounds as if my kidneys had been close to shutting down. I was diagnosed with a left side pneumonia, which I still have now at home. At first they claimed it was community acquired, later changed to hsopital acquired. I don't believe either is the case. The whole ordeal was horrific! I had one of the most respected surgeons in the southeast, and I couldn't have felt saferwith him. However, we now know something went very wrong. The surgeon will not say. He now admits I must have aspirated, BUT he says I was fine when he left me. The hospital won't say anything either. I went to a local internist to get a full check up only to be run out of his office. YES, IT SEEMS I MUST BE EITHER CRAZY OR LOOKING FOR MONEY IF I WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH,AM SCARED ABOUT MY HEALTH, ETC. No one in this state will cross this surgeon. No other bariatric surgeon will look at me either(they all claim they don't see other surgeon's patients no matter what). I just want to know the truth about what happened to me. I paid 20,000 cash for something that almost killed me. I think I should at least know the truth for health reasons. I'm at home weezing, vomiting with phenegren, and not doing well. If anyone out there can advise me or maybe you yourself are a bariatric surgeon willing to help me(with full cash payment of course), please contact me. I need someone unbiased to help me. Also is there anyone with complications like these out there? Thanks.....

I would file a complaint with the local medical society. That is who disciplines doctors. The next thing I would do is hire an attorney and subpoena your surgery records. Everyone is playing CYA (cover your ass) and afraid of a lawsuit. Can you go see your PCP? If not your attorney will arrange to have you medically examined.

I hope you are feeling better and will soon be back to normal.

Wow, that's terrible. I hope you find answers. I would get your medical records asap. I had a simular case with my ankle surgery and they "accidently destoryed" my records before I could get them. Contact legal help asap.

Thanks everyone..for an update on my situation you can read please help.. under the post op forum. I have updated everyone there. Again,please, if anyone knows a doc who will take CASH to treat me, please let me know. No one will touch me in my area for fear of getting involved or stepping on my well known surgeon's toes per se. I am not getting better. I have fever, left sided pneumonia, chills, vomiting even with phenegren liquid, pain even with roxicet(someone who normally won't even take tylenol), and now I'm having a cough like spasm with xevere sore throat. I just need a doc who will treat me and get me on the path to recovery. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Thanks everyone...

Thanks everyone..for an update on my situation you can read please help.. under the post op forum. I have updated everyone there. Again,please, if anyone knows a doc who will take CASH to treat me, please let me know. No one will touch me in my area for fear of getting involved or stepping on my well known surgeon's toes per se. I am not getting better. I have fever, left sided pneumonia, chills, vomiting even with phenegren liquid, pain even with roxicet(someone who normally won't even take tylenol), and now I'm having a cough like spasm with xevere sore throat. I just need a doc who will treat me and get me on the path to recovery. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Thanks everyone...

My physician takes those patients that got messed up in Mexico. However you would have to come to San Antonio and that could cost you a bit. . if your interested in that, PM me and i'll give you his number so you can call and discuss this further. . . be aware however, he is not cheap by any means. . thanks and good luck

wow that is a horrific story! to think it was done in the states! i am going to mexico to have mine done. i am cash pay as well but lucky enough my surgeon here agreed to take care of me after i get home

Go the ER in the next town around you. If there is what is considered a "county Hospital " care will be render no matter if you have insurance or not. It is there obligation to treat you. If you still have pneumonia you need attention. If you can't get help there call the medical board. These Dr take an oath when they become a phyisicans to CARE for patients. I am so sorry what you are going through. Hopefully this will help.