Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

very disappointed in this site

I have been contemplating this for a couple days and decided now that I am less emotional to get this off my chest. I feel very let down by the lack of response I got when I related my near death experience having the sleeve. My post was entitled went for surgery 6/25 I got three whole responses to my thread. Three whole people were empathetic and caring enough to offer kind words and prayers. Yet someone can post they just had surgery and get fifteen well wishes. It is almost like noone wants to hear the bad stuff or complications. I think my account of what happened was very honest and did not place blame on anyone just accounted the facts of me almost dying on the bed in front of my mother before I even headed back to surgery. I am sorry if you think it is pathetic that I would care to hear from all the people I have come to use as information and inspiration in choosing to have this surgery. I had higher expectations but I guess that is my own fault. Maybe I am just a mess after the experience I guess time will tell.

Edited by mp8btpc

Wow, sorry to hear that you went through something that scary. I do not get on the forum everyday so I never saw your experience. I think if that happened to me my husband would have stopped my surgery also. Don't give up on the forum. Sometimes people don't see all the posts. I know I missed yours.

It is good to share all experiences, whether good or bad. People need to know what could happen. I went back, found your post and read it. I've glad that you are doing better. (I think I would still have nightmares to be honest)

I am sorry that you feel that way. I can tell you that it's nearly impossible for me to check every post, every day of the week, in every sub-forum, and if I happen to be stuck somewhere, I'll log on my phone, and sometimes I don't see all the new posts.

Also, once I log out and back in, or close my browser on my laptop, if I hit "New Posts" the only ones that I see are the ones that have been updated since my last log-in. It doesn't make it any better, and again I'm sorry that you are disappointed. It's tough when there's over 100 new posts to get to all of them. Hopefully, you'll continue to seek support and information from the site. If you choose to not participate, I hope you find the support you think you deserve from an online community.

Complications are very scary, and I'm sorry you and your family had to endure that experience. I hope you continue to recover, and feel better each and every day.

Hi! It took me a moment to find your original post. For me, I usually try to put something in the title that indicates what is in the body of the post. I think if you had entitled your thread "I almost died on the table," you would have gotten a landslide of responses. I don't read every thread- just the ones who's titles and opening sentences grab me. That's my defense.

Having said that, HOLY FRIGGING SH*T, honey! I'm SO sorry that happened to you. I am going to tell you this right now: you were NOT given Versed/Midazolam. That is a benzodiazapine (I'm a nurse) that has ZERO paralytic or even respiratory depressive qualities. Even if you had an extreme allergic reaction, it would NOT manifest that way. Let me tell you what that incompetent anesthesiologst/CRNA DID give you: a paralytic. Something like etomidate, pancuronium, rocuronium, vecuronium, succenylcholine etc... These are neuromuscular blockades that paralyze you (AFTER you've been comfortably sedated with an anxiolytic like Midazolam) to allow for intubation (putting in the breathing tube that protects your airway during the surgery). The laryngoscope wasn't protecting your tongue (no one bites their tongue in real life- thats a TV/movie thing), but getting your tongue out of the way so they could intubate you. Those incompetent bastards nearly killed you, they knew it, they were freaking out KNOWING that they did it, trying to cover their assess by not ADMITTING that they gave you the wrong med at the wrong time, out of sequence (probably didn't have their syringes properly labeled) and you're left traumatized with a world of questions.

In an american hospital, mistakes happen too, but there are so many procedures in place (time outs, reviews reviews reviews, charting charting charting...) to A)prevent these errors, and B)to make sure they are NOT covered up but turned into learning experiences and new policies to prevent recurrence... THIS is why, no matter how good the doc and hospital, I would not go out of country for a procedure. And no, you probably have no recourse.

If you still feel you need the VSG, be open to it, but find a REPUTABLE US surgical practice.

Bottom line, as an ICU nurse, what actually happened to you, based on your description, was what I described. I am SO SO sorry that it happened to you, and hope that you will give the folks on this forum an opportunity to express the same (your title for this thread grabbed me! I'm sure it will grab others).

Hang in, good luck.

Edited by pcindy

I have no idea what you are talking about. We are just other ordinary people who are supporting each other. I have no recollection of any post by you. I do not want to be tarred with a brush of not caring because that is not true. What happened to you?

Jane x

I, too, am sorry that you didn't get more replies, but like the others, I didn't see your post. I'm sorry you had complications, and I hope you're feeling better.

I hope you are feeling better, that must have been a very frightening experience. I can only imagine how you felt. I hope that you are doing well. Like the rest of the posters I did not see your original posting. : (

I also did not see your post. I am not on every day. I would surely have responded if I had. I am so sorry. This site is a wonderful place for support. As was said earlier, you would have gotten alot of responses if it was titled "I almost died last night". I wish you the best, and hope you don't give up on VSG. It is the best thing I ever did for myself.

I saw your thread but didn't have time to respond to it at the time.

I'm very sorry for what you went through. It sounds like a terrifying experience.

Your mom must have been scared out of her mind as well!

Good luck to you and please let us know what you decide to do...whether you will re-schedule your surgery or not.

Sorry for being a cry baby I was mostl reacting because the thread had eight six views last check and three responses I am just still freaked out I didn't want to post the title of the original thread to sound like drama queen lol but here I go being one

I would like to find your thread and read it, because I would remember that one. I can't keep up anymore. There are soooo many posts every day and my internet is so friggin slow.

I'm so sorry you had trouble. I'm looking forward to finding your post can you tell me what section and date to look in?

I was one of those that viewed it but didn't respond--mostly because I am brand new to the boards and didn't know what to say. So I'm glad you wrote in your subject line that you were disappointed in the site because I realized that even though I'm brand new, other members still want/need to hear from me.

First, I am so glad that you are okay and hope that the nightmares go away soon. And second, I want to thank you for posting in detail what happened. I am in the process of considering weight loss surgery and it's so important to hear the entire spectrum of experiences. Your experience sounded horrific. Thank God your mom was there and that they took immediate steps to bring you back.

Please keep posting on your process and again, I am so very glad you made it back to tell your story.

Here is what info I found out about the drug: it is also part of the coctail that Michael Jackson had in his system.

Midazolam hydrochloride is commonly used for dental or endoscopic procedures. Although generally consisted safe when given intramuscularly, intravenous administration is known to cause respiratory and cardiovascular depression.

Midazolam Dosing for Endoscopic Sedation

Adult

• Initial dose: 1-2 mg
  • 1 mg administered at 2-minute intervals
  • Onset of action: 1-2 minutes
  • Peak effect: 3-4 minutes
  • Duration of effect: 15-80 minutes

Notes:

• Dose needs to be individualized based on age, underlying diseases, and concurrent medications. Individual response will vary with age, physical status and concomitant medications, but may also vary independent of these factors.
  • Midazolam should always be titrated slowly; administer over at least 2 minutes and allow an additional 2 or more minutes to fully evaluate the sedative effect.
  • Decrease dose by approximately 30% if narcotics or other CNS depressants are administered concomitantly.
  • Personnel and equipment needed for standard respiratory resuscitation should be immediately available during midazolam administration.

Top of Page

Over sedation

Symptoms

• The manifestations of midazolam overdosage reported are similar to those observed with other benzodiazepines, including sedation, somnolence, confusion, impaired coordination, diminished reflexes, coma and untoward effects on vital signs. No evidence of specific organ toxicity from midazolam overdosage has been reported.

Treatment

• Treatment of injectable midazolam overdosage is the same as that followed for overdosage with other benzodiazepines.
  • Respiration, pulse rate and blood pressure should be monitored and general supportive measures should be employed. Attention should be given to the maintenance of a patent airway and support of ventilation, including administration of oxygen.
  • Should hypotension develop, treatment may include intravenous Fluid therapy, repositioning, judicious use of vasopressors appropriate to the clinical situation, if indicated, and other appropriate countermeasures.
  • There is no information as to whether peritoneal dialysis, forced diuresis or hemodialysis are of any value in the treatment of midazolam overdosage.
  • Flumazenil is a specific benzodiazepine-receptor antagonist that is indicated for the complete or partial reversal of the sedative effects of benzodiazepines and may be used in situations when an overdose with a benzodiazepine is known or suspected.

here is another link too:

RxMed: Pharmaceutical Information - VERSED

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

I stand by my theory that you weren't given midazolam. We give it in ICU extremely frequently, almost excusivly IV, and in all my years, I have NEVER even heard of a reaction such as you described. The paralytics given before intubation produce EXACTLY the results you describe. They intended to give you midazolam, they TOLD you that they gave you midazolam. They were trying to cover their asses by asserting that YOU had a bad reaction. You didn't. They gave you the wrong drug. Find an anesthesiologist or CRNA and show them your post and my response. They will shake their head and agree with me.

Another bit of proof that I'm right: midazolam/Versed has a strong amnesia quality. Having one's diaphragm paralized is a horrible sensation (as you know). That is why Versed is used- to sedate (make it bearable), and to ensure that the patient doesn't remember the incident to be haunted by it later. If you'd been given it, you would NEVER remember this incident.

Edited by pcindy

At this point I know it was given too fast and I agree likely the wrong drug.