Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have a Doctor who did not approve?

Hi,

After finally deciding to get it done and scheduling my surgery for Aug 18th, I finally decided to talk to my family Doctor and I even brought paperwork to show her on the VSG and Info on Dr. Pompa. However she was not happy I could tell, she told me that she would rather I meet with a Doctor here in Canada who deals with obesity and he can put me on medications but she also thinks I wont qualify for surgery here because my BMI is not over 40.

She says that she would not be able to help me if something goes wrong when I return because she does not know what the Dr's in Mexico are doing and what the procedure entitles etc.

I could tell she was not happy at all, but then she did say that she as my Dr has to advice me of the risks and she tried to make me feel guilty for the fact that i am a single parent and what if something goes wrong when I am down there and my kids wont have their mother. So trying to scare me a bit.

Then she said so what are you going to do, and she could just tell I was still wanting this surgery. But, I will admit I left feeling really bummed out that my Dr does not approve and was upset at my decision.

Did anyone else go through this with their Dr and if so what did you do or how did it feel?

I also want to hear from people who's Dr's approved because I would like to hear what their opinions were on the VSG.

Thanks

I did not have those issues with my dr. I have to say, I think it was very unprofessional to question your motives since you are a single mother. That was really out of line in my opinion. Your doctors role is to advise you regarding your health, not to judge you as a person or a mother. I would have been disapointed too after a meeting like that, but I would have been more angry than anything.

My doctor has definitly not been a cheerleader. She has filled the paper work out for me but also lets me know that she has patients that have done it and gained weight back. My mother also goes to the same doc and had the lap-band and is now having complications so she asks me what I think about that. As we went through my 6 month diet I think she is more comfortable with it and understands I have done my research and know that this is just a tool. She did however ask at my last appointment if I was sure I wanted to do this because I had lost 40 lbs in my 6 month....like I havent done that too many times to count before just to gain it back and then some!

Sorry for your unsupportive doctor experience. I would hope that instead of urging against surgery, she would try to help you get the surgery closer to home so that she could be involved in your care. You're doing the right thing -- surgery or not -- by taking control of your own health. If I were you I'd find a new doctor as soon as you get back from surgery.

My experience is completely opposite. My doctor suggested surgery as an option almost two years ago and I've resisted it. It wasn't until I learned about the sleeve that I started thinking about it. Now I'm at the insurance approval stage.

My Doctor hadn't even heard of the procedure, so I explained it to her. She then asked why I don't just get a RNY here in Canada. I explained how long the waiting list can take and told her I would not qualify anyways because my BMI is below 40.

She than said she can't tell me not to do it. She felt I should give diet and exercise another try.

Then she said she would support me what ever I decided to do.

I love my doc.