Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anything I can do????

I was hoping I would escape the Hair loss delima but it has arrived. I noticed my hair falling out about the end of May. I take Biotin every day and I am using the 3 step Shampoo system from Sally's for thinning hair and I pray. I purely dread to wash my hair because that is when I get lots of hair in my hand. Is there anything else I can do that anyone knows of? I have fine hair anyway and I just can not afford to lose much more hair!:001_tt2:

Deb, I really wish I had better news, but you just have to wait it out.

I had gallbladder surgery February 4th, and guess what? Yep, my hair is falling out again. It started at the end of April with just a little, and I thought it was just normal shedding. But, now it's coming out pretty heavily again.

I know it's discouraging, but hang in there. You're doing everything you can. The regrowth will start coming in, but nothing is going to stop the losing. I used the Folicure extra care Shampoo to help with regrowth.

OMG guys that really happens??. The doctor told me MAKE SURE i TAKE 100% Biotin and 100% zinc in my Multivitamin to avoid that from happening. I didnt take it seriously and I have been slacking on the Vitamins. I guess I need to get back in gear with it....

Those of you who have lost some hair - (and I'm assuming it will happen to 99% of us??) - what do you do? Do you wear a wig or what? How much do you lose and where do you lose it - all over your head - or just in the front or what? Thanks.

I think mine is coming from all over my head. It is not to the point that I need to wear a wig or anything. I doubt anyone else can even notice it at all. It is just really hard to ignore when I brush or comb it and it is everwhere. I have never heard of taking the zinc. I think I will add that too.

Those of you who have lost some hair - (and I'm assuming it will happen to 99% of us??) - what do you do? Do you wear a wig or what? How much do you lose and where do you lose it - all over your head - or just in the front or what? Thanks.

I literally lost half of my hair in volume. I lost the majority from the top and back of my head. I had regrowth coming back in before the shedding stopped. It didn't leave me with any bare spots, or needing a wig. I had extremely thick, coarse hair pre-op. It's growing back, but I'm assuming it will take a minimum of a solid year, maybe 18 months for my hair to return to pre-op volume. I have a lot of new growth ranging from 3-8 inches in length. I have lots of little chia pet hairs sticking up at the crown of my head. My stylist told me to avoid blow drying, or other heat processes during the losing stage. Also, to stop coloring and highlighting my hair. I had my hair colored and highlighted one last time in mid-September then didn't do anything else to it until January when the shedding had stopped. I chopped my hair off, and layer stacked it up the back to give the illusion of volume.

Here's an article that explains why we experience this Hair loss, and why it can happen with any trauma or surgery. It's not all related to us having weight loss surgery.

Telogen Effluvium: eMedicine Dermatology

My multi has Biotin and zinc and that didn't stop my losing. I lost for a solid 3.5 months. I also got in Protein from food sources from around 6-7 months out. It happens, it's temporary and the hair does grow back. It's frustrating and scary. Believe me, I never thought my shedding would stop, but it did.

YES.....get yourself some NIOXIN.....get the whole set, Shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. Use it everyday. There are several mixtures so get the one that's right for you.....I used #4 since I had thinning hair and it was colored. Stopped the Hair loss within 1 week.

Good luck.

I used Nioxin Shampoo conditioner and scalp treatment and it didn't do anything other than dry out my hair.

I had gall bladder surgery in November and my hair started falling out again.

I have new hair coming in all over the place, but sometimes I wonder if it will ever stop falling out.

I doubt if it's a Protein problem because I love my Protein shakes and bars, and I eat plenty of Protein too.

I've had 3 surgeries since November '09 and they've all been spaced a few months apart to where I've been constantly shedding hair since February. My hair was already much thinner and lankier than it used to be because of my PCOS, but I definitely noticed more coming out.

I don't have any bald spots, I just have thin coverage. I am not happy with it, but my husband has been adamant the whole time that my hair looks "fine" so I'm not too concerned that it's unsightly or something!

I've been taking Biotin the whole time, which I feel is important so that when my hair does start growing back, it can grow in healthy, full and quickly. I know it's not going to stop it from shedding in the first place because of the physical processes occurring (see Tiffykins link about telogen effluvium), but 1) it does give you some sense of control over a somewhat distressing problem and 2) it's a good investment into the awesome hair you're going to wind up with.

I've had lots of people at my doctor's office who had WLS themselves say their hair wound up growing back so much nicer than it ever was before since their hormones and diet were under control. I'm definitely looking forward to that. I haven't been happy with my hair for at least 5 years and it used to be so thick and nice.

Keep a positive attitude and try not to fret too much. :thumbup:

I have been using Nutri-ox...which is Sally's brand of Nioxin, I thought. I have been using it since the end of April and I am still losing too much hair....especially at Shampoo time. Do you think the name brand Nioxhin is better. I am willing to switch to anything. I am taking Biotin and added the zinc. I sure hope this ends soon. I have had lots of surgeries in my life and I have never lost hair!!!

No, like I said, I used the name brand Nioxin Shampoo, the conditioner, and the scalp treatment for several months before surgery and for 9 months post op and it did not help one bit. It seems to be unavoidable.