Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for about a month. DH and I were both banded in TJ by Dr. Ortiz on July 11th. We are both doing well. With pre-op I have lost 18 lbs and DH has lost 30. We are both at pretty much a stand still in the last week and a half or so. Trying to follow all the rules, we are on all food as of Tuesday, but it is hard to get and stay full. Walking about 2-3 miles a day and trying to limit calories. DH is having a much harder time. Maybe cause I have dealt with being overweight my whole life and have been dieting since I was 14 and he only started having a weight problem after we got married 19 years ago.

Good luck to us all.

Hey guys! It's me Charlie...banded on the 12th...met you as you were walking the halls.

The Fat Free/SF popcycles help a lot. Also, the green tea helps. V-8 juice things like that in between. You have no restriction until the fill (at least I do not). Am scheduled for 9/12 for a fill. What about you?

Have also hit a stand still on the weight loss but am trying to only weigh once a week.

Remember that more Protein will help you stay fuller longer.

Charlie

I have a fill scheduled for Aug 14th... I don't understand why I am not losing weight because I personally don't think I need a fill, I'm not eating much, but maybe its too much? I don't know... hopefully the fill won't hurt too much because he doesn't numb it first! ahh! I leave a week after he fills me for school in NYC so I hope nothing happens! Other than that, I'm doing good... at a standstill of 18 pounds lost.

I am at 15 pounds lost now. But I am sick so that really isn't fair. I don't eat enough in one day to fill a fly. But I hope to be feeling better soon.

Congrats on all of ya'll's successes.

Beth

I really liked the McD's Asian salad with GRILLED not fried, chicen before surgery...w/o the nuts, I don't think it's too bad. I'm anxious to see if I can eat it when I am back to solids.

<TABLE borderColor=#cccccc cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center bgColor=#ffffff rowSpan=2>Nutrition Facts</TD><TD noWrap bgColor=#eeeeee rowSpan=2>servingsize_g.gif </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff rowSpan=2>calories_w.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#eeeeee rowSpan=2>caloriesfromfat_g.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff rowSpan=2>totalfat_w.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#eeeeee rowSpan=2>dailyvalue_g.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff rowSpan=2>saturatedfat_w.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#eeeeee rowSpan=2>dailyvalue_g.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff rowSpan=2>transfat_w.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#eeeeee rowSpan=2>cholesterol_g.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff rowSpan=2>dailyvalue_w.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#eeeeee rowSpan=2>sodium_g.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff rowSpan=2>dailyvalue_w.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#eeeeee rowSpan=2>carbohydrates_g.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff rowSpan=2>dailyvalue_w.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#eeeeee rowSpan=2>dietaryfiber_g.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff rowSpan=2>dailyvalue_w.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#eeeeee rowSpan=2>sugars_g.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff rowSpan=2>protein_w.gif</TD><TD align=middle colSpan=4>% Daily Value</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee>vitamina_g.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>vitaminc_w.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#eeeeee>calcium_g.gif</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>iron_w.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left colSpan=24>Salads</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left bgColor=#ffffff>Asian Salad with Grilled Chicken</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>12.7 oz (362 g)</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>290</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>90</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>10</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>15</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>1</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>5</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>0</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>65</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>21</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>890</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>37</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>23</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>8</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>6</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>22</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>12</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>31</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>130</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>90</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee>15</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>20</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

i'm still on stuck at my current weight loss. I haven't lost anymore weight since i started eating real food. I know all the weight i lost is because i was only eating liquids for so long.

I actually got out and exercised. I know i'm a month post op but i just started. I was never big on exercising so yesterday i was proud of myself for actually getting out and doing that. I just walked for 30 mins but it felt pretty good.

So anybody else start exercising? if so any difficulties w/the band and exercising?

Hey guys! It's me Charlie...banded on the 12th...met you as you were walking the halls.

The Fat Free/SF popcycles help a lot. Also, the green tea helps. V-8 juice things like that in between. You have no restriction until the fill (at least I do not). Am scheduled for 9/12 for a fill. What about you?

Have also hit a stand still on the weight loss but am trying to only weigh once a week.

Remember that more Protein will help you stay fuller longer.

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Nice speaking to you again. Yea, we have fills scheduled for 8/25 but that seems a long way away!

I think the hardest thing is going to be not drinking with a meal. I can understand the not drinking after eating for an hour but can anyone tell me why not before? The liquid will go right through the band and not flush anything through.

I think the hardest thing is going to be not drinking with a meal. I can understand the not drinking after eating for an hour but can anyone tell me why not before? The liquid will go right through the band and not flush anything through.

Charlie, Here is the reason why the two can not be combined. I am taking this info. from my dr's bariatric nutritionist. Hope it helps you.

Why can't the Protein and the fluids be consumed together?

Drinking fluids at the same time as solids will fill your pouch with Fluid, making less room available for protein. Vomiting is also more likely to occur, especially after three or more band adjustments. It is important to avoid combining liquids and solids for several reasons:

1) The slushy mixture of liquids plus protein will leave the pouch faster than the protein alone, which may result in early hunger and snacking behaviour.

2) You may be unable to meet your daily protein needs if there is less room for protein in the pouch.

Soup is an example of liquids and solids eaten together, and therefore soup is not recommended. Soup is also not a protein-rich food. Thicker stews containing adequate amounts of protein may be eaten with a fork.

broth can be consumed as a liquid in-between meals.

Cereal AND MILK is another low protein, liquid/solid comination that should be avoided. High protein oatmeal can be used as an altenative to cold cereal and milk.

This doesn't mean my nutritionist has any better answer than anyone else's doc or nutritionist. This is what my doc wants me to follow.

Also, for those of you who are bummed about slowing down on the weightloss, please remember that the first 6 weeks are for healing.. any weightloss is a bonus in this time frame because we are not filled yet. You all have blown the doors off my weightloss. I've been banded for a week and i've lost 7 pounds, some are you have far more than I have. Good for you.

I am able to drink at any time before my meal, just not with my meal (when I'm eating again that is) and to wait at least 90minutes-2 hours after the meal. I started practicing this on my pre-op diet and it was fine. I think that if I'm drinking plenty of Water throughout the day, I don't have a problem with this. I was pretty surprised that it was as easy as it was for me, cuz I was a big drinker with meals....almost every bite I would drink.

Thanks KMO and Mary. My main question was before meals, not with. I can understand the with and after just not the before!

My bad charlie, I can drink up to 30 before a meal. I will ask the doc why tomorrow when i go in for my check up. It's a good question.

I thought this would be helpful for those of us who try and compare our weight loss with others. It was sent to me.

When can you compare your weight loss to someone else?

Original Text - Copyright 2005

When can you compare your weight loss to someone else?

A lot of people post on the message boards wanting to compare their

weight loss to someone else. It may be helpful to make some

comparisons regarding experiences with a particular surgeon,

hospital, procedure, recovery, etc. When it comes to comparing

weight loss that is a very slippery slope to start down unless you

can are exactly like the other person in at least all these

categories...

You both have the same family history regarding obesity

You have both lost and regained weight since puberty in exactly the

same pattern

You both have exactly the same metabolic rates

You both have the same history regarding activity levels

You both are eating exactly the same way now and being totally

honest with each other about your calorie and food intake

You both have exactly the same activity level and being totally

honest with each other about your current activity level

You both weighed exactly the same at the time of surgery and have

lost at exactly the same rate

You are both the same sex

Your band placement/fill/surgery is absolutely identical

You both have exactly the same levels of stress in your life

You both have exactly the same levels of support in your life

If you can answer yes to all of these questions you might consider

comparing yourselves to each other with regard to weight loss.

However, be cautioned that even with all the above being identical

it does not guarantee you will lose weight at exactly the same pace.

Moral of the story is to concentrate on changing the behaviors you

need to change, follow your Physician's orders, and take care of

yourself. You will experience less frustration and enjoy the journey

more if you Lose the comparing.

Thought for the day,

Dr. Gary

Gary E. Calhoun, Ph.D.

Email: drgary@mylapband.com

www.mylapband.com

Does anybody have pain when you bend down? I do. I have to bend down to feed the dog and it just about kills me. I was just wondering.

Sometimes when I bend over I can feel my port, but I don't necessarily feel pain.

I do, however feel it doing weird things when I ride my stationary recumbant bike because my stomach moves up and down with the motion of my thighs hitting it. It's very strange...