Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started eating food before I was supposed to, did anyone else?

I didn't have trouble except for a little acid reflux.

weight.png

Edited by chubbygirl

Please stick with your diets. I did not cheat but still ended up with a leak. I would hate to know that I had caused it. Believe me, a little food a little early is definitely not worth a two week hospital stay and 3 months with a feeding tube.

Not trying to scare you, but just keep up the soft foods for a little longer. You can eat anything you want soon enough!

Please stick with your diets. I did not cheat but still ended up with a leak. I would hate to know that I had caused it. Believe me, a little food a little early is definitely not worth a two week hospital stay and 3 months with a feeding tube.

Not trying to scare you, but just keep up the soft foods for a little longer. You can eat anything you want soon enough!

I couldn't agree more. I know it's boring, and tedious. It's not only the immediate "problems" with advancing a diet early that you have to worry about. You can induce vomiting which can weaken and stress your staple line. You can have food get stuck in your staple line causing infection thus compromising your staple line.

You trusted your surgeon to go in, staple off, and remove 85% of your stomach, trust them with the post-op diet they've prescribed.

I totally agree Staci! Please work at sticking with the instructions you have been given. I know it's tough, I'm still restricted. But our stomaches are so delicate/tender right now, but that will change quickly enough. Remember the instructions are based on experience about what works and what doesn't. PLEASE stay with it a little longer! Take care and best of luck!

Thanks everyone! I guess I'm the only rebel of the bunch!:scared0: But I get what your saying. So when you've cheated and your body is used to getting food...how do start over after a week of feeding yourself? Essentially, how do you wipe the slate clean...start over?:001_unsure:

Go back to whatever food stage you should be on, and stick with it. I know it sucks, but you'll get to eat your favorites in a couple of weeks. Others cheat, most aren't willing to admit it. Some have zero problems, we're not trying to scare or scold you. It's just out of concern.

The only thing I cheated with was drinking 2% instead of 1% milk. But, I have a fairly progressive postop diet. I know it's not popular to say,:( but if I had been told to do clears for 2 weeks postop, I can't honestly say what I would have done. I'm not saying that to suggest that people should cheat. Just being honest. I actually stayed on clears one or two days longer than I was supposed to because I was nauseous. But, once that passed I jumped right in with full liquids. I was very weak as it was and moving along in the food stages gave me some strength when I needed it most. But, I like to think that I would have stuck with it and did what my doctor said.

I would suggest to experiment with some creative options that fit in with the stage of the diet you are supposed to be on. If you're on mushies/pureed, look through the food forum here on VST and check out the recipes and suggestions from other members of what to eat. I always find something new and creative there when I read those threads. Also, call your doctor's office for some suggestions. There's also a lot of stuff out there on the web.

In terms of actually stepping back in the meal plan, how far off track are you? If you're eating softs and supposed to be on full liquids, start by stepping back to mushies/pureed. Then, incorporate fulls for at least one or two meals a day. The time will fly and it will be time to progress your diet in no time. Let us know how you're doing...

I understand... I am on day 4 of the liquid diet and I am about ready to take a bite out of my desk. I have not had surgery yet though... Anyway just wanted you to know I empathize. :(

I'm probably going to get scolded for this post, but I must speak my mind.

OK, I have cheated. I was on day 7 post-op and flying home. I could take no more than 3oz liquid w/ me and forgot Protein powder. I had about 2 TBS cream Soup. I have had some creamed Soup and an egg since (I'm 10 days post op).

A word about cheating:

I didn't do it willy-nilly. I checked every post-op diet I could find posted online. Programs vary WIDELY on their post-op diets. Some allow creamed Soups during the first week, others just clears. My program wants me on clears and Protein drinks for 2 weeks. But to be honest, post-op diets seem somewhat arbitrary. Sure there are general rules: keep hydrated, don't eat anything that's not mushed, but the specifics and the length of each stage seems different everywhere. I'm one of those people who is unlucky enough to still have hunger and Protein drinks only weren't cutting it.

A word about commitment:

I lost over 10 percent of my body weight (25 lbs) in the 3 months before surgery. I think I am committed to this process. That said, I don't know how successful I'll be; yes I'm going to try my hardest but it isn't all up to me. We all know, that part of what made us obese was genetic and part psychological. Researchers think at least 70% of obesity is genetic. Now look at this surgery. It works for most people, some more than others. Who am I to say that a person who only loses 50% of their body weight isn't committed? Maybe there is more to obesity than ghrelin and stomach size. Maybe there are metabolic factors or other hormones we don't know about. I'm just not so willing to judge people on not being committed to their tool.

About leaks:

I have yet to find any literature that suggests that eating mushies too soon, causes leaks. The Cornell plan has people eating mushies at day 5 (I think). If there is data linking advancing the diet to leaks, please please let me know. I have looked online and haven't found any references to it.

That's my $.02

Lisalu

Ok since we are coming clean lol I am on day 4 and oh man its hard i am starving in my mind, but i feel full. I did cheat by 2 having ritz cracker it really helped with acid. And i had a lick of a piece of candy.< /p>

Yes I have cheated too. But I am on a super stricked diet. I am 7 weeks out and still supposed to be on pureed food which I have not heard yet on this forum. When I say cheat I mean I eat healthy but I am not putting it in the blender, in stead I am chewing it between 20 to 50 times (chicken). I pray I haven't gotten a leak.