Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone utilized that service to be a self-pay? I was wondering what rates you may have seen or how long it takes to go through the process.

Any good or bad feedback you could provide is helpful!

Hi. I am a self pay as well and I contacted surgeryloans about one month ago. They informed me (with my 700 credit score) that the rates were high because patients do not repay their loans after a period of time. Because they do not require collateral, it is more difficult to get approved, and when you do the interest rate is rather high. I'm in the same boat and still searching for the best rate. I don't know how much this information will help you, but I wanted to share my experience with you.

Best of luck and please keep me posted.

I also have an excellent credit rating & they quoted me a VERY high rate (around 12.9%!!!). So high, it was cheaper to look at a regular credit card than using them.

If you own a house, do you have Home Equity Line of Credit? Usually you can borrow on that at a MUCH lower rate.

Good luck in your search.

Wow... I know this is off topic -- but I just got my hospital bill.. I have insurance which covers for 80% but I have to pay the difference (which is probably going to be high) -- anyhow, one night stay was $29,000 and this does not include the anesthesiologist or surgeon!! I am looking at paying $6-7,000 out of pocket. So, I guess I will be on a payment plan forever.. But, I totally don't regret it.

This brings up something else - if you have an insurance policy that covers 80%, don't they still have to go by the allotted amount if they have that hospital / surgeon as a in-network provider? I'll be using a limited insurance policy that only covers up to a certain amount, so I am sure that I will have out-of-pocket costs above the 80%. It is certainly more reasonable if I end up paying what's left of an allotted amount than what the hospital or surgeon charges out-of-network providers.

I think I've spent months trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this surgery and the best insurance to use (of the ones available to me at the beginning of the coverage year). I've almost had total meltdowns several times!:thumbup1:

The bill what is usual and customary - that I don't know what it is going to be as of yet. BUT, I definitely have to pay 20% of whatever that is... The same provisions don't always apply to WLS surgery which is what I didn't know. I thought once you reach the $2000 max out of pocket -- that is all I would pay but NO, not when it has to do with WLS. It is frustrating. But, I am glad I had it a reputable place and don't regret having to pay the $$$$ even if I am going to pay for many years to come.

So many variables to consider and unfortunately, we don't always know it all before we go under...:thumbup:

This brings up something else - if you have an insurance policy that covers 80%, don't they still have to go by the allotted amount if they have that hospital / surgeon as a in-network provider? I'll be using a limited insurance policy that only covers up to a certain amount, so I am sure that I will have out-of-pocket costs above the 80%. It is certainly more reasonable if I end up paying what's left of an allotted amount than what the hospital or surgeon charges out-of-network providers.

I think I've spent months trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this surgery and the best insurance to use (of the ones available to me at the beginning of the coverage year). I've almost had total meltdowns several times!:crying:

One thing that really relieved my mind was the fact that the hospital we are going to will bill us and set-up payments for whatever the amount ends of being - interest free. When I asked the billing department what would happen if we owed a lot more after they billed the insurance company, she said, "we will work with you and set something up, unless you want to pay interest to your credit card company or on a loan" and then she laughed. Whew - that was soooo good to hear. BTW - this is one of the top hospitals in Georgia, too.

I went through the approval process but ultimately decided to go with a low interest rate credit card.

The process was quick, very quick. They called me back that afternoon. I have good credit, stable job, and little debt but the lowest interest they had to offer was 10.25 percent, and that is NOT fixed. If prime goes up, so does the rate. Also, there was over $1000 in loan origination and adminstrative fees. It just made more sense to go with a credit card.

Hope this helps!

I just went thru them. I took a $1k loan (because I had scratched up the rest of my Mexico surgery fees elsewhere). they charge $129 service fee and a ridiculous 16.99% rate...but the jokes on them....I'll have the $1k paid off in less than 3 months. Hee hee. You gotta love those months when you get an "extra" paycheck!