Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Funny Silver Lining

I'm about to begin my surgery journey and read this site daily. I see how little are portion sizes and issues people have with eating at restaurants or on dates and it hit me - the silver lining to our portion sizes is that now artfully arranged sushi and fancy french cuisine are full meals!:tongue_smilie: A date at a sushi restaurant where two pieces of sashimi are slowly consumed wouldn't raise anyone's curiosity and that overpriced french dish with one sprig of something balanced on one morsel of something is suddenly just right! =) I guess I'm a dork but the image of this just struck me as funny.:001_rolleyes:

Oh yes! I'm still learning to buy less food and throw stuff away all the time, so fancy restaurants (and sushi!) is my new favourite, too. I can manage four sushi pieces, and it's my new feel good food anyway.

I'm about to begin my surgery journey and read this site daily. I see how little are portion sizes and issues people have with eating at restaurants or on dates and it hit me - the silver lining to our portion sizes is that now artfully arranged sushi and fancy french cuisine are full meals!;) A date at a sushi restaurant where two pieces of sashimi are slowly consumed wouldn't raise anyone's curiosity and that overpriced french dish with one sprig of something balanced on one morsel of something is suddenly just right! =) I guess I'm a dork but the image of this just struck me as funny.:w00t:

NOPE no dorkiness here! you are totally correct! that sprig of bush on a piece of whatever IS enough for us now. . .talk about "chick food" gosh, now we can literally eat how the rich eat! nothing cause they are in too much debt! hehehe. . .

It's strange and no doubt there are deeply psychological something or others involved but, one of the things I am looking forward to after the surgery is in fact, food. I long for the day when I will be able to fully appreciate the artistry of food, rather than the volume. Also being able to participate in foodie culture and not have it be any kind of concern that I'm not getting my "money's worth" because I "must have" volumes of food. There is a sushi place in San Francisco that does these "perfect bite" spoons - a miso Soup spoon artfully loaded with the perfect amalgam of flavors and textures. I will be able to fully appreciate that, mind body and spirit now, rather than just mind and tongue while intending to hork down a giant plate of tempura and Soup and and and ...

Maybe I read the dining section of the New York Times too much! lol, They always have these incredible pictures of food from la ti da restaurants; just yesterday there was a picture of a single egg yolk in a shallow bowl, with a foam of something surrounding it, and a tiny trail of grains. Just right!! :lol0:

Globetrotter, for me it's been exactly like that. I can take one piece of (dark) chocolate and enjoy the flavour. And stop at one! And I'm happy if I go to a restaurant and the portions are manageable, not insanely huge like some places - well, that's how it feels now. Before I'd just have been happy the portions were large. If you can choose your own portion size I fill up my plate with mostly lettuce so it doesn't look so odd to take so little food.< /p>

This is something I'm looking forward to also. I hate going to a resturant now and inhaling the food. I'm always the first one down and I feel like I look like a pig eating. I would love to have a tiny plate of food and be satisfied after eating it slowly for a while.