Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the forum, surgery date was 6-28-2010

Hello! I had my sleeve surgery on 6-28-2010. I really wish I would have found this forum before my surgery. My surgeon is Dr. David Treen, Surgical Center of Louisiana.

I do not own a scale on purpose. If I had one, I would obsess about it daily. So the only scale I use is when I go to the doctor's office. My highest pre-op weight was 315 pounds. I have no clue what my weight is now. As soon as I know, I'll be happy to share.

I'm looking forward to reading all of your posts and finding friends that I can relate with in the forum.

Congrats! This is an amazing surgery! I could not lose weight on my own - this has definitely been a Godsend!

Hopefully you will be very surprised and happy when you get weighed next at your doctor's office! It is so easy to get addicted to the scale; I can't put mine away! I will be out of town next week for about 5-6 days and won't weigh on any other scales - so will go thru a little withdrawals : )

Hope your recovery goes smoothly!

Congratulations !! You and I are Surgery Sisters - I also had surgery on 6/28. Hope you're doing well.

:001_rolleyes:Sounds like things went really smooth for you, congradulations. This is the 1st time to visit this site and your post caught my eye. I have an appt to speak with Dr.Treen next Tuesday. This is new to me and very scarry. I had to go to the emergency room yesterday morning to find out that I have a stomach hernia. I am now in a situation which I will need surgery very soon to remove & repair hernia. After that is over, I need & want to lose weight. One year ago I went to lap band seminar and did not persue it and decided to go to weight watchers instead. Lost 40 lbs but gained it all back "same old story". I am 280+ lbs. and only 5 ft. The verticle sleeve seams like a better approach and I am highly considering. Reading your post was very encouraging and positive. Good luck in your new journey of life and I hope to chat with you again.

SoonToBeThin

Thanks for all of the positive posts. :)

I did the surgery because I want to live. My father died of his SECOND massive heartattack when he was only 42 years old. He had his first when he was 38. When I look in the mirror I could see myself walking in his foot steps.

I did the surgery because I want to start a family. I want to be in good health when I decide to start my family, for myself and for my family.

I will not say that this has been easy. My surg was on 6-28...a week ago tomorrow. And I have cried every day since then. I have not been able to get the nutrients in that I need to sustain, and I have felt like I made a huge mistake. I keep trying to tell myself that my stomach is still healing, but still, I worry that I'll never be able to get enough Protein in. Dr. Treen want us to have at MINIMUM 55 g of Protein per day, and I can barely get in 25-30 at this point.

I'm trying to stay positive, but the negative thoughts are dominating right now.

I'm so sorry that you're having such a hard time. I don't have any words for you other than - hang in there, it gets better every day.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. I can tell you that it does absolutely get better everyday. I too had a hard time getting everything in as well. However, I was told that the first week or so I needed to concentrate on liquids. Now, I'm almost three weeks out and it is so much better. There are some days that it is easier to get it all in then some days it is very hard. I just do the very best I can everyday. Try not to be too hard on yourself right now, just keep the liquids down as much as possible. It will get better!

Hi: I am sorry you are having a hard time. I am sure things are going to get easier, "hang in there". I live in Marrero, you must be a neighbor or live close by. I am glad I found this site prior to discussing sleeve with doctor. My appt with Dr Treen is tomorrow and I am nervous already. Keep me posted on your progress and maybe we will meet or run across each other one day. I will be following your post. Good luck and hope to chat soon.

Thanks for all of the positive posts. :confused:

I did the surgery because I want to live. My father died of his SECOND massive heartattack when he was only 42 years old. He had his first when he was 38. When I look in the mirror I could see myself walking in his foot steps.

I did the surgery because I want to start a family. I want to be in good health when I decide to start my family, for myself and for my family.

I will not say that this has been easy. My surg was on 6-28...a week ago tomorrow. And I have cried every day since then. I have not been able to get the nutrients in that I need to sustain, and I have felt like I made a huge mistake. I keep trying to tell myself that my stomach is still healing, but still, I worry that I'll never be able to get enough Protein in. Dr. Treen want us to have at MINIMUM 55 g of Protein per day, and I can barely get in 25-30 at this point.

I'm trying to stay positive, but the negative thoughts are dominating right now.

April,

Sweetie, hang in there. You are having the same thoughts and feelings that most of us have had. Remember, you have just been through a major surgery. Your hormones are fluctuating. You are probably subconsciously angry at your "situation". I remember very well after having my lapband placed (I'm sleeved now) sitting on the "throne" and looking down at myself thinking "what have I done". I cried for a few days as I was so pissed at myself for the shape I was in, I was mourning the loss of food, and most of all mourning the loss of "my best friend" which was food. I used food as a method of dealing with everything in life. I've since realized that food was not the "friend" that I thought it was.

In a few days, you will start feeling better and realize "Hey, I CAN do this". In a few weeks, after you have lost some pounds, you will be amazed at how much better you feel. In a few months, this phase of your journey will be but a faint memory. It will all be so worth these few days of misery.

About 2 years ago, I had all I could do to get home and flop down in a chair after work and sit there and eat till time for bed. Now, after a loss of 110 lbs, I have a life. Today, for example, I went "tubing" on the Colorado river. I've climed mountains since surgery. I was able to keep up with 4 young marines last weekend while helping my friend move (I'm 54 years young). Just keep your eyes on the prize!!!! You can do it.

As far as "getting your protein in". Don't worry about this in the first few weeks. Just work on getting your fluids in. That is the most important thing at this time. In a few weeks, when the swelling in your tummy goes down, you will be able to get the needed Proteins and nutrients. Just don't worry now. FLUIDS, FLUIDS, FLUIDS are the most important.

Keep us posted and welcome to the loosers bench. It will be so worth it!!!!

Edited by 3636millie
spelling

April,

I too was sleeved on the 28th, and it's been a difficult road as well for me. I also had to have my gall bladder out. I had a tough time with the anestesia, was nausious and in pain for the first 2-3 days. At one point I was crying to my husband about 'what I did to myself', and that I had made a huge mistake.

Well, I seemed to turn a corner on day 4, the anestesia was out of my system, I was on full liquids which I tolerated very well, and I started feeling much better. Today is my 1 week point, and I'm very happy with my decision to be sleeved - I've tried on my own for years to loose the weight, but it just never came off, or if it did, I would just regains. My heaviest weight was 243 (when I got home from a cruise about 2 wks before my surgery), and I was 228 the morning of my surgery. I'm now about 218, and feeling better and stronger every day.

Hang in there, I know it's difficult, but remember the reasons for your decision - you deserve the life you want to live. It's only been 1 week, so don't be so hard on yourself - everyone heals at different rates.

Since we were sleeved on the same day, I'd like to touch base with you as we go through this journey together.

Thanks again to all those with encouraging replies.

I have cried everyday since I had the surgery. However, today was a better day. I did not cry. I returned to work today and was able to see many of my friends who had smiling faces and words of encouragement. A couple of them even told me that they could tell I was already losing weight because my cheeks were not as puffy. (NSV!)

I had a NSV before work today too. I put on a shirt that did not fit me prior to the surgery and it fits perfectly now. Cant wait for a couple of weeks to pass and see that it's too big.

I'm still having probs getting the Protein and nutrients, but I am hanging on to y'all's words of get the fluids in.

Today at work was hard physically, because I became exhausted early in the day, and later in the day I had some pain from my incision sites. My boss is the bomb though, and recognized I was not feeling well and sent me home early, no doc in pay. YAY!

Over all, I still feel a little down, but I will say things are getting better slowly.

I still have not weighed myself. My doctor's appointment is next Tuesday, and I will weigh then. I'll probably invest in a scale for home, just because I'm so bloody curious. lol! I'll start a ticker next week.

You will be amazed at how quickly you heal and how easily you can get your Protein in once that swelling in your stomach goes down. I am 15 weeks out and have been able to chug my Water for weeks now. Best wishes!