Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any People With Gastric Sleeve Leaks?

Did you have any symptoms? I can't believe you had a leak over a month out! so sorry!!

My leak was unusal as leaks go. I was six weeks out, the symtoms mimiced the flu or roto virus. They were nausa, throwing-up, back pain, stomach pain, and fever of 102 that would come and go. The day before I finally "crashed" I was at Surgerons office had no fever and I felt like I was getting over flu weak. Next day Play six holes of golf started throwing up, felt like pasting outand shaking, Ambulancewas called they thought it was my heart until describe previous symtoms to Er doc he took cat scan and found golf ball size abcess.

Its been a year and two months since leak healed and haveI lost about 140Lbs. 17 inches in waist and went from xxxl to medium shirts. Feel great most days. Breath great can walk up hills. Blood work done last month and numbers are very good, no high blood pressure. meds. Problems I have is 1. I get low blood suger shakes so I drink a coke and feel better, 2. heart burn, and 3. Constipation. I can eat most everthing except bread like sandwich bread, Pasta is fine. no more than 4oz at meal. Don't crave sweets as much I eat around 2000 + excercise calories a day mostof time a little less. I do get hungry when forget to eat. No regrets.

I am glad to hear that those who have had leaks are doing well. I had VS on July 8th, stomach ruptured on July 15th, and stayed in the hospital until Aug. 6th. I am home with a JP drain and a J tube for feeding. The doctor wanted to put a stint in but I was too afraid. I told him I was ok with the feeding tube because I just did not want to take a chance of the stint weakening any other tissue around it. I am on Clear liquids and go to the doctor of a check up tomorrow. Not sure when I will go back in for an upper GI to check to see if the leak has healed. I would guess one day in the next week or so.

I have been so depressed because I can't take care of my family. It is hard to just sit here on a feeding tube and watch life go by. At this point this surgery was the worst mistake I have ever made in my life. I pray that I feel different when I am all well and back to "normal." I am hanging in there but would love to talk to others who have been through the same thing.

Thank you all,

Hansi

I am glad to hear that those who have had leaks are doing well. I had VS on July 8th, stomach ruptured on July 15th, and stayed in the hospital until Aug. 6th. I am home with a JP drain and a J tube for feeding. The doctor wanted to put a stint in but I was too afraid. I told him I was ok with the feeding tube because I just did not want to take a chance of the stint weakening any other tissue around it. I am on Clear Liquids and go to the doctor of a check up tomorrow. Not sure when I will go back in for an upper GI to check to see if the leak has healed. I would guess one day in the next week or so.

I have been so depressed because I can't take care of my family. It is hard to just sit here on a feeding tube and watch life go by. At this point this surgery was the worst mistake I have ever made in my life. I pray that I feel different when I am all well and back to "normal." I am hanging in there but would love to talk to others who have been through the same thing.

Thank you all,

Hansi

Hansi,

I felt same way when went thru my leak. It's has a a year and half since surgery and I don regret a bit I have reach my go weight and have no problems. Please be patient and try to relax and heal. This is just hiccup in the course of life. Your will get better.

Hansi,

I felt same way when went thru my leak. It's has a a year and half since surgery and I don regret a bit I have reach my go weight and have no problems. Please be patient and try to relax and heal. This is just hiccup in the course of life. Your will get better.

Thank you so much! I am a little better today. I went to the doctor earlier this afternoon and he took my drain out! That is a big step in the right direction I hope. I go tomorrow morning for another upper GI to see where we stand. I am praying that I have been on the fast track and may be healed. I will let you know when I get back. The other good news is that I drove myself to my appointment today, first time I have got to drive since July 14th. I am so happy. It felt good to be free.

Hansi

Driver-

I had my initial consultation with Dr. Marema last week and I asked him about his experience with leaks. He only mentioned one leak story and I think he was talking about you! He mentioned it was a little over a month out. Glad to hear it all worked out. :)

[i am doing great, just heart burn some times when I lay down to after eating. A year 3/4 out and keeping weight off. Dr.Marema and Dr. Koppleman are the best and the staff are too. I am the the >1% and they got me thru it. You will do great if follow you what they say. :D

I had my initial consultation with Dr. Marema last week and I asked him about his experience with leaks. He only mentioned one leak story and I think he was talking about you! He mentioned it was a little over a month out. Glad to hear it all worked out. :)

HI I just joined.. I am scheduled for sleeve on May 24 2012 I am reading all these posts to see what the complications can be after. So far I am seeing leaks, acid reflux and ulcers. I have also been reading about by pass (not that I am having that there are way to many side effects with that) One thing that worries me is people have been having seizuers Is this anything that anyone has ever heard of? I asked the nurse at my dr and she denies every hearing about this. but its on internet! so if anyone knows or can give me a true list of side effects/complications from the sleeve I would sooo apprciate it!

thank you

You could get leaks as you see. Choosing a good surgeon, following your post op diet make this less of a chance but really it can happen to anyone.

Reflux. I'd say everyone has reflux until your stomach's swelling goes down. I did until about a year post op.

Dizziness/rapid heartbeat. I don't know why this is but I've had several bouts of getting very tired, my heartrate accelerating, and just feeling horrible. It's not happened much recently but usually it was after a big meal or a meal with a lot of sugar.

I've been on the board nearly 2 years and I've never heard anything about seizures.

I had a leak 2 days post-revision. I had zero symptoms, and it was found during my final leak test about 2 hours before I was to be discharged.

It was immediately repaired. I did have drains, was on TPN via a pic line in my arm, and was restricted from consuming any food/liquids for 22 days.

My sleeve has healed nicely, and have had zero complications other than a hospitalization around 6 weeks post-revision due to abscesses in my abdominal and pelvic cavity. They suspect that microscopic bacteria lingered behind, and the abscesses developed slowly over those 6 weeks even though I came home on antibiotics.

Would you do this surgery again?

I am glad to hear that those who have had leaks are doing well. I had VS on July 8th, stomach ruptured on July 15th, and stayed in the hospital until Aug. 6th. I am home with a JP drain and a J tube for feeding. The doctor wanted to put a stint in but I was too afraid. I told him I was ok with the feeding tube because I just did not want to take a chance of the stint weakening any other tissue around it. I am on Clear liquids and go to the doctor of a check up tomorrow. Not sure when I will go back in for an upper GI to check to see if the leak has healed. I would guess one day in the next week or so.

Now that time has passed, how do you feel about the surgery?

Now that time has passed, how do you feel about the surgery?

Now that time has finally passed, I WOULD DO IT AGAIN. Please do not get me wrong, this was a life or death situation and I made it through. I am down 70 + lbs. was 232 at surgery and now I am 156. I went from a size 22 to an 8 currently. I feel wonderful and have more energy than I have had since I was a teenager. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have or for anyone else. Just call me 678-274-7280.

Hansi

ive had a leak, just like you exactly, it was my fault lol when they left me from hospital i just went out with my friends and started smoking 2days post op and ate 2 bag chips, then i started feeling very cold and i went back to hospital and they told me u had a leak.... and the stint still inside me they will remove it after 2 days.

ive had a leak, just like you exactly, it was my fault lol when they left me from hospital i just went out with my friends and started smoking 2days post op and ate 2 bag chips, then i started feeling very cold and i went back to hospital and they told me u had a leak.... and the stint still inside me they will remove it after 2 days.

Are you being serious?