Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you feel irritable, weak, and unable to concentrate at first?

From past dieting experiences, I know I get pretty affected mentally when I don't eat much - irritable, unable to concentrate, etc. For those of you who have the same problem, did you experience that in your first few weeks/months of recovery from WLS? I'm wondering if I'm going to be 100% mentally by the time I go back to school 3 weeks after my VSG.

I was tired, yes. I had mine on Dec. 22 and went back to school the second monday in january (law school) and was just fine. The only thing i had issues with was carrying books/laptops which was well over my drs. 10 pound limit so i had to invest in a rolly briefcase

Yes. Yes. And Yes. I am 4 weeks out and am still tired, and getting less irritable but still a little cranky. Concentration is better. I am feeling less weak. I am very restricted and struggling still to get in enough fluids, calories and Protein. I have to force each bite and sip.

I get tired easily. I am almost 3 weeks out. I have 3 more weeks before back to school, I teach 2nd grade. I find that the mornings are harder and the evenings are better for me. Maybe because of an empty stomach in the mornings:confused1:

I'm 13 months out, and still have my raging b*tch moments right before my period. I was never like this pre-op.

I was tired early out, but my moodiness was chronic, and constant because I was losing so rapidly. It sucked, and I thought it would never end. Luckily, it did get better and now I just experience major PMS, and I get a little more sensitive than I did pre-op.

Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering if I should alert the students' affairs office when school starts in case a prof thinks I'm slacking or something.

YES, I definitely did. The first day post-op at the hospital was the worse. I didn't want to sip, or take walks because I felt so exhausted. The days following I was really irritable. It's been about a week now, and I'm back to my old self now. :thumbup1:

I'm 13 months out, and still have my raging b*tch moments right before my period. I was never like this pre-op.

I was tired early out, but my moodiness was chronic, and constant because I was losing so rapidly. It sucked, and I thought it would never end. Luckily, it did get better and now I just experience major PMS, and I get a little more sensitive than I did pre-op.

I was like this too and I am post menopausal. I have a theory that your fat stores fat solubale hormones, like the PMS ones, and burning it releases those hormones back into your system for you to enjoy again :thumbup:

I was like a mental person on stilts for ages. My poor DH has had to put up with so much over the years. Nowadays I am fine again, but now I am down to the last few pounds to shed and I am taking it slowly.

Jane x

Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering if I should alert the students' affairs office when school starts in case a prof thinks I'm slacking or something.

I think you should just wait to see how you feel. I had it rough after surgery but others don't. You may feel back to normal after three weeks and only need to watch how many books you're carrying at one time. If you still feel like you're struggling the Thursday or Friday before class starts, then contact someone to see if you qualify for accommodations in your classes.

Hi, I'm a prof, and I don't think it's necessary to do that unless you need specific accommodations. To be perfectly honest, it's your choice to take a leave of absence or not. If you're going to go to school, then go--it's going to look like you're making excuses for poor performance if you tell your prof you can't concentrate because you had surgery. From the prof's point of view, if you aren't healthy enough to be in school, you should be on leave until you are fully healed. I mean you are graded on your work. Saying "I had surgery" won't change that C into a B.

1st off, everyone is different.

I'm officially 3 weeks out and felt weak only the 1st week. By mid 2nd week I had no pain and had to pick up my toddler 17lbs (no way around it) but I was fine. Yesterday I went back to my Zumba classes and did fantastic! I think it's important that you keep hydrated and TRY eating your goal amount of Protein.

Again, this is all relevant. Hope the best for you!!

Lovingly,

monica:001_tongue:

I had problems concentrating and emotional problems my first 3 weeks post op. But once that was over and I could get more fluids in it really helped. I think it had to do with dehydration. But I don't get the weak, irritable, and frustrated feeling I use to before the surgery. I don't really feel hunger the same way.

I felt tired at first. My energy ran out fast. Now I have more energy and can go longer without needing to rest. My concentration is a little off and has been since surgery. I didn't experience irritability.

Hi, I'm a prof, and I don't think it's necessary to do that unless you need specific accommodations.

I'll decide that for myself, thanks.