Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having trouble getting my Protein in...I just started yesterday (3 days out) I can only very, very, very slowly sip on my shakes because of my sternum feeling which I assume is the swelling. Is just getting some better than none or should I be trying something else? I have been concentrating on not getting dehydrated because I do not want to go back to the hospital, so I have been doing Jello and sf popsicles as much as I can. I estimate i'm getting around 20 grams. I know it's gonna get easier but for now that's all I can do! Any advice is greatly appreciated..thank you guys!

You're OK! Almost every single one of us worried about the same thing and couldn't get all the Protein in right off the bat. It is because of the swelling... you'll notice over the next few of weeks that you'll be able to drink more, and not as slowly as you have to now. Are you on clears or full liquids? Even if you're on clears, Isopure and nectar both count and having those will kill two birds with one stone (water and protein), so having those all day long will help you get it in.

Anyway though, my original point was that you're normal! LOL...at this point your big focus is on not getting dehydrated, and soon enough you'll be able to get all the Protein in. Oh, and congrats on your sleeve, you're gonna love this! :001_smile:

I am probably speaking out of turn as I've not even had my sleeve surgery yet, but here goes.

I do not understand why a doctor would release a patient who can't even swallow enough Water to prevent dehydration! This is something I will be discussing at my surgical consult June 17th.

Is it because we are having an elective surgery? Like I said I may be speaking out of turn, but I think you should still be in the hospital on an IV till you can at least swallow water! :001_smile: Shame on your doctor!!

I didn't even worry about Protein at all until day 5 when I could start drinking my Protein Shakes. That's what my surgeon told me to do. The most important thing in the first few days was getting in the fluids.

And it definitely gets easier!

I am probably speaking out of turn as I've not even had my sleeve surgery yet, but here goes.

I do not understand why a doctor would release a patient who can't even swallow enough Water to prevent dehydration! This is something I will be discussing at my surgical consult June 17th.

Is it because we are having an elective surgery? Like I said I may be speaking out of turn, but I think you should still be in the hospital on an IV till you can at least swallow water! :001_smile: Shame on your doctor!!

Kitty...she can drink Water just fine...it's the amount of Protein she's able to get in now that she's worried about.

Nobody is going to drink 64oz of Fluid a day when they first come home nor do they expect you to.

The hospital will make sure you can drink an adequate amount to stay hydrated before they release you.

Its certainly hard to drink at first but it is important to keep at it. I get your point, but I wouldn't have wanted to stay an extra night just because I "might" get dehydrated. Its one of those things that if it should happen, you can always go get a little IV fluids on an outpatient basis.

Good luck in your upcomming consult..... You may feel a little more at ease after discussing all this with your doctor.

take care

stacey

Hydration is what matters at your stage. Make your best efforts with Protein, but don't stress. Your body can handle a few days with low protein, but it can not do time without fluids. I even had to do gatorade a couple days and it didn't slow my weight loss, but it did ensure that my body kept on moving. You are doing great! Best of luck.

Thanks guys it is getting better...today is day 4 and I actually feel like myself again. I have actual hunger feeling and can get liquid down a little more. I feel better knowing I don't have to stress about my Protein right now:biggrin0:...thanks everyone!

I gots some gatorade today. Hope to drink some of that with Water.< /p>