Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh no!! I can't stop eating sweet things

I had VSG surgery just over 2 weeks ago. As it is uncomfortable to eat semi-solids I find that the easiest things to eat are sweets, chocolate and ice cream. Today I had a small bag of Jelly Beans and a small ice cream bar.

I find everything from soft eggs to cottage cheese is just so uncomfortable to eat, whereas the ice cream/sweets etc. just melt and so taste great (obviously) and do not cause any discomfort whatsoever.

Has anyone else experienced similar - I have lost 17 pounds in two weeks but for the last few days have lost nothing since adding all the sugar to my diet?

I had the surgery to solve a food "addiction" like most people - probably a little worse for me as I also suffer from GAD/OCD, but it just seems far too easy to cheat the system? I have not been give a diet plan as such from my surgeon - he just sort of left it to me.

Edited by conseccorp
adding extra info

I know it's not easy, but you have to force yourself to eat the right foods.

Think about everything you've gone through: major abdominal surgery and the removal of 80% of your stomach. Do you want that to be for nothing? You have made the brave choice and now have a great tool to help you manage your weight - so use the tool right. Not only are the sugary foods going to make it hard to lose weight, but they will slide through your sleeve and won't make you feel full, so you'll end up eating more.

Also, remember that if you don't get enough Protein, you'll lose your hair. Personally, I don't have much left, so that's a big motivator for me!

Good luck - I know it's not easy, but you can do it!

Thanks for the reply - I must say I thought it would be a lot easier than this! The first two weeks were so painful I couldn't eat anything anyway so I lost tons of weight.

The physical hunger has subsided but it's the damn phycological hunger that is actually the problem and I guess the sleeve does less to solve that.

If you can check with your insurance company, or self pay to see a licensed dietician/nutritionist. You can not go through this entire journey without the assistance of someone that can help you through this learning to eat again.

Here are 2 guidelines for post op VSG patients for food:

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

http://www.iabsobesitysurgery.com/Media/Forms/SleeveDietGuide.pdf

http://www.iabsobesitysurgery.com/Media/Forms/SleeveDietGuide.pdf

Here is a thread with great information, and ideas to use post-op for food options.

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/pre-op-post-op-diets/1822-dr-aceves-information.html

To help simplify the guidelines, this was my surgeons guidelines.

600-800 calories per day

no more than 30 grams of carbs per day

64ounces of Water per day

a minimum of 60 grams of Protein per day

They operate on our stomachs not our heads. That's a battle that we have to tackle. Some patients find counseling helps tremendously with their relationship with food. If your area has a local support group, you may find some assistance there as well.

Hey Conseccorp, Congrats on your surgery and weight loss so far!

The Cornell University diet guideline for vsg is my favorite, probably because it allowed me to move to soft mushy foods sooner : )

If you are craving sweets, then just choose something sugar free instead. sugar free pudding, sugar free drinks, there is even sugar free candy and light ice cream. It is likely a phase that you will pass soon. I even bought a container of frozen Sara Lee Cheesecake Bites. They are smaller than 1"x1/2". I will eat a couple when I need something sweet or to get rid of a certain taste after dinner. They add almost nothing to your food count. There are also those 100 calorie packs of Cookies, etc. Not sure if they are in the grocery stores in London. I don't remember ever seeing them in Europe but wasn't specifically looking either.

The mental has been much more difficult than the physical; you are not alone. After my first couple of weeks, I slowed down to about 2 pounds a week or so. Even with the slower loss, I am thrilled to be down over 30 pounds in two months. I certainly couldn't do it on my own.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Make a few gradual changes. You will get back on track : )

oh sweetie. you've discover what they call slider foods.they don't have much vaule when it comes to giving your body what it needs. i would go with tiff on this and also something that kept me togather is i use to spend soooo much money on take out foods and what nots. anyway the other day i just realize how BIG my saving account has gotten since i stop all the junk food and fast food. just a thought. also even if your insurance wont pay they have a diet. at your local health department that really cheap instend of fussing with my insurance i go and see her every 4 months or so and we talk about dietary changes and what nots if they have something like that in london.

conseccorp, the bottom line is you gotta stop it and stop it now. You can do it, you need to have a serious Come To Jesus talk with yourself and us or a support group or all of the above. You can do it buddy, the first few days of quitting sugar sucks, I imagine it would be like kicking any addictive chemical, but it's over fast and then the cravings are pretty much gone. You gotta quit or you're going to be terribly disappointed and no one wants to see that. We are here for you!!!

Carol