Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lotion on incision sites?

Does anyone know when you can start putting lotion on the incision sites? I am starting my 3rd week post op! My stomach is really dry and I would like to put lotion or something on the incisions. I don't have any staples, stitches, or anything anymore. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Once the surgical glue came off, I think I was allowed to use lotions. I did use sparingly around my incision sites only because I wanted to scratch them. I knew if I started rubbing lotion on them, I'd start scratching and digging on them.

I had internal stitches, and started using Bio Oil twice a day once the scabs had come off. Luckily mine don't itch at all.

I got mine via the internet (Ebay).....

Theres also a spanish oil called Rosa Mosqueta ( I think) which is also very good.

I don't think almond oil has any major benefits.... maybe a Vitamin E oil might be better if you can't get any Bio Oil.

I got the okay from my doc to start using scar cream once the scabs fell off...so I have been using Scar Zone everyday on the incisions.

Try some Bacitracin ointment. It will lubricate the scabs/incisions while fighting off infection. Cover lightly with some gauze or bandaid if you want to prevent them getting linty from your clothes, or getting ointment on your clothes.

If they are hurting .. neosporin has a ointment with pain reliever in it also. It works wonders. : )

My doc said that as a precaution you should try to avoid putting lotion on the incision sites until you are a month out. He said if you must put lotion on it, try to use fragrance free, hypo allergenic lotion. He also said I could use aloe vera, which has worked out well. So, I use regular lotion on the non-incision parts of my stomach and aloe vera on the incisions.

Oh, and he said that if the reason you want to put lotion on them is because they itch (as opposed to generally wanting to lotion your body), then you should use the aloe vera because it means your incisions are still trying to heal.

I would wait a while to use anything but ointment. Mine looked great for 1st three weeks and then began to get red around EVERY incision. Developed some sort of allergic reaction (either to the glue on incisions or soap). Dr. told me to use Lotrimin and it took another 2 weeks to clear it up. I was told to use Antibacterial soap (and did) still do and everything is looking great now.

Bio-oil for me too. My scars are pretty invisible now. I can't actually fin a couple of them even looking closely.

I am curious to find out if many can wear a bikini eventually without tell tale signs of surgery and incisions. I have only seen 1 YouTube video and the girl did have scarring.

1) How long did it last?

2) On pale skinned people, is it permanent?

3) Anything else I should know?

That probably seems like it should be the least of my worries, but I feel like I am sort of in between surgery and no surgery. Since I've started reading this forum, I have really cut back my portions and actually started to see the scale slowly reverse! (Ok like a few pounds - but for me, I have been steadily gaining every week for the last year.)

In first week or so I was ravenously hungry and couldn't wait to have the surgery. I have had to go about 3-4 times a day when I am empty and hungry but it has lessened. (BMI 32 about 60lbs to lose.) Obesity runs in my family and my little sisters who really diet and workout hard daily are still chunky. I probably will end up having it because I feel this weight loss is temporary and I am 34 and the struggle will only get worse. All I want is to feel fuller longer, and be able to eat healthy & small portions of food I really like. Verses all low carb or no bread ever, etc. So far, I've cut back portions and still eat most of what I like. Yes, there are times when I am hungry. Usually, when I think about food or whether or not I am hungry, I physically GET hungry. So that is why I feel my recent success is only temporary. (In the middle of this long paragraph I weighed myself and realized a gained a pound since yesterday, despite drinking lot of water.. so probably will lean towards surgery.)

I feel like I should move toward a decision within the next few days/weeks because the surgery I want is Plication, new and is $4000 cheaper for the next month. I am self pay, so saving $4000 would really help. I also think if I am going to do it, get it over with, so I can get through post op and have a better quality of life ASAP.

At the same time, I am very scared and have never had surgery before. I am worried I will get it and have regrets. Anyone been there?

I got the okay from my doc to start using scar cream once the scabs fell off...so I have been using Scar Zone everyday on the incisions.

LOL I need to read more carefully I though you had said "Sour cream" I was like what in the world would would sour cream do to help scars???

I am curious to find out if many can wear a bikini eventually without tell tale signs of surgery and incisions. I have only seen 1 YouTube video and the girl did have scarring.

1) How long did it last?

2) On pale skinned people, is it permanent?

3) Anything else I should know?

That probably seems like it should be the least of my worries, but I feel like I am sort of in between surgery and no surgery. Since I've started reading this forum, I have really cut back my portions and actually started to see the scale slowly reverse! (Ok like a few pounds - but for me, I have been steadily gaining every week for the last year.)

In first week or so I was ravenously hungry and couldn't wait to have the surgery. I have had to go about 3-4 times a day when I am empty and hungry but it has lessened. (BMI 32 about 60lbs to lose.) Obesity runs in my family and my little sisters who really diet and workout hard daily are still chunky. I probably will end up having it because I feel this weight loss is temporary and I am 34 and the struggle will only get worse. All I want is to feel fuller longer, and be able to eat healthy & small portions of food I really like. Verses all low carb or no bread ever, etc. So far, I've cut back portions and still eat most of what I like. Yes, there are times when I am hungry. Usually, when I think about food or whether or not I am hungry, I physically GET hungry. So that is why I feel my recent success is only temporary. (In the middle of this long paragraph I weighed myself and realized a gained a pound since yesterday, despite drinking lot of Water.. so probably will lean towards surgery.)

I feel like I should move toward a decision within the next few days/weeks because the surgery I want is Plication, new and is $4000 cheaper for the next month. I am self pay, so saving $4000 would really help. I also think if I am going to do it, get it over with, so I can get through post op and have a better quality of life ASAP.

At the same time, I am very scared and have never had surgery before. I am worried I will get it and have regrets. Anyone been there?

I dont really have an answer to how long the scars take to become less visble but if you are that worried about it you could try looking for a surgen that does the SILS (single insision laproscopic surgery). I know that is what my surgen does and I am very happy about it. Oh and the scare is in the belly button.

SILS? Overview

What the SILS? Procedure Means for You

As surgery, in general, is a significant step toward helping restore a patient to health, researchers and physicians continually seek out ways to innovate new techniques that yield positive treatment outcomes and advance the surgical experience for patients.

How could the SILS? procedure make a difference for you? It?s a good question, deserving of even better answers. The single incision SILS? approach, combined with the SILS? Port that makes this procedure possible, translates into some compelling benefits worth consideration.

jpegPotential for No Visible Scar. We all have them, but do we really want them? After all, scars change our bodies and represent the large and small battles that we?ve all faced. With the SILS? procedure, patients can look forward to the possibility of no visible scars as the incision is hidden inside the belly button.

Possible Reduction in Pain. Pain. It?s a universal experience we would all rather avoid. And for too long, it?s been a part of the surgical experience. However, the pain and discomfort often associated with surgery isn?t always caused by the procedure itself, but rather from the trauma resulting from gaining access to the problem area.

Laparoscopic surgeries (generally requiring three to four small incisions) often result in less post-surgical pain compared to open surgery (which requires one large incision) by minimizing injury to the body. By utilizing only one incision, the SILS? procedure may further eliminate the wound pain that results from multiple points of entry required by standard laparoscopic procedures. Clinical trials are under development to study these benefits in depth.

Potential for Faster Recovery Time. Many patients consider a quick recovery time to be one of the most important factors to consider when deciding upon surgical options. The SILS? single incision approach through the belly button means that surgeons can avoid cutting through layers of muscle to reach the problem area, which may reduce overall recovery time and get patients back to normal life sooner.