Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing much - really freaked out about failing

I was sleeved on March 19. So far I have lost 20 pounds and most of that was nearly immediately. Once again I fear I will be the only person who had this surgery and loses 20 pounds and maybe that is it. I am concerned because I feel the same hunger as before surgery only now I can't eat as much so my only choice is to be hungry or eat more often. Today I am in a self pity place. I think I will get on the treadmill instead but I am sure kind of depressed right now.

I don't have all the answers but I do know that I too have days where I feel hungry all day long....I especially felt that right around my period. It finally passed but I had exactly the same fears that you wrote about. I'm home sick today and feeling a bit mopey myself...but I really applaud that you are being honest on here and that you are going to get onto the treadmill....

sending you some good thoughts!

A PPI reduces the hunger, are you on Prilosec or nexium? Often people get hungry if they have eaten carbs. Are you getting 60-70 grams of Protein? Are you drinking 64oz of Water? Stalls are common in the 3rd week. I went 9 days without losing a lb, but i just hung in there. Be patient if you follow the rules, it will work. Best of luck

I had surgery the day before you, and I still haven't hit the 20 pound mark yet. I think those of us with less to lose just have to accept that we're going to lose fewer pounds per week/month/whatever than those with more to lose. Other than that, I agree that if you are eating a lot of carbs and skimping on your Protein and Water, you are going to feel hungrier.

I was stuck for almost four weeks at about three weeks out, and I was ready to tear my hair out. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but when I really concentrated on getting all my Protein in and drastically cutting back the carbs, I finally started to lose again. And although I'm only 18 point something pounds down, that's still on track to get me to my goal in just over six months. So I'll take it.

Be patient, drink your Water, eat your protein, and try not to drive yourself crazy! We'll get there!

Stalling out can be several things.

Do you have a structured meal plan?

Dietary guidelines from your surgeon or nutritionist?

How many calories are getting in daily?

How much exercise are you getting in?

Are you on a PPI such as Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid?

Answers to most of these will help us help you get the scale moving again. Relax, breathe, and know that you can WIN. Get rid of the negativity, and focus on the positive. Try not to stress because that can keep the body from letting of going pounds as well.

I'm kinda freaked out too. I'm not really losing either but I think I am still at the point where I can write it off as a normal post op stall. Its so frustrating though. There's just no way this wont work.... we hardly eat a fraction of what we had before. I'm trying to increase my exercise but its hard not to get discouraged. I know this isn't a very helpful response.... but lyour not alone

stacey

I got on the scale tuesday and was down a lb from Monday.

I got on the scale wednesday and didn't lose anything. I got on the scale thursday and didn't lose anything.

I quit getting on the scale.

LOL

My wife and I got sleeved together March 16th so around the same time as you.

I am down 40lbs. and she is down 21, so my wife is about the same as you.

Women lose slower. Make sure you getting your 60 grams of Protein each day and 64 oz of Water.< /p>

I am in the same situation.....each 1/2 pound comes between a week of waiting for it. I try to focus on what the others are saying. You can't eat this little food and not lose weight. Also, I went to my GP for extreme fatigue. she told me that I was not eating enough...less than 500 cals a day. The body switches to that "starvation mode". She urged me to try for at least 800 nutrious calories for the fatigue and sure enough I started to drop a bit. Slowly, but inching along. Hang in there.

I was sleeved on March 19. So far I have lost 20 pounds and most of that was nearly immediately. Once again I fear I will be the only person who had this surgery and loses 20 pounds and maybe that is it. I am concerned because I feel the same hunger as before surgery only now I can't eat as much so my only choice is to be hungry or eat more often. Today I am in a self pity place. I think I will get on the treadmill instead but I am sure kind of depressed right now.

It is the one thing you aren't supposed to pray for: patience! : ) Cause you just might get it!

Take it slow and steady. I get on the scale almost every day - unless I am not at home, and often the scale is up a pound or juggles by half a pound up and down. It certainly is one step forward, two steps back. And back and forth. The scale will move downward, just not constantly or as fast as you may want.

It will work. Give it a chance. Your body needs to adjust to the changes. Trick it once in awhile. Add calories for a few days. Then add carbs for a few days. Then go back to your plan. You will likely see a change.

Hang in there! And stay positive - the better "p" word! :001_cool:

Thanks to all of you for your posts. I think that I am following the rules but I appreciate the suggestions and will revisit my plan to be sure I am doing the right things. I also appreciate hearing from others who are also near the same weight loss rate that I am since it helps me feel that is is more normal than I thought and that I am not alone. I think age also plays a role - I am 57 and I am beginning to see that older people seem to lose a bit slower as well. I am grateful for the responses and will keep the faith and check my nutrition, Water and excercise and push forward. Thanks!!