Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Indoor exercise?

After surgery, I'll be in for a long North Dakota winter. I know I'm not going to drive to Curves in a blizzard, and I don't have a TV for wii. What kind of low-impact exercise can I do in the house without buying equipment?

Thanks

Donna, you might consider getting a Richard Simmons exercise DVD. I have some of the old ones on VHS, Sweatin' to the Oldies and the music is good. They have all different kinds of folks in the video at different weight loss stages. I think it is a pretty good work out...

Hip Hop Abs, hip hop abs. . . I swear by those DVDs. My stomach shrunk up significantly, and I absolutely love that they have a "modified" girl that I could follow.

I did these DVDs at 250+lbs, and they didn't absolutely kill me or my knees. I just ordered a new set because my set from years ago had worn out.

I ordered my new set from ebay for $20. I got the Total Body Burn, Fat burning cardio, and Ab Sculpt. You can also get them on Amazon.com new or used.

For me, it's the easiest, and most "Fun" dvd Work out, and I've done a bunch of them. I either get bored, or they just suck. The "walk away the pounds" are good ones if you like walking, but I hated just walking after 30 minutes.

I have heard that the hip hop abs are really good. I will be looking into that myself as soon as the doctor oks me to get back to exercising. I have a membership but I need something to keep me busy when I am not at the gym.

I am 5 weeks out. I have been using the tread mill for 2 weeks. I have a Gilad exercise dvd that I will start on Monday. I'll go easy on the stomach stuff for a week. At 6 weeks I am told I can do abd exercises. I am anxious to be able to do a full work out.

Tiffykins, what kind of music is on those DVD's? Is it "Hip Hop"? Please say no...it sounds like something I'd like to try, I need abd work and that sounds like the ticket!:svengo:

It's not like hardcore hip hip. It's more like the pop stuff. "Dontcha" by the Pussycat dolls, and other radio pop music. It isn't vulgar, body grinding, pole dancing music.

You can also turn the music level down on the menu of the DVD so you don't have music blaring. It's kind of just in the background.

thanks, I was at the store yesterday and we ended up getting the WiiFit Plus...will be checking that in the next few days. probably doesn't work abds thou! :-(

Buy a Wii! It's actually a surprisingly decent workout to play some of those games, and it's way less boring than 100 crunches, or whatever. Plus, the Wii Fit helps you track your weight and such.

thanks, I was at the store yesterday and we ended up getting the WiiFit Plus...will be checking that in the next few days. probably doesn't work abds thou! :-(

I have the WiiFit+, but it doesn't hold my attention. But, that is just my personality. I know others that absolutely love it.

The girlfriend likes the Wii Fit more than I do (she's into yoga and whatnot). I like the regular Wii games -- upper body workouts galore in the Wii Sports games!

There a many walkin DVDs. Try them. I found that they are great for indoor activity if you don't have a Wii.

When you want to get really serious later on down the track too, you can always set up your own circuits. OK, its hard with NO equipment but you can pick up a dumbell or barbell cheaply.

I use my treadmill, but you could use a skipping rope instead. I have a circuit timer, I set it to ping every 2 minutes. I run for 2 minutes, do squat jumps for 2 minutes, run for 2, lunges for 2, run for 2, full body pushups for 2, run for 2, situps for 2, run for 2 chairdips for 2, run for 2, step ups on chair for 2 and so on, I try to go for about 45 minutes to an hour. Sometimes I lift a small bag of potting mix as a weight - 10kg or so, the instability of it will make muscles hurt that you never knew were there.

This can be a really INTENSE top quality workout that will burn more than 500 calories - not for the faint hearted but of course, you start out with an easier version suited to your current level and build from there. I find it fun, I just put the ipod in my ears and go for it. Its a great way to combine strength and cardio and its that interval style heart rate through the roof sort of thing rather than slow and steady - which burns a lot of fat.

Thanks everybody. I ended up buying the Walk at Home DVD. I'll see how that goes, and then branch out once I've mastered that one.

I purchased the Wii game "Just Dance" and it is a blast. All you need are the Wii controllers. There is a lot of music from the 70s,80s,and 90s...etc. The characters on screen do moves and you follow them. I have had a good time with this DVD and recommend it . :) The nice thing is that you are having fun while you exercise.